Author Topic: Admitting to myself that I'm gay  (Read 2321 times)

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Admitting to myself that I'm gay
« on: June 13, 2010, 05:43:53 PM »
This probably isn't much of a surprise to anyone who's read many of my posts, but I've came to the conclusion that I'm almost certainly gay. I've spent most of my life trying to convince myself that I was straight. My parents and sisters are slightly homophobic and most of my friends made a lot of jokes about gays, so being gay was never really an option for me. Although I knew I had a major crush on my female best friend I somehow managed to convince myself this was a perfectly heterosexual thing :duh:. Since moving away from my friends and parents I've had a good chance to really think about what I really am without worrying about negative reactions from the people I'm close to.
The only people I really know here are my aunt, uncle and cousin and I decided to tell them today. They were all very supportive, it wasn't much of a surprise to any of them. One of the things that helped me realize I was gay was some of the questions some people had asked me on this site. I had been sure that I was bi, but having to think about some of the questions people were askig me helped me understand that was unlikely. So thanks :thumbup:
I've always had a problem with sex, and at least part of the problem in hindsight was the fact that I just didn't want to sleep with guys. I do kind of want to sleep with girls. When I walk down the street or drive around on my scooter I always find myself eyeing up woman, but never guys. All my crushes are towards women, but not towards guys. I do think some guys are very cute, I think Rafael Nadal is very good looking but I just wouldn't want to sleep with him.
I've no plans to come "out of the closet" to anyone IRL other than the 3 folk I mentioned. I'm supposed to be meeting my best friend very soon and I certainly won't be telling her. I definately won't be letting people in town know either, as this is a fairly small and very backwards town.
I'm not really sure why I'm starting a thread about it on the siite. I know it's probably a bit self-important making an anouncement to people who don't really know me, and who probably already knew I was gay before I did.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: Admitting to myself that I'm gay
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 07:08:03 PM »
It's OK to be a bit self-important here, it helps with postwhoring! :laugh:

Also, :thumbup:!
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

richard

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 09:14:20 PM »
thats cool. i can apprechiate your situation

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 10:32:26 PM »
This probably isn't much of a surprise to anyone who's read many of my posts, but I've came to the conclusion that I'm almost certainly gay. I've spent most of my life trying to convince myself that I was straight. My parents and sisters are slightly homophobic and most of my friends made a lot of jokes about gays, so being gay was never really an option for me. Although I knew I had a major crush on my female best friend I somehow managed to convince myself this was a perfectly heterosexual thing :duh:. Since moving away from my friends and parents I've had a good chance to really think about what I really am without worrying about negative reactions from the people I'm close to.
The only people I really know here are my aunt, uncle and cousin and I decided to tell them today. They were all very supportive, it wasn't much of a surprise to any of them. One of the things that helped me realize I was gay was some of the questions some people had asked me on this site. I had been sure that I was bi, but having to think about some of the questions people were askig me helped me understand that was unlikely. So thanks :thumbup:
I've always had a problem with sex, and at least part of the problem in hindsight was the fact that I just didn't want to sleep with guys. I do kind of want to sleep with girls. When I walk down the street or drive around on my scooter I always find myself eyeing up woman, but never guys. All my crushes are towards women, but not towards guys. I do think some guys are very cute, I think Rafael Nadal is very good looking but I just wouldn't want to sleep with him.
I've no plans to come "out of the closet" to anyone IRL other than the 3 folk I mentioned. I'm supposed to be meeting my best friend very soon and I certainly won't be telling her. I definately won't be letting people in town know either, as this is a fairly small and very backwards town.
I'm not really sure why I'm starting a thread about it on the siite. I know it's probably a bit self-important making an anouncement to people who don't really know me, and who probably already knew I was gay before I did.

Sounds awful. (Not the being gay bit but the trying to hide from yourself)
I try to conform to societal expectations in not being Aspie. I repress. That must not be nearly as bad as repressing your sexuality or feeling a sense of being wrong to feel what you naturally feel.
Big hugs mate and well done for being brave and allowing yourself o be comfortable being you
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 01:49:40 AM »
^^^
^^
^

What they said.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Mr Smith

• lardass
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 02:19:00 AM »
It can all be very confusing. I hardly look at men in the street but ALWAYs look at women, and im not attracted to them at all.

But I think its great finally being able to admit it - it's the first step. I wish you all the best and some day I think you will make a lady very happy.  ;)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 04:19:34 AM »
I'm supposed to be meeting my best friend very soon and I certainly won't be telling her.

Maybe she's in the closet too?  You could both be missing out.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 02:22:29 PM »
Thanks to everyone for being supportive :2thumbsup:. Believe it or not, untill I moved away from Scotland I had no idea at all that I wasn't straight.

I'm supposed to be meeting my best friend very soon and I certainly won't be telling her.

Maybe she's in the closet too?  You could both be missing out.

Sadly, I'm pretty sure she's not. She's never without a guy for more than a few weeks, and when she is single she just has loads of one-night stands. She's says she's not homophobic but she does say some stuff that makes me think that that that deep down she isn't as open-minded as she likes to think she is.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 02:26:31 PM »
I did't admit to myself that I was trans till I was 17

I think admitting it to yourself is actually the hardest thing
if you don't feel ok with telling your friend then just dont. maybe with time that will change, but there's no need to rush into tellig everyone if youre not sure about how theyll react. hopefully theyll react well tho.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 02:52:42 PM »
I did't admit to myself that I was trans till I was 17

I think admitting it to yourself is actually the hardest thing
if you don't feel ok with telling your friend then just dont. maybe with time that will change, but there's no need to rush into tellig everyone if youre not sure about how theyll react. hopefully theyll react well tho.

I think you might be right about admitting it to yourself being the hardest bit. Deep down I always wanted to do the whole normal life thing, get married and have a couple of kids. I've always loved babies and I've alqways got on really well with young kids. I find them easier to get along with than adults. I really wanted to be a mum someday. Admitting this to myself means admitting to myself that none of that is likely to happen.
I definately won't be rushing into telling people in my town. There's an openly gay couple and a guy that everyone says is gay but he isn't "out." The gay couple were bullied out of their house, and the guy who might be gay can't walk down the street without having kids shout abuse at him. His windows have been smashed aswell and his car tyres have been slashed a lot of times.
This is a very religious town, and very homophobic. I like to be anonymous, but if I were to be openly gay I would be the talk of the town. Everyone would know who I am. The thought of dealing with what those other people have had to deal with makes me pretty sure I'll keep this a secret as long as I can.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 05:43:14 PM »
Being honest with yourself is what matters. Nothing else.

Normal doesn't exist anyways, and being gay doesn't mean that someday you can't be a mom or have kids, you just might have to go about it differently. ;)

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 05:59:46 PM »
I don't think I could adopt. I think they have some kind of psychological test for people who want to adopt. I would certainly fail. If I ever was in a gay relationship and still living in this country I don't think it would be fair to have children anyway, the abuse they'd be subjected to in school would probably be horrendous. It wouldn't be right of me to put anybody through that.
I knoiw I could never raise a child by myself. The only way I could bring up a child properly would be if I had a partner who was for more sensible and responsible than myself.

richard

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 06:27:27 PM »
i would just like to say its been my experiance when dealing with homophobes that the more homophobic they are the chances of them being GAY are about as pink as thier toenail polish they have under there shoes. there so ghey infact that it turns there "unfortunate" situation into hate. its like freaking reverse phsycology or something

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 06:44:49 PM »
i would just like to say its been my experiance when dealing with homophobes that the more homophobic they are the chances of them being GAY are about as pink as thier toenail polish they have under there shoes. there so ghey infact that it turns there "unfortunate" situation into hate. its like freaking reverse phsycology or something
It's called reaction formation.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

richard

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 06:48:58 PM »
thank you for telling me what the science was.  :plus: