Author Topic: Neanderthal genome sequenced, interbreeding found  (Read 235 times)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
Neanderthal genome sequenced, interbreeding found
« on: May 28, 2010, 05:13:42 AM »
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/328/5979/710

Neandertals, the closest evolutionary relatives of present-day humans, lived in large parts of Europe and western Asia before disappearing 30,000 years ago. We present a draft sequence of the Neandertal genome composed of more than 4 billion nucleotides from three individuals. Comparisons of the Neandertal genome to the genomes of five present-day humans from different parts of the world identify a number of genomic regions that may have been affected by positive selection in ancestral modern humans, including genes involved in metabolism and in cognitive and skeletal development. We show that Neandertals shared more genetic variants with present-day humans in Eurasia than with present-day humans in sub-Saharan Africa, suggesting that gene flow from Neandertals into the ancestors of non-Africans occurred before the divergence of Eurasian groups from each other.

Implications for modern human origins. One model for modern human origins suggests that all present-day humans trace all their ancestry back to a small African population that expanded and replaced archaic forms of humans without admixture. Our analysis of the Neandertal genome may not be compatible with this view because Neandertals are on average closer to individuals in Eurasia than to individuals in Africa. Furthermore, individuals in Eurasia today carry regions in their genome that are closely related to those in Neandertals and distant from other present-day humans. The data suggest that between 1 and 4% of the genomes of people in Eurasia are derived from Neandertals. Thus, while the Neandertal genome presents a challenge to the simplest version of an "out-of-Africa" model for modern human origins, it continues to support the view that the vast majority of genetic variants that exist at appreciable frequencies outside Africa came from Africa with the spread of anatomically modern humans.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: Neanderthal genome sequenced, interbreeding found
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 05:18:49 AM »
[airheaded non-scientific response]Yay, I'm part Neanderthal! :2thumbsup:[/airheaded non-scientific response]
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 09:13:52 AM »
Does nobody else find it interesting that their great to the nth grandparent was a neanderthal?
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Osensitive1

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 09:29:47 AM »
There must be a mistake of some sort.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 10:35:10 AM »
Does nobody else find it interesting that their great to the nth grandparent was a neanderthal?

I found it very interesting, Peter.  Thanks for posting this.

I had already read a summary of the article you linked, but I was very glad to see the actual article in Science.

I thought it very likely that they had interbred with our ancestors rather than being completely exterminated by them, even before this discovery.  I also wondered if their bigger heads may have made it more difficult for their mothers to give birth to them and may have led to their eventual decline.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 11:07:47 AM »

I had already read a summary of the article you linked, but I was very glad to see the actual article in Science.

I thought it very likely that they had interbred with our ancestors rather than being completely exterminated by them, even before this discovery.  I also wondered if their bigger heads may have made it more difficult for their mothers to give birth to them and may have led to their eventual decline.

They also had wider pelvises, and I've read that it would have compensated for the large heads and made their childbirth difficulties comparable to Homo sapiens, but the wider pelvises made them less efficient at running, plus they had shorter legs and the anatomy of their shoulders made it difficult for them to throw projectile weapons, so they would have been at a disadvantage when hunting in open terrain.

Scrapheap

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 11:59:46 AM »

They also had wider pelvises, and I've read that it would have compensated for the large heads and made their childbirth difficulties comparable to Homo sapiens, but the wider pelvises made them less efficient at running, plus they had shorter legs and the anatomy of their shoulders made it difficult for them to throw projectile weapons, so they would have been at a disadvantage when hunting in open terrain.

They also had (American) Football shaped heads with a more sloped forehead, so getting the head through the birth cannal would've been easier in the first place.

The one clue that I had, that there was interbreeding between Sapiens and Neanderthals, is the hanfull of Basques that I know!!! :rofl:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 03:23:30 PM »

Both my parents and all three of us kids in the family have big heads! :2thumbsup:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"