Author Topic: Driving cross country  (Read 804 times)

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Driving cross country
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2010, 08:42:09 PM »
Connecticut, I believe.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2010, 08:23:21 AM »
I know how much the gas would be.  There are many reasons for doing what I am doing one of which driving cross country was something I have always wanted to do and this time it had come with the blessing of my wife not an easy thing to get for something like this. Another is I do not travel well without my things if I flew taking enough to be comfortable for me would limit the trip to only a couple days. I was not planing on staying in Vegas long at all it was more about the trip than being there I was only staying the day of the wedding and sight seeing the rest of the time.  My alternative plan was to fly out rent a car go to the wedding and go see the Grand Canyon or drive to California for the rest of the time out there.  I don't really see the attraction in Vegas after the initial seeing of the sights as I only gamble by playing the occasional lottery ticket. Other plans are just going for two days to go to the wedding then in the fall or spring getting my long distance fix driving to my mom's in Florida 
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2010, 08:53:13 PM »
Haven't done a good road trip in years. :zombiefuck:

Just give yourself plenty of time, use caution if selecting "local" eateries, some locals have cast iron stomachs from years of eating bad food.

Have a couple of credit cards or a backup plan in case of unforseen problems...normally if you break down your at least 300 miles from home and in a godforsaken area that doesn't take your prefered brand of credit card or have good cell phone coverage.  :laugh:

The best drives are normally the ones without a planned destination.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2010, 09:03:54 PM »
AAA has a plan for about $70 for a year's coverage where you can get either 100 or 200 miles of free towing if needed.  :thumbup:   And they'll find someone rather than you having to find a local someone who's reputable.  It may also include free hotel if needed, but my memory is shaky on that.  I think you need to buy it about a week or 2 in advance, but it's worth looking into.  You could be naughty  :evillaugh: and cancel it after the trip.   
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 10:51:54 PM »
Have AAA. It looks like it is a go, Anyone along the route it welcome for a meet up a brief one lunch of breakfast type thing. Probably going to continue to California also at least of a day or two

George Bernard Shaw

Scrapheap

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2010, 12:04:04 PM »
Have AAA. It looks like it is a go, Anyone along the route it welcome for a meet up a brief one lunch of breakfast type thing. Probably going to continue to California also at least of a day or two

It depands on which part of California you're going to go to.

I'll give you a word of warning driving from Nevada to Cali. I-15 southbound on a sunday is a 200 mile long traffic jam. Try to drive into California on a weekday or saturday.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2010, 02:33:25 PM »
All I want to see is the ocean

George Bernard Shaw

Scrapheap

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2010, 04:44:03 PM »
All I want to see is the ocean

In which case, the quickest way to get to the beach would be I-15 to the 91 west and 55 south. That will dump you off in Newport Beach. You can then drive up Highway 1 (Pacific Cast Highway) up through Huntington Beach, Long Beach, and up to Venice Beach and beyond.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2010, 04:52:34 PM »
When we drove from Las Vegas to the beach, we drove down I 15 to Oceanside, which is about 40 miles north of San Diego.

Scrapheap

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2010, 05:07:40 PM »
When we drove from Las Vegas to the beach, we drove down I 15 to Oceanside, which is about 40 miles north of San Diego.

You can get to the water sooner by heading off to Orange County. I-15 has to snake aroung the backside of Camp Pendleton.

Besides, Oceanside is full of fucking Jarheads! :rofl:

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2010, 05:56:45 PM »

You can get to the water sooner by heading off to Orange County. I-15 has to snake aroung the backside of Camp Pendleton.

We saw the sun set over the ocean and there were beautiful round black rocks on the beach there.

Scrapheap

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2010, 06:11:19 PM »

We saw the sun set over the ocean and there were beautiful round black rocks on the beach there.

Yeah, there's some nice beaches in the Oceanside area. I used to hang out there when I was going to Infantry school in Camp Pendleton.  8)