Author Topic: Why Casual Gaming needs to DIE already...  (Read 1036 times)

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
Re: Why Casual Gaming needs to DIE already...
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 05:42:54 AM »
It's not about casual games or hardcore games, its about shit games vs good games.

• Newtype of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 07:14:31 AM »
Fuckin' casuals.

I like my games to punch me in the gut and knee me in the balls, damnit - Dwarf Fortress, ArmA, Flashpoint and so on. Fuck this regenerating health bollocks that that cancer Halo made popular.

The Left 4 Dead games definitely do that on harder difficulties, especially when the AI director is having a bad day. I swear it's sentient and it hates you.

Yeah, on Expert it's damn nigh impossible. That's the way I like it ; :evillaugh:

Offline Mr Smith

• lardass
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2010, 11:54:43 AM »
It's not about casual games or hardcore games, its about shit games vs good games.

Same thing really, for many.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2010, 02:27:25 PM »

Gamers that hate casual or party games are just gamers who have no friends. How is that the games fault?

Offline Mr Smith

• lardass
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2010, 03:13:26 PM »

Gamers that hate casual or party games are just gamers who have no friends. How is that the games fault?

What makes you come to that conclusion? I've played several party games with friends and theres no way in hell I would buy them.

DukeNukem

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2010, 04:03:37 PM »

The game sucks 9 times out of 10, genius.

Has there ever been a "good" game that has been tagged as "Casual"? No. There isn't. It's just a marketing ploy for boring, uncreative drivel marketed for adults who could care less about video games in the first place.

Party games are not any better. Most are shovelware made for MOAR money on the Wii.

A lot of the companies that makes this crap never makes good games and never will. They are just in it for the money!

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2010, 04:47:11 PM »

The game sucks 9 times out of 10, genius.

Has there ever been a "good" game that has been tagged as "Casual"? No. There isn't. It's just a marketing ploy for boring, uncreative drivel marketed for adults who could care less about video games in the first place.

Party games are not any better. Most are shovelware made for MOAR money on the Wii.

A lot of the companies that makes this crap never makes good games and never will. They are just in it for the money!

Harvest Moon was pretty good, as is Audiosurf and Beat Hazard.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2010, 07:18:14 PM »
Don't be a twat, the reason 9 times out of 10 that the games suck is because the Wii is the dominate console and the 3rd parties flock to them like flies on shit to offload their shovelware. Same thing happened to the PS1&2.

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2010, 08:32:58 PM »
Don't be a twat, the reason 9 times out of 10 that the games suck is because the Wii is the dominate console and the 3rd parties flock to them like flies on shit to offload their shovelware. Same thing happened to the PS1&2.

This is true, shovelware and gimmicks are cancer.

Mind you, I get pissed at people who buy drek like Modern Warfare 2 - the first MW was good, this I cannot deny, especially the scene with the nuke - however, the second was complete and utter shite. For that matter, I consider Halo one of the worst things to happen to gaming in the past couple of generations - regenerating health can choke on a million dicks. True, there are situations where it an make sense, but they are far and few between.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R, ArmA, Operation Flashpoint, Supreme Commander, Morrowind, Trackmania, Uplink, DEFCON, Wipeout HD Fury, Gran Turismo, and to a lesser extent Zone of the Enders 2: The Second Runner are what I like in games; if you fuck up, you're fucked, and it's very possible to get into a situation you can't win - your only option is to shrug, grin and vow to kick their arses next time. Also Bad Company 2 on Hardcore mode.

Offline Gluey

• Raging Red Head of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Park.
    • Tales From The Tard Hut Well at least some videos
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2010, 12:06:26 AM »
Party games are fucking stupid. The only good ones would be rock band or guitar hero. But I really find the Wii lame.
I prefer my PS3 and I was glad I got a PS3 at the time instead. I got PS3 cause I was angry at Wii shortages back in '08
and a I was so angry cause I couldn't get a Wii. Now I wounder why people flock to it. It is a gimmick and it is flash theirs not much
re-playability. Wii sports resort amused me for a while and so did Punch out and Resident evil but it got boring.

I have a modded wii so if I want some stupid party game for some stupid reason i'll get it.
Park.

Offline Mr Smith

• lardass
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2010, 12:15:34 AM »
Party games are fucking stupid. The only good ones would be rock band or guitar hero. But I really find the Wii lame.
I prefer my PS3 and I was glad I got a PS3 at the time instead. I got PS3 cause I was angry at Wii shortages back in '08
and a I was so angry cause I couldn't get a Wii. Now I wounder why people flock to it. It is a gimmick and it is flash theirs not much
re-playability. Wii sports resort amused me for a while and so did Punch out and Resident evil but it got boring.

I have a modded wii so if I want some stupid party game for some stupid reason i'll get it.

The wii is rubbish, and it's going to be around for ages sadly because of how much money it's making. I wish nintendo would release a proper console.  In the mean time I will finish all my other games and look into investing in another console.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2010, 01:45:59 AM »

We got the Wii first mainly because I'm, a bit of a Nintendo fanboy (love me some Zelda and Mario games and now Metroid). Kart is good for a party game if you have a big enough tv like the 50" HD Plasma we have. But what gets to me is the fact that the Wii doesn't do HDMI or digital audio. Plus they need a standard wireless controller like the PS3.

What I like about the PS3 is that you don't need some Sony hard drive to upgrade it, just any old laptop hard drive. It uses standard HDMI/Optical/USB cables. Also its a fucking great Bluray and DVD player.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2010, 03:00:40 AM »
If you don't like casual games, then don't buy them. The Wii and DS are infested with them though, but I hold onto them because there are good games for them.

Supreme Commander

The AI was really shite on that, although I'm tempted to get the 2nd version. Total Annihilation was a far better game IMO, and that came out in 1997. :laugh:

EDIT: Believe it or not, there are good "casual" games. Little Big Planet and Animal Crossing come to mind.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 03:06:01 AM by Mr Shledge »

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2010, 06:53:30 AM »
If you don't like casual games, then don't buy them. The Wii and DS are infested with them though, but I hold onto them because there are good games for them.

Supreme Commander

The AI was really shite on that, although I'm tempted to get the 2nd version. Total Annihilation was a far better game IMO, and that came out in 1997. :laugh:

EDIT: Believe it or not, there are good "casual" games. Little Big Planet and Animal Crossing come to mind.

There was a bizarre bug with the AI if there was a Seraphim player; it'd lose it's ability to pathfind for all players.

Total Annihilation doesn't get half the love it deserves, and the fact that a 13 year old game is still as good if not better than a lot of new RTS releases is...disappointing.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2010, 06:32:34 PM »
Fuckin' casuals.

I like my games to punch me in the gut and knee me in the balls, damnit - Dwarf Fortress, ArmA, Flashpoint and so on. Fuck this regenerating health bollocks that that cancer Halo made popular.
Instead of spacing health stations or med kits about?   How about having a retry feature.
:P   Internets are super serious.