Author Topic: Television outside the US  (Read 249 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Television outside the US
« on: May 11, 2010, 06:24:39 PM »
He is a question for those of you outside the US. When do you get the US shows I mean how long after or before they are broadcast here. Also how many do you get. Here in the US foreign shows are not that common and are almost well behind where they are in the original counties.  And what do you get?
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
Re: Television outside the US
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 10:26:46 PM »
Used to be anywhere from 6 months to 2 years, but some shows now are only a few weeks behind due to downloading.

http://www.ebroadcast.com.au/TV/static/MelbourneNight.html

That's an example if you can be bothered looking though it. I myself hardly watch anything over the air any more, I just download and watch when I feel like it. I'll even download aussie shows that are on tv here because I don't have any way of recording them at the moment. I'm not setting up my VCR.

TheoK

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 06:57:58 AM »
He is a question for those of you outside the US. When do you get the US shows I mean how long after or before they are broadcast here. Also how many do you get. Here in the US foreign shows are not that common and are almost well behind where they are in the original counties.  And what do you get?

Today we usually get them almost as fast as you get them in the US. I'd think that at least 80% of all TV shows here are American. They also often copycat a US concept, like Jeopardy or Big Brother or Extreme Home Makeover.

I very seldom watch TV today, but when I was younger "everyone" watched Dallas, The Dynasty, Bonanza, Kojak, Baretta, Streets of San Fransisco, Falcon Crest etc.

Non-American TV shows are usually British, a few are Aussie. There have been some Italian, Spanish, French or German TV shows but pretty rare and not on the state TV. I can't even remember what their names were.

It's more common with non-Anglo single movies. Russian ones are often suprisingly good, for example. It's everything but that Hollywood shit.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 04:47:05 PM »
Some US shows are as little as a few weeks behind, others up to several years, depending on the network here.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 06:07:19 PM »
Yup, only a little behind, and old years broadcasted on other channels. There's at least three years of House to be seen every week here.

Hey Lit, Big Brother was European.  :P (I don't dare to admit it was Dutch,... Oops, I just did)

At the moment, it's US, Dutch,  Brittish, German, and then the occasiional Australian, Canadian, French or Scandinavian stuff I think. And then the occasional single things from all kinds of places in the world.

I keep forgetting to watch TV though, so, it's a guess. And an overall one too. On the three non-commercial channels the percentage of US stuff is a lot lower.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Gluey

• Raging Red Head of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Park.
    • Tales From The Tard Hut Well at least some videos
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 12:09:21 AM »
In the mornings I get woken up to this channel from New York and it's just a bunch of commercials like for the Rochester business institute,
Why is that on TV? I don't know but my parents sure won't turn the TV down.
Park.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 06:41:52 AM »
In the mornings I get woken up to this channel from New York and it's just a bunch of commercials like for the Rochester business institute,
Why is that on TV? I don't know but my parents sure won't turn the TV down.

Informercials, the scourge of the airwaves! :thumbdn:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"