Author Topic: Hi!  (Read 7099 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Hi!
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2010, 12:28:16 AM »
This might be a random time to point out something very important, but iphone photos tend to attach EXIF metadata containing GPS coordinates of where the photo was taken.

So yeah, not a good idea to post photos if taken by certain phone cameras. Just thought I'd randomly point that out. ;)

PROTIP: Best to never publicly post images of yourself ever, unless you erase the EXIF metadata first.
Hey, is that just the iphone, or all phones and/or PDAs?

First generation iphones are not affected, but here's some more information on geolocation tags in EXIF metadata:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exchangeable_image_file_format#Geolocation

Can't you simply turn that feature off? It's turned off by default on my Nokia.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2010, 12:42:19 AM »
This might be a random time to point out something very important, but iphone photos tend to attach EXIF metadata containing GPS coordinates of where the photo was taken.

So yeah, not a good idea to post photos if taken by certain phone cameras. Just thought I'd randomly point that out. ;)

PROTIP: Best to never publicly post images of yourself ever, unless you erase the EXIF metadata first.
Hey, is that just the iphone, or all phones and/or PDAs?

First generation iphones are not affected, but here's some more information on geolocation tags in EXIF metadata:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exchangeable_image_file_format#Geolocation

Can't you simply turn that feature off? It's turned off by default on my Nokia.

Not sure. I only learned about this due to trolls dox dropping people who have iphones with this feature.
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2010, 01:35:48 AM »
To be honest, cameras on phones are pretty much gimmicks. They're fun for a while, but they can't beat the quality of a good compact/DSLR.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #108 on: April 22, 2010, 02:35:53 AM »
To be honest, cameras on phones are pretty much gimmicks. They're fun for a while, but they can't beat the quality of a good compact/DSLR.

Few people carry a stand-alone camera with them at all times, so phone cameras are useful for making records of unexpected events, especially when there are legal or civil liabilities associated with the event.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #109 on: April 22, 2010, 03:45:32 AM »
I'm Scottish but I've been living in N.Ireland for a good few months now.

Which part of Scotland are you from, and how does Northern Ireland compare?
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #110 on: April 22, 2010, 04:30:30 AM »

The first mobile camera I found somewhat useful was that on my Nokia N95. Not good, by any means, but adequate when all I needed to do was to document something.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #111 on: April 22, 2010, 05:48:54 AM »
Which part of Scotland are you from, and how does Northern Ireland compare?

I grew up in a town called Grangemouth, but moved to Wishaw to stay with my aunt and uncle as soon as I left school. Wishaw is one of the shittiest places in Scotland so I was happy enough to leave it. I find N. Ireland a strange place. The sectarianism upsets me a lot and I hate the idea that people might dislike me because I'm not "one of them." The troubles are supposed to be over but there's still so much hatred in the country. I'm in an awkward position because I'm neither Unionist or Republican so I doubt if I'd really fit in with anyone.
For all that though, the worst thing in this country is definately the Indian food :LOL: In Scotland you can go into almost any Indian takeaway and get a meal that's hot enough to blow your head off. Over here though every Indian meal tastes the same. They use the same super mild sweet sauce on every meal. I've tried just about every Indian in town and they're all the same. You can't even get proper nann bread in the restaurants. It's just the crappy stuff you buy in supermarkets rather than the proper hand made stuff.

Offline Herman's Hermits

• News Box Feature
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #112 on: April 22, 2010, 06:27:11 AM »
Who carries a camera around with themselves all the time?

I've read that those IPhones are expensive junk.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #113 on: April 22, 2010, 06:54:15 AM »
I grew up down in Ayrshire, in Stewarton and later in Dunlop, and now I live in Clarkston, about 20km west of Wishaw.  My mum's partner grew up in Wishaw, but he tries to conceal that fact, and likes to pretend that he's from one of the less shitty areas around here.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #114 on: April 22, 2010, 08:14:40 AM »

Few people carry a stand-alone camera with them at all times, so phone cameras are useful for making records of unexpected events, especially when there are legal or civil liabilities associated with the event.

Once it's in a public place, you're allowed to take photos of anything you want. This includes people, but many are ignorant to the fact. They can't do anything about it even if they object, but they can if I kept on following them. Taking photos of kids is still technically legal, but frowned upon because of the whole paedophile stuff going on. I'd never take photos of kids though unless it's a particular occasion, to be safe.

I usually take my DSLR along with a couple of lenses around with me most of the time. If it's a particularly dodgy area, I bring my tripod to ward off any scumbags that eye it up. My compact sometimes goes with me instead if I want to be less conspicuous.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #115 on: April 22, 2010, 02:23:39 PM »

I do.

Can't afford one?

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #116 on: April 22, 2010, 04:36:42 PM »
My mum's partner grew up in Wishaw, but he tries to conceal that fact, and likes to pretend that he's from one of the less shitty areas around here.

They don't call it Pishy Wishae for nothing :thumbup:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #117 on: April 22, 2010, 05:58:21 PM »

I do.

Can't afford one?

Don't want one too much temptation
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #118 on: April 23, 2010, 06:05:50 PM »

I do.

Can't afford one?

Don't want one too much temptation

There are lots of reasons to why some would want one while others wouldn't. Herman here is a flamebait so he doesn't care either way.

- Albert Einstein

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #119 on: April 24, 2010, 06:23:33 AM »
I personally wouldn't buy one because I find they're overrated and well... crap.

I had an XDA orbit a while back, practically the same thing but with:
- More features (GPS, etc.)
- Better battery life

On top of that, it was CHEAPER and guess what? I came out a few years before the 1st iPhone! Revolutionary my arse. :laugh: