Educational

Author Topic: DUI check points  (Read 2003 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: DUI check points
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2016, 05:47:52 AM »
I miss giving Pappy attention too.  :zoinks:

Your attention blows around like the wind.  Furry harlot.  :hahaha: :trollface:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2016, 03:34:51 PM »
I approve of them, but not when they set them up 200 yards from your liquor establishment. Since this not only targets the patrons but also reflects back on the establishment.

Maybe I'm bias since SO has a bar. But let me tell you how hard "visibly intoxicated" can be.

You have patrons come in and you have no idea if they came from home or if they hit the other 2 bars in town before they got there. I've seen people "visibly intoxicated" after two drinks, I've seen career drinkers that appear right as rain after 10+, but that would probably still fail a breathalyzer. 

Fortunately for others "visibly intoxicated" usually gets you a ride home from his establishment, since he is dealing with all locals...a drunk driver killing himself or taking others with him is just not tragic it's extremely detrimental to your business when people come back and try to sue you, and in today's world they will. 

Even if that drunk got drunk before he came there...that was the last place he was. "You refused to serve him...but you let him drive home." 

You don't just run a bar, you run a babysitting service also.

:GA:

Surely it can't be the barman's responsibility?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2016, 06:06:59 AM »
  One of my work friends used to serve alcohol at a previous job, and had to take
  the TIPS class to learn when to shut patrons off.  Then when she did so, they
  complained and her boss blamed her.  Stupid drunks.  Even stupider boss.  :fp:
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 06:10:51 AM by couldbecousin »
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2016, 07:26:57 AM »
I approve of them, but not when they set them up 200 yards from your liquor establishment. Since this not only targets the patrons but also reflects back on the establishment.

Maybe I'm bias since SO has a bar. But let me tell you how hard "visibly intoxicated" can be.

You have patrons come in and you have no idea if they came from home or if they hit the other 2 bars in town before they got there. I've seen people "visibly intoxicated" after two drinks, I've seen career drinkers that appear right as rain after 10+, but that would probably still fail a breathalyzer. 

Fortunately for others "visibly intoxicated" usually gets you a ride home from his establishment, since he is dealing with all locals...a drunk driver killing himself or taking others with him is just not tragic it's extremely detrimental to your business when people come back and try to sue you, and in today's world they will. 

Even if that drunk got drunk before he came there...that was the last place he was. "You refused to serve him...but you let him drive home." 

One drunk driver, one un-knowledgeable, new, or "I don't care" bartender, one tragic accident...the family comes back and sues the owner...and you lose it all. I've seen it happen.

This is why most bars are now corporations. Because when/or if you get sued, they now sue the corporation...and you don't lose your entire business, your house, and your car.

...and finding good bartenders for when you can't be there ...that won't drink behind the bar so that you lose your license, or serve their shit faced friends after hours...or better yet, are looking for a convenient way to peddle their own wares and support their habit.

Let's just say 95% of all monkeys want to work in a banana factory.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2016, 08:01:44 AM »

One drunk driver, one un-knowledgeable, new, or "I don't care" bartender, one tragic accident...the family comes back and sues the owner...and you lose it all. I've seen it happen.

This is why most bars are now corporations. Because when/or if you get sued, they now sue the corporation...and you don't lose your entire business, your house, and your car.

...and finding good bartenders for when you can't be there ...that won't drink behind the bar so that you lose your license, or serve their shit faced friends after hours...or better yet, are looking for a convenient way to peddle their own wares and support their habit.

Let's just say 95% of all monkeys want to work in a banana factory.

You live in a bizarre country. :-\
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2016, 09:42:32 AM »

Definitely.

And some of the inhabitants are even more bizarre.  ;)

Offline MLA

• Elitest Aspie of the Aspie Elite
  • Modulator
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • The internet isn't a library, it's a stage.
« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2016, 11:49:38 AM »
Dram shop liability laws have been around since the end of prohibition.  You can purchase insurance to cover yourself, and should if a bar or liquor store owner.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2016, 11:53:09 AM »

Definitely.

Present company excluded? :zoinks:

- Albert Einstein

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2016, 01:08:15 PM »

Definitely.

Present company excluded? :zoinks:

Nope. I'm a "special" bizarre case. :zoinks: