Author Topic: What did you find today?  (Read 46122 times)

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: What did you find today?
« Reply #2670 on: July 01, 2017, 03:53:16 AM »
It must be the toddlers then. You're allergic to toddlers. :laugh:
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #2671 on: July 01, 2017, 05:31:36 AM »
It's clear now, I will not get any more calves.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2672 on: July 01, 2017, 06:55:22 AM »
It's clear now, I will not get any more calves.
:lol1:
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2673 on: July 01, 2017, 11:10:03 AM »
Two large bags of trash to be thrown away.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2674 on: July 01, 2017, 12:29:01 PM »
Nicely done QV!
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2675 on: July 01, 2017, 09:06:04 PM »
There is no garbage or trash pick up on 7/4, Tuesday although recyclables will be picked up.  Next trash pick will be July 11.  I should have a nice pile of crap to pull out that day if I do a bit of work for each of the 10 days.  However I need to star mowing the lawn too.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #2676 on: July 01, 2017, 11:34:06 PM »
I think I found a buyer for my Escalade.

Honestly, I only rarely use it and it has been sitting there (some payments still due, but lots of equity built up) for about a year.
I generally use the Traverse. It gets better mileage. the Traverse is white, well, OK, metallic pearl and shines in the sun.

We will see in the coming days.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #2677 on: July 03, 2017, 02:40:31 PM »

My big offensive Cadillac Escalade is gone. I made about twelve thousand dollars today on the deal. It was almost paid off so I had a great deal of equity in the thing, just sitting there.

I never drove it much, lately.

I am better off without it, but now we are a two car family again.  I kept the Chevy Traverse I originally bought for my son to drive.
I can not get him interested in learning to drive. I spent about a year with him having his own car to drive.

I still had a couple more years to pay on the Traverse, but half of this dividend from selling the Escalade will take care of that.
  :2thumbsup:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2678 on: July 06, 2017, 07:11:35 AM »
That's a sweet deal that definitely worked in your favour, DD!
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #2679 on: July 10, 2017, 01:38:57 PM »
Found that a stuck 3-neck flask connected to a still head was freeable at the point the still heads female joint was plugged into a pair of condensers, heavily wrapped in teflon tape to prevent attack by what was in the flask.

Managed to get the two apart, so quickly put them back together, gently (the contents, a fair quantity of iodine monochloride, around 40g are sensitive to air, and react with water, potentially violently, ICL gives off some extremely noxious fumes, that are highly corrosive to many organic materials, including many plastics. It is a solid at low temperatures, but at room temperature a quite volatile, reddish-brown liquid with a generically halogen-ish odor, but despite the fairly moderate freezing point seems to be able to supercool without freezing even after a month in the fridge)

Which is where I keep mine, in the fridge (not the one for food, the chemical fridge dedicated to the storage of volatiles, nasty things, and volatile nasty things (like iodine monochloride), in a chemically resistant bottle, the cap made of some very resistant plastic, teflon or some other fluoropolymer I guess. Filth left them behind after a raid based on a bogus warrant. Ostensibly to 'take samples' which they basically just opened and exposed stuff to air that shouldn't be, put a few ml of this that and the other in these bottles, left the bottles on the bench, arrested me on a trumped up excuse which never came to jack shit due to complete lack of evidence, due to the fact that I had nothing to do with what I was falsely accused of whatsoever, and fucked off.

Presumably they need to have such containers for raiding terrorist cells and the like that could potentially hold really, really nasty shit, or anything from coca cola to VX nerve agent, so I store my ICl in one of those bottles, I've got several of them, reserved for storage of the most aggressive, toxic, hazardous etc. chemicals in my repertoire of reagents, added a good thick layer of teflon tape tightly wrapped round the screw threads of one of those bottles and keep it in my chemical fridge, well marked with the appropriate warnings lest some moron ever think about opening it inside (I got a single whiff of ICl once (well mostly, some iodine trichloride was present but its a solid and much less volatile, along probably with some chlorine gas mixed in during the reaction to make the ICl and possibly a little iodine vapor from ICl or ICl3 vapor in the air hydrolyzing to the elements, got bitten by it due to a gas mask failure, quickly repaired it but in escaping the area to do so got a breath of the ICl and it left me needing an inhaler for the next 2-3 days. So what is probably around 2 ounces give or take a gram or two would definitely NOT be something I'd want some cretinous copper etc. fucking with and letting loose in the house. So, its labelled with  a big skull-and-crossbones on the cap and on the label, that it releases highly toxic fumes in air and reacts dangerously with water.)

So far though so good, its behaved itself, kept as it has been, kept cold, in its resistant bottle, purged with argon. But on opening that flask up, to my delight, ran off to get my blast shield over my face, safety gear on, gloves etc., took the plunger out of a big (250ml I think) glass syringe, removed the needle so it wouldn't either A-be melted/burnt through or B-degrade and contaminate the iodine monochloride with residues of the metal from the needle or its plastic attachment. (its not for giving injections, rather its all made out of glass, with no rubber or plastic parts so as to be ideal for transfer of extremely corrosive compounds, and doling out measured quantities of such things, as well as solvents that attack plastic/rubber)

Stuck the end of the big syringe (the barrel is nearly 3 inch wide) into the narrow bottle neck and quickly inverted the whole thing, on its side, angled so the remaining ICl would come flowing out of the distillation adapter, since I've not yet freed the stoppers. Realized there is quite a lot more iodine remaining in one of the two condensers connected to the chlorine generator, so will teflon- tape the the adapter up, make sure there is no grease on the joints (usually grease is a good idea for ground glass joints. Not with iodine monochloride. It'll turn most greases into something resembling cement, and most plastics exposed to even dilute ICl vapor disintegrate in no time-I used, or tried to use, the first crack at making it, plastic keck clips to secure the glassware. I don't have many plastic keck clips at all now. Only ones I have are the ones that never went anywhere near the ICl synthesis, the rest crumbled into little pieces or turned to dust, or else split right through)

On weighing it though, the ICl I collected today from the freed flask, I found I had at least doubled my yield, just from adding the remaining ICl in my flask. And all I need do is re-start the chlorine gas generator, after packing the drying tube section with fresh anhydrous calcium chloride and run chlorine gas over the remaining iodine in there and convert it to ICl, wouldn't surprise me if there is enough in there to triple or quadruple my yield at least :)
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #2680 on: July 19, 2017, 09:55:49 PM »
A wooden spindle magazine rack.

A wooden bread box stuffed with: random vacation photos, an older TomTom gps w/adapter, oil diffuser, punched tin tea light holder, and a few other random things.

...and the killer.
A Bernini garden fountain packaged up with the charger, instructions, accessories, battery, pump, led light...etc. Sitting there like a Christmas present at the curb. I'm sure it needs something..but  :zombiefuck:

Will check it out tomorrow, but I think it's this one.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2681 on: July 20, 2017, 11:06:21 AM »
^ Holy crap that's a score!!!  :o So much more exciting than what I found today. Two dead baby moles in the pool skimmer  :P
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2682 on: July 20, 2017, 05:03:05 PM »
Awesome IQ.  You'd make a hell of a scrounger in the military.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2683 on: July 20, 2017, 05:09:17 PM »
That the guy who owned this house before me was a complete mess in the handyman department. I swear every day is more evidence of that.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2684 on: July 21, 2017, 12:44:33 AM »
^ Holy crap that's a score!!!  :o So much more exciting than what I found today. Two dead baby moles in the pool skimmer  :P
:sick:
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae