Author Topic: What are you going to do today?  (Read 38413 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: What are you going to do today?
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2010, 04:59:50 AM »
I am going to work, shop, work some more, and return home around 10 p.m. to post! :viking:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2010, 05:47:32 AM »
Put the kiddo on the bus and head down to the local church sale.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2010, 05:50:35 AM »
Put the girl on the bus then go look at a crawl space near the beach nobody else seems to know what to do with
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2010, 09:34:05 PM »
Supposed to go out tonight, but went out last night, with my ex. All the more reason to go out tonight, to be out in the real world, and forget. Just don't feel like it, but I'll most likely regret it tomorrow if I don't go.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »
Supposed to go out tonight, but went out last night, with my ex. All the more reason to go out tonight, to be out in the real world, and forget. Just don't feel like it, but I'll most likely regret it tomorrow if I don't go.

The most recent ex?

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2010, 10:05:04 PM »
Today I will attempt to remain calm even though the school holidays are all-but over, and I haven't even started most of the uniform-repair and other jobs that I was supposed to do before they go back.  :yikes:

Are there more benefits to the uniform than kids not pondering on what to wear way too long in the morning?

While I'm not SleepyDragon I HATE SCHOOL UNIFORMS!  Yes, I shouted.  They're unbelievably expensive (can only be bought from 1 or 2 shops.)  I can dress a person (outer clothes) for $50 a year.  That's the price of one uniform skirt.  Add the uniform shirt and sweater it's over $200 before you know it.  After a few years they're ragged, stained, faded and defeat the "Uniforms mean you can't tell the rich kids from the poor kids" lie.  And this is for a public school.  Thank heavens only 31 more days of the bitch uniforms and they're history.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2010, 10:17:52 PM »

The most recent ex?

Yes.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2010, 10:55:51 PM »
Today I will attempt to remain calm even though the school holidays are all-but over, and I haven't even started most of the uniform-repair and other jobs that I was supposed to do before they go back.  :yikes:

Are there more benefits to the uniform than kids not pondering on what to wear way too long in the morning?

While I'm not SleepyDragon I HATE SCHOOL UNIFORMS!  Yes, I shouted.  They're unbelievably expensive (can only be bought from 1 or 2 shops.)  I can dress a person (outer clothes) for $50 a year.  That's the price of one uniform skirt.  Add the uniform shirt and sweater it's over $200 before you know it.  After a few years they're ragged, stained, faded and defeat the "Uniforms mean you can't tell the rich kids from the poor kids" lie.  And this is for a public school.  Thank heavens only 31 more days of the bitch uniforms and they're history.

I have never had to wear them, but could they be bought in secondhand stores?

I saw several uniforms for a local Catholic school today in a resale shop for children's clothes.

Offline SleepyDragon

• Little Green Lizard of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2010, 03:46:47 AM »

I missed seeing Hyke's question earlier, Weakling, so I'm glad you spoke up. The state government gives a $50 per-student per-year allowance to parents which is meant to go toward school expenses (that's enough to buy one-half to two-thirds of a pair of shoes, but let it go). After that, you're on your own. We're lucky in that we've got a choice of three places to buy from, and one of them doesn't gouge as much as the others.

@Callaway: If the piece of clothing isn't embroidered with the school logo or made from a special tartan or something, you can substitute a less-expensive garment from a discount variety store. Schools often run a used-clothing pool, too.

To answer your question, Hyke, uniform is meant to maintain school pride and to promote equality. I agree with Weakling that it fails both in regard to conformity and in leveling of perceived socioeconomic status. This is from an earlier discussion:

I hate the idea of enforcing conformity on kids and teaching them to obey pointless rules of petty tyrants. School uniform rules accomplish nothing other that to brainwash kids into mindless obedience.

Mindless obedience, are you fuckin' kidding me? One of the first things kids do with uniform is to work out exactly how far they can bend the rules, without getting into trouble for it. You can always pick the rugged individualists and the iconoclasts; it's all in the small details.

Most schools, except for maybe the denominational schools like the Catholics or the Church of England, are fairly mellow about the whole thing. The exception is if the uniform supervisor is having a shit day and decides to make an example of some random kid for not having their socks pulled up high enough or some stupid thing like that. But that's all part of the "fun" of going to school — most times the attention you cop from teachers is well-deserved, and other times it isn't.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2010, 05:38:55 AM »
I'm going to work for 12 hours and hopefully keep some perspective and not :headexplode: at a certain arrogant jackass...

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2010, 04:30:57 PM »

I missed seeing Hyke's question earlier, Weakling, so I'm glad you spoke up. The state government gives a $50 per-student per-year allowance to parents which is meant to go toward school expenses (that's enough to buy one-half to two-thirds of a pair of shoes, but let it go). After that, you're on your own. We're lucky in that we've got a choice of three places to buy from, and one of them doesn't gouge as much as the others.

@Callaway: If the piece of clothing isn't embroidered with the school logo or made from a special tartan or something, you can substitute a less-expensive garment from a discount variety store. Schools often run a used-clothing pool, too.

To answer your question, Hyke, uniform is meant to maintain school pride and to promote equality. I agree with Weakling that it fails both in regard to conformity and in leveling of perceived socioeconomic status. This is from an earlier discussion:

I hate the idea of enforcing conformity on kids and teaching them to obey pointless rules of petty tyrants. School uniform rules accomplish nothing other that to brainwash kids into mindless obedience.

Mindless obedience, are you fuckin' kidding me? One of the first things kids do with uniform is to work out exactly how far they can bend the rules, without getting into trouble for it. You can always pick the rugged individualists and the iconoclasts; it's all in the small details.

Most schools, except for maybe the denominational schools like the Catholics or the Church of England, are fairly mellow about the whole thing. The exception is if the uniform supervisor is having a shit day and decides to make an example of some random kid for not having their socks pulled up high enough or some stupid thing like that. But that's all part of the "fun" of going to school — most times the attention you cop from teachers is well-deserved, and other times it isn't.

The uniforms I saw were a particular tartan for the skirts and jumpers and the shirts were the same burgundy and navy blue of the tartan and had the school logo embroidered on them, but they were for sale at a children's clothing resale shop.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2010, 04:35:14 PM »
well there' only 25 minutes left of today so I don't have much planned  :viking:

i'm gonna read and go to bed

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2010, 04:45:21 PM »
Do some laundry.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2010, 05:54:02 PM »

I wore my job uniform for the first time today. I don't mind at all that I have been working in clothes of my own for over a year. There now is the benefit of not having to think on looking respectable. Apparently higher management thinks this looks good. (OK, the coats do look OK, but it was too warm for that). And the clothes are paid by the company I work for.
I'm very glad that I never had to wear school uniforms. They don't have them here. School does have a load of T-shirts with logo printed on it, if there is a sport-sevent or so, with pupils participating in that. But more 'uniform' than hat, it will not be.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2010, 08:26:41 PM »
Work is over, so now I'm just going to relax! :snowman: