Educational

Author Topic: Small Smiles Dental Clinic  (Read 257 times)

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Small Smiles Dental Clinic
« on: March 16, 2010, 08:52:59 AM »
It's a long clip, but pretty scary that a dental hospital could give 16 root canals to a child in one sitting;

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Small Smiles Dental Clinic
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 09:22:50 AM »
That is very scary, especially since some of the work was apparently unnecessary and some of the work billed to Medicaid wasn't even done, in at least one case where the mother took her children to a pediatric dentist for a second opinion. 

It's also very concerning that parents were banned from coming into the back with their children, so they could not see and hear their children's distress.  I have seen the papoose boards before since my daughter has needed one sometimes to keep her from moving during some work that had to be done, but they also almost always try to see if they can work on her without it first and lately, they have been able to with no real problems.  There was just one time they asked me not to go back with her just in case she was acting out in response to me going back with her. After that, I told them I was coming back with her and that was that.

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 09:45:56 AM »
That is very scary, especially since some of the work was apparently unnecessary and some of the work billed to Medicaid wasn't even done, in at least one case where the mother took her children to a pediatric dentist for a second opinion. 

It's also very concerning that parents were banned from coming into the back with their children, so they could not see and hear their children's distress.  I have seen the papoose boards before since my daughter has needed one sometimes to keep her from moving during some work that had to be done, but they also almost always try to see if they can work on her without it first and lately, they have been able to with no real problems.  There was just one time they asked me not to go back with her just in case she was acting out in response to me going back with her. After that, I told them I was coming back with her and that was that.

I know...and how distressing too would it be to see your childs mouth so horribly fucked up by all those metal crowns?

Yes, I have always stuck by being with my children no matter what. If anyone is capable of calming them down, it's me.

I'm glad your daughter is becoming familiar with it and doesn't need to be restrained, that must have been distressing for both of you.

Just seeing those kids restrained and screaming brought back memories for me....I think I would have died of fright if I had to be put through what they were...and that's no exaggeration.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 12:23:50 PM »
The dentist terrifies me and my experiences I thought were bad but pale in comparison.   Kids that age don't need crowns like that all those teeth are falling out in a few years anyway when the adult ones come in.  Them saying it's not about the money or production but having meetings about it and production bonuses say otherwise 
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 03:56:36 PM »
Someone needs to strap down those assholes and give them a few root canals, minus the novacaine.  :evillaugh:

Those poor kids are probably going to be scared of dentists now for the rest of their lives, and with good reason. :zombiefuck:

I can't believe none of the mothers questioned why they weren't allowed in back with their kids??? Someone would say that to me and that would make me all the more insistant that I WOULD be allowed in the room with my kid or they damn well wouldn't be treating him.

I guess that's the my non-trusting nature though.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 04:48:18 PM by Icequeen »

TheoK

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 04:23:26 PM »
There was some fucking dentist here in Sweden some 10-15 years ago, who had given many patients root canals and crowns that they didn't need. One of them got 9 unneccessary root canals. In this case, however, the dentist was punished in some way, if I remember it correctly. Otherwise MDs and dentists are more or less above the law in their professions here.  :thumbdn:

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 07:06:16 PM »

From what you've said on here Callaway, you seem like a great mom. Good for you.  :2thumbsup: I wish my parents understood me that well.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 07:25:24 PM »
Someone needs to strap down those assholes and give them a few root canals, minus the novacaine.  :evillaugh:

Those poor kids are probably going to be scared of dentists now for the rest of their lives, and with good reason. :zombiefuck:

I can't believe none of the mothers questioned why they weren't allowed in back with their kids??? Someone would say that to me and that would make me all the more insistant that I WOULD be allowed in the room with my kid or they damn well wouldn't be treating him.

I guess that's the my non-trusting nature though.

A little paranoia can be a good thing, unfortunately.  :(
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 09:14:42 PM »

From what you've said on here Callaway, you seem like a great mom. Good for you.  :2thumbsup: I wish my parents understood me that well.

Thanks.

:emb: