Educational

Author Topic: you know that you are getting old when....  (Read 20720 times)

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: you know that you are getting old when....
« Reply #615 on: October 16, 2022, 11:43:07 AM »
Realizing the 1990s was 30 years ago.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #616 on: October 16, 2022, 08:05:18 PM »
Realizing the 1990s was 30 years ago.
I sure feel old now. There was some great music in the 90s.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #617 on: October 22, 2022, 03:52:43 PM »
But a lot of shitty music, too.

I remember a mid-90s interview with George Harrison. He was asked what he thought about 90s British pop music. He said that he quite liked Spice Girls.

The interviewer was taken aback, of course. Spice Girls, George?

Yeah, George said. They're on the telly and once you turn down the volume they're great to look at.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #618 on: October 23, 2022, 10:36:07 AM »
I agree with George Harrison!

Spice Girls were quite entertaining on mute.
Adding to the list, Paula Abdul!

... but I have to admit to un-muting some of her work.
 :tard:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #619 on: October 25, 2022, 02:56:31 PM »
I miss him. :(
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #620 on: November 18, 2022, 10:16:17 AM »
I hear oldie music being played in stores and it's from when I was in middle school.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #621 on: November 27, 2022, 03:41:36 PM »
Well, if you think it's "oldie" then you really are old. :zoinks:

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #622 on: December 02, 2022, 08:55:41 PM »
When you watch a few commercials for new medications and they present this monstrously long list of side effects ...

... and as unrelated as most of them seem, you think, "Wait, I already have all those as symptoms! Why in Hell do I need to take another pill for all that?"

:dunno:

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #623 on: December 03, 2022, 03:13:44 PM »
You get new symptoms to get rid of the old ones. :orly:

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #624 on: December 03, 2022, 11:43:50 PM »
Nope, just, nope.

I'll sage my home and self or something first.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #625 on: December 04, 2022, 02:05:46 AM »
When you watch a few commercials for new medications and they present this monstrously long list of side effects ...

... and as unrelated as most of them seem, you think, "Wait, I already have all those as symptoms! Why in Hell do I need to take another pill for all that?"

I remember being really surprised that the USA advertises medication. Sure, here in Australia I've seen ads for Panadol (paracetamol) and Gaviscon (for reflux) but ads for antipsychotics and antidepressants? I'm wondering what kind of effect that has on the public and the sales of those medications.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #626 on: December 04, 2022, 02:26:07 AM »

I remember being really surprised that the USA advertises medication. Sure, here in Australia I've seen ads for Panadol (paracetamol) and Gaviscon (for reflux) but ads for antipsychotics and antidepressants? I'm wondering what kind of effect that has on the public and the sales of those medications.

Worse is when you see three different ads for the same compound, offering help for arthritis in one, psoriasis in another and diabetes in a third, for instance. OK, maybe, but ...

Nope!

We also have huge high dollar, flashy ads for lawyer type ambulance chasers as well.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 02:29:41 AM by DirtDawg »

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #627 on: December 04, 2022, 02:42:21 AM »

I never thought much about it because it's normal here. The ads likely boost sales, I'd guess they might not bother otherwise. Still, it's not as if people can go to the store and get it on their own, and mentioning a med to a physician doesn't mean it will be prescribed. Though if someone has untreated health issues and an advertisement inspires them to talk to their doctor about it, that's probably not a bad thing.  :dunno:
:gopher:

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #628 on: December 04, 2022, 03:06:31 AM »
The first antipsychotic advertising I saw was for Abilify (aripiprazole) and I was amazed. It actually made me want to take it (and I still want to but that's another story) because they made it sound like it would fix all problems.

I wonder if it irks psychiatrists over there to have people come in to their offices and say, "I want to take this medication." Rather than here where it's like, "I have these symptoms that I think I need medication for." Unless research has been done or opinions asked for on a forum.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #629 on: December 04, 2022, 03:21:25 AM »
I don't know. Mentioning a medication might just be a normal thing people don't think much about, like the fact there's advertisements.  :lol1:
:gopher: