Author Topic: to all the members Can You  (Read 3028 times)

Offline Praetor

• Constant Poster
Re: to all the members Can You
« Reply #105 on: September 15, 2006, 08:20:36 AM »
Nasogastric are actually worse than a PEG in some respects. The damage and complications it can cause out weigh the inconveniance of having a PEG fitted. Its not so much the risk of the tube being dislodged out fo the stomach it can cause alot of eroison damage from friction to the nasal cavity and gut

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: to all the members Can You
« Reply #106 on: September 15, 2006, 10:51:42 AM »
Nasogastric are actually worse than a PEG in some respects. The damage and complications it can cause out weigh the inconveniance of having a PEG fitted. Its not so much the risk of the tube being dislodged out fo the stomach it can cause alot of eroison damage from friction to the nasal cavity and gut

That's a good point.  I guess the main reason I was glad my daughter did not need a PEG tube was that it was surgery and that it would have implied semi-permanency to me.  Does that make sense?  I dealt with lots of medical issues with her and her pediatrician was concerned about me because I seemed to handle things so well, but one of the things I could not deal with was that they expected ME to put in her NG tube.  They tried to make me do it with their hands over my hands, but I could not deal with it.  Finally they got a nurse to come to our home and deal with it if it came out after they sent her home from the hospital one of the times before she finally had to have open heart surgery.

We only used the NG tube with a Kangaroo pump for overnight feeds.  She drank bottles of fortified mother's milk during the day.