Educational

Author Topic: what are you drinking right now?  (Read 126873 times)

ozymandias

Re: what are you drinking right now?
« Reply #4515 on: September 17, 2007, 08:04:31 PM »
Red Wine

(I'm off sherry for a bit!) :'(

You still haven't told which sherry a cactus eater should try.

That depends upon your taste in Fortified Wines, there's "Port"--sweet, Amontillado-semisweet, Marsala--semisweet and dry, sherry--cream, dry and very-dry, Vermouth-semisweet.  Also different distillers have different tastes.  Your standard "Jug" of cream sherry for $3.99 a gallon can taste like cough syrup that you had when you were a kid.  And since we're about the same age, I'm sure you know what I mean.  Your expensive sherry's like Harvey's Bristol Cream are too sweet for me.  Cloying, in fact, a glass makes my teeth hurt, it's that sweet.  My preference is Christian Brothers cream sherry,not too sweet with a nutty after taste.  And it's half the cost of Harvey's Bristol Cream.

Amontillado is hard to find, I'v only seen it once in a large warehouse liquor store.  By the term, "cactus eater", I would assume a Dry sherry would be the preference.  But, caveat emptor, a good sherry is really a subjective choice, just like music.  It really varies from individual to individual.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #4516 on: September 17, 2007, 09:21:31 PM »
Red Wine

That depends upon your taste in Fortified Wines, there's "Port"--sweet, Amontillado-semisweet, Marsala--semisweet and dry, sherry--cream, dry and very-dry, Vermouth-semisweet.  Also different distillers have different tastes.  Your standard "Jug" of cream sherry for $3.99 a gallon can taste like cough syrup that you had when you were a kid.  And since we're about the same age, I'm sure you know what I mean.  Your expensive sherry's like Harvey's Bristol Cream are too sweet for me.  Cloying, in fact, a glass makes my teeth hurt, it's that sweet.  My preference is Christian Brothers cream sherry,not too sweet with a nutty after taste.  And it's half the cost of Harvey's Bristol Cream.

Amontillado is hard to find, I'v only seen it once in a large warehouse liquor store.  By the term, "cactus eater", I would assume a Dry sherry would be the preference.  But, caveat emptor, a good sherry is really a subjective choice, just like music.  It really varies from individual to individual.

Thanks, Ozy. That's more education in the genre than I have ever had. I will do some experimenting after this little bottle of tequila is about gone.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #4517 on: September 17, 2007, 10:17:33 PM »
:tea:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4518 on: September 18, 2007, 02:35:25 AM »
:coffee:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

ozymandias

« Reply #4519 on: September 18, 2007, 06:35:14 AM »
Red Wine

Thanks, Ozy. That's more education in the genre than I have ever had. I will do some experimenting after this little bottle of tequila is about gone.

I'm still experimenting with liquors.  Right now, it's trying various types of Whiskey's, blended, single malt, Irish, Scottish, Southern USA, etc.

duncvis

« Reply #4520 on: September 18, 2007, 06:58:46 AM »
diet coke.

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #4521 on: September 18, 2007, 10:58:29 AM »
Coffee with chololate milk.
Guardian of the Empire

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4522 on: September 18, 2007, 11:50:40 AM »

That sounds good have to try it later

Now I am drinking Coca Cola or as I refer to it "The Water of Life"
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4523 on: September 18, 2007, 03:27:28 PM »
Red Wine

I'm still experimenting with liquors.  Right now, it's trying various types of Whiskey's, blended, single malt, Irish, Scottish, Southern USA, etc.

If our luck holds, we will never be done.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4524 on: September 18, 2007, 03:36:41 PM »

That sounds good have to try it later

Now I am drinking Coca Cola or as I refer to it "The Water of Life"

Made me think of this song ...

Water Of Love

High and dry in the long hot day
Lost and lonely in every way
Got the flats all around me sky up above
I need a little water of love

I've been too long lonely and my heart feels pain
Crying out for some soothing rain
I believe I have taken enough
I need a little water of love

Water of love deep in the ground
No water here to be found
Some day baby when the river runs free
It'll carry that water of love to me

There's a bird up in a tree sitting up high
Waiting for me to die
If I don't get some water soon
I'll be dead and gone in the afternoon

Once I had a woman I could call my own
Once I had a woman now my woman is gone
Once there was a river now there's a stone
You know it's evil when you're living alone

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4525 on: September 18, 2007, 03:39:40 PM »
i fucking love that song.  reminded me of bob dylan, when i first heard it.  great album - before they Went Stadium.  ::)

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4526 on: September 18, 2007, 04:28:59 PM »
beautiful. i love Bob Dylan.

whose is that?
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

ozymandias

« Reply #4527 on: September 18, 2007, 04:29:53 PM »
Mark Knopfler is an awesome guitarist and songwriter! 8)

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4528 on: September 18, 2007, 04:34:37 PM »
that was him?
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

ozymandias

« Reply #4529 on: September 18, 2007, 05:44:49 PM »
I believe so, or if it wasn't him who wrote it, then he did a really great version of the song!