Author Topic: what are you drinking right now?  (Read 127841 times)

ozymandias

Re: what are you drinking right now?
« Reply #1530 on: January 11, 2007, 05:08:25 PM »
Wychwood Hobgoblin - strong dark ale. Rich spicy one this, I'm glad I got three of em to try. :beer:  8)

I think I saw that at Beverages and More... is it any good??

Put it this way, I finished the first 500ml bottle in less than ten minutes and I wish I bought more than three. This one's going on my shortlist.

Have you tried diphenhydramine aka Benadryl, it's an anti-histamine and used as an over the counter sleep aid.  I use it with 1-3 mg of melatonin, also used as a sleep aid!  Melatonin is a dietary supplement!

Nope. Might be worth a try I suppose. :zzz:

Start with 25 mg of Benadryl, but take it at least an hour before bedtime, but, not too late, sometimes you get a "Benadryl Hangover" which is groggy in the morning.  You can take up to 50 mg at one time!  Let me know how or if it works!

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #1531 on: January 11, 2007, 05:15:12 PM »

Have you tried diphenhydramine aka Benadryl, it's an anti-histamine and used as an over the counter sleep aid.  I use it with 1-3 mg of melatonin, also used as a sleep aid!  Melatonin is a dietary supplement!

Is it only effective when taken with Melatonin?
I find that diphenhydramine wires me up to the wall outlet and I buzz my ass off with no chance of sleep whatsoever. I'm not contradicting you, but I know I'm hooked up funny, somehow.
I forget the dosage, but a doctor once gave me a supply with instructions to try one for three nights, then two for three nights and the call him. By the fifth night, on two of them, I was so wired I had the shakes from adrenaline or something and I got less sleep that week, than ever before. The next day I called him and he gave me something else. None of the next things worked, either. It was years ago.

Is Melatonin an over the counter supplement?

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #1532 on: January 11, 2007, 05:47:56 PM »
Monster energy drink.
Misunderstood.

Litigious

« Reply #1533 on: January 11, 2007, 06:17:01 PM »
Orange juice.  :glug:

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1534 on: January 11, 2007, 07:03:23 PM »

I find that diphenhydramine wires me up to the wall outlet and I buzz my ass off with no chance of sleep whatsoever. I'm not contradicting you, but I know I'm hooked up funny, somehow.
I forget the dosage, but a doctor once gave me a supply with instructions to try one for three nights, then two for three nights and the call him. By the fifth night, on two of them, I was so wired I had the shakes from adrenaline or something and I got less sleep that week, than ever before. The next day I called him and he gave me something else. None of the next things worked, either. It was years ago.

Yes, you can buy melatonin over the counter.  Here is one link I found, but you can probably buy it at a local drug store as well.

Even 25 mg of Benadryl makes me sleepy, but Sudafed makes me wired so I lie in bed for hours wide awake if I take it for a cold.

Litigious

« Reply #1535 on: January 11, 2007, 07:07:52 PM »
We can't buy melatonin in Sweden. It was free for a short period, but now it's not allowed to sell it. How unexpected.  ::)

Benadryl is a prescription drug here, though I don't see why. You can't get a "kick" out of it. But of course Big Brother must take care of us and protect us from ourselves...

Graelwyn

« Reply #1536 on: January 11, 2007, 07:21:49 PM »
Fresh air...well maybe stale air since it is my bedroom, but finished my fruit tea ages ago and cannot be assed to make anything else.

ozymandias

« Reply #1537 on: January 11, 2007, 08:04:02 PM »

No, Benadryl works fine by itself.  I take it with melatonin just for an extra bit of insurance.  As with any medication, the affects may vary.  Benadryl with young children may wire them up.  Also make sure to check any drug interactions THOROUGHLY...a little research goes a long way.

I have severe insomnia when I travel and the best stuff for me for a long nights sleep was 2mg of Ativan aka Lorazepam.   But it is a controlled substance in the benzodiazepene family (valium, xanax, etc.)  So getting it is a hassle.

Melatonin is a dietary supplement and comes in several dosages 1 or 3 mg is what I would recommend.  It also has anti oxidant properties so it's safe to take every night!

Litigious

« Reply #1538 on: January 11, 2007, 08:15:52 PM »
I asked my idiot psych to prescribe me Lorazepam, but he would only prescribe Diazepam. Lorazepam is said to be up to tree times stronger. The greatest benzo stuff is Flunitrazepam aka Rohypnol, though. But it's almost impossible to get prescribed.  :(

Scrapheap

« Reply #1539 on: January 11, 2007, 08:53:22 PM »
A coke to go with some chips. I'm STILL stuck at work!!  :( :( :grrr:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1540 on: January 12, 2007, 02:04:17 AM »
We can't buy melatonin in Sweden. It was free for a short period, but now it's not allowed to sell it. How unexpected.  ::)

Benadryl is a prescription drug here, though I don't see why. You can't get a "kick" out of it. But of course Big Brother must take care of us and protect us from ourselves...

Can't find any mentioning of Benadryl, Lit. Is it sold under another name? Is it like Atarax (that's what they prescribed to me)? Atarax doesn't work.  >:(

My son has even worse problems sleeping than I do, and finally, he'll get melatonin. This being Sweden--and I sooo agree with you on this--the doctor needs to apply for some sort of permit in order to actually prescribe it to him. ::)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #1541 on: January 12, 2007, 02:23:41 AM »
Cold coffee.
Guardian of the Empire

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #1542 on: January 12, 2007, 05:28:58 AM »
Dr Pepper but it isnt helping that much. :grrr:

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #1543 on: January 12, 2007, 05:45:15 AM »
More cold coffee.
Guardian of the Empire

Litigious

« Reply #1544 on: January 12, 2007, 06:19:11 AM »
Can't find any mentioning of Benadryl, Lit. Is it sold under another name? Is it like Atarax (that's what they prescribed to me)? Atarax doesn't work.  >:(

It's sold as cough medicine under the name Desentol.