Author Topic: Genetic Screening for Aspergers  (Read 2713 times)

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
Re: Genetic Screening for Aspergers
« Reply #105 on: December 29, 2009, 07:27:42 PM »

Its also why Terrorism works - you cannot downtrod a minority for too long as increasingly small groups have the means to fight back. Of course I am not suggesting that as an approach, even though some great collegues of ours have tried it. But take a step down or two and look at other means of disrupting a society. Again they rely on a small committed core and tend to be very effective methods if applied right.

I would not be surprised if you were to be charged for terroristic acts, would you succeed to sneak in ASD sperm in massive amounts in spermbanks and get caught.
You are willing to mess on a very fundamental basis with the lives of thousands of people then.

I ask you again, why not set up an alternative sperm bank. Get publicity for that. Don't act covert, but open. Claiming the right of infertile couples with an ASD partner to want children from donors that have the quirkyness/ASD in common with the social parent to be.
Goodness the aim would be to get caught, in fact eventually we would have to be. If they try and martyr us in that sort of fashion, it would really make my day - in fact being charged with terroristic acts would be a perfect result, if you think about the publicity that would follow it, the copycats with new schemes and the movement which would emerge. But I don't think things will roll quite that perfectly, much as I would like them too. I doubt the state would charge us with anything, though a court case would be fantastic if we could get one.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 07:30:42 PM by Christopher McCandless »

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #106 on: December 29, 2009, 07:56:57 PM »

Its also why Terrorism works - you cannot downtrod a minority for too long as increasingly small groups have the means to fight back. Of course I am not suggesting that as an approach, even though some great collegues of ours have tried it. But take a step down or two and look at other means of disrupting a society. Again they rely on a small committed core and tend to be very effective methods if applied right.

I would not be surprised if you were to be charged for terroristic acts, would you succeed to sneak in ASD sperm in massive amounts in spermbanks and get caught.
You are willing to mess on a very fundamental basis with the lives of thousands of people then.

I ask you again, why not set up an alternative sperm bank. Get publicity for that. Don't act covert, but open. Claiming the right of infertile couples with an ASD partner to want children from donors that have the quirkyness/ASD in common with the social parent to be.
Goodness the aim would be to get caught, in fact eventually we would have to be. If they try and martyr us in that sort of fashion, it would really make my day - in fact being charged with terroristic acts would be a perfect result, if you think about the publicity that would follow it, the copycats with new schemes and the movement which would emerge. But I don't think things will roll quite that perfectly, much as I would like them too. I doubt the state would charge us with anything, though a court case would be fantastic if we could get one.

Do you take notice of the fact that you would be affecting the lives of many people with this. And that it may turn out to be a horrible thing for some of the ASD babies and the totally not ASD parents? Parents having no idea? Or maybe even hating the cuckooed kid, because of the sneaky way it became theirs? Do you think telling a kid, damaged because of your actions is going to be ok when you say you did it for the greater good?

Did you follow a course of ethics somewhere in your curriculum?
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #107 on: December 29, 2009, 08:18:17 PM »

Do you take notice of the fact that you would be affecting the lives of many people with this. And that it may turn out to be a horrible thing for some of the ASD babies and the totally not ASD parents? Parents having no idea? Or maybe even hating the cuckooed kid, because of the sneaky way it became theirs? Do you think telling a kid, damaged because of your actions is going to be ok when you say you did it for the greater good?

Did you follow a course of ethics somewhere in your curriculum?
Point #1 Your method has no chance of working, which you have yet to acknowledge or accept. Therefore:
#2 You are going to (a) need a new method or (b) going to give up.
#3 In the meantime, lots of peoples lives are being very negatively effected by the status quo, which given you haven't a plan for dealing with #2(a), you are going for #2(b). In the mean time, well predictably lots of people with ASD are being perpetually screwed over.
#4 I don't regard myself as damaged goods, nor do I regard people with ASD's in such a fashion. Grow some self-respect, please.
#5 Look at the results of Robert Klark Graham's project (which was more or less the same thing in terms of the donors he was soliciting) and discover that all the stuff you say is going to happen, didn't happen to those kids.

Oh and don't give me ethics lectures, I left church a long time ago and preaching at me that I am a sinner or whatever isn't going to work. It isn't like your religion hasn't killed a good few million for the greater good, on the other hand I am after a negative score. Go figure.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #108 on: December 29, 2009, 08:38:59 PM »
LOL,

There is more ethics than religious ethics.

Go check your library, or courses at uni.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #109 on: December 29, 2009, 08:40:46 PM »
Oh, and 'damaged'.

I was not talking about the way the kid is born.

But, children can get damaged badly by their parents, or environment.

I know you like to work with resentment.

Kids suffering from resentment that the parents harbour can get damaged badly.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #110 on: December 29, 2009, 09:09:06 PM »
More aspies know each other now, due to the internet. So there should be an increase in aspies being made as a result of relationships started online.

That would concur with Prof. Baron-Cohen's hypothesis that the rise in ASD may be partly due to more aspies meeting and  :missionary:
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #111 on: December 29, 2009, 11:48:19 PM »

I think that's a really good idea to start an alternative egg and sperm donor program like that sperm bank for geniuses so people (whether they have an ASD or not) who want to conceive a child have a choice whether they want a higher chance of having a more intelligent but possibly autistic child.  I would welcome such a child, but I think it's unfair to both the child and his/her prospective parents to sneak in your eggs and sperm by lying to the prospective parents.  They ask you to disclose all sorts of information when you make a donation, and I think the questions deserve honest answers.

Offline SleepyDragon

• Little Green Lizard of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #112 on: December 29, 2009, 11:52:16 PM »
I'm confused, Hadron. First you say this:

We only need 10,000 or so people who will do what they are told to get things done, not individuals who think they no best and decide to do whatver the hell they like.

Then you say this:

At least I have the self-respect to think for myself, a self-respect most of our lot seem to have lost these days.

And then later on, you say this:

At best, your approach is simply going to change people to those who don't know to those who don't know very much but think they know. The latter can be worse in many circumstances, for obvious reasons. If anything, awareness may well have made things a lot worse, especially for higher functioning individuals.

Well, which is it? Do we get to be self-respecting, and to think for ourselves? Or just have faith in you, or some other charismatic leader :) , to tell us the right thing to do? It's called democracy. It isn't perfect, but it's better than the alternatives.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 01:19:52 AM by SleepyDragon »

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #113 on: December 30, 2009, 07:14:19 AM »
LOL,

Try sets of ethics which are not dictated by a society - then I might actually think something of it.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #114 on: December 30, 2009, 07:15:51 AM »
Oh, and 'damaged'.

I was not talking about the way the kid is born.

But, children can get damaged badly by their parents, or environment.

I know you like to work with resentment.

Kids suffering from resentment that the parents harbour can get damaged badly.
And be a lot more effective 20 years down the line when they all sign up for our cause, following your argument to its natural end.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #115 on: December 30, 2009, 07:18:51 AM »
I'm confused, Hadron. First you say this:

We only need 10,000 or so people who will do what they are told to get things done, not individuals who think they no best and decide to do whatver the hell they like.

Then you say this:

At least I have the self-respect to think for myself, a self-respect most of our lot seem to have lost these days.

And then later on, you say this:

At best, your approach is simply going to change people to those who don't know to those who don't know very much but think they know. The latter can be worse in many circumstances, for obvious reasons. If anything, awareness may well have made things a lot worse, especially for higher functioning individuals.

Well, which is it? Do we get to be self-respecting, and to think for ourselves? Or just have faith in you, or some other charismatic leader :) , to tell us the right thing to do? It's called democracy. It isn't perfect, but it's better than the alternatives.
There is no contradiction. The first post refers to those who think they know, but are merely copying society, they haven't truely thought it about it themselves. By contrast, I have spent a lot of time carefully finding my own answers. Post 3 refers to NT attitudes, if you look at it in its correct context and I see plenty of evidence of that effect.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #116 on: December 30, 2009, 07:20:34 AM »

I think that's a really good idea to start an alternative egg and sperm donor program like that sperm bank for geniuses so people (whether they have an ASD or not) who want to conceive a child have a choice whether they want a higher chance of having a more intelligent but possibly autistic child.  I would welcome such a child, but I think it's unfair to both the child and his/her prospective parents to sneak in your eggs and sperm by lying to the prospective parents.  They ask you to disclose all sorts of information when you make a donation, and I think the questions deserve honest answers.
If you check carefully, as long as you actually believe in yourself as a human being, then there is no need to lie on the forms, whilst still not revealing that you have AS.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #117 on: December 30, 2009, 12:26:34 PM »
Well so far, I do find it intriguing how Hadron thinks to be politically successful. He doesn't seem to want to find allies in other groups of people that are not excepted in main-stream normality. And he is extremely successful in showing a great contempt for the people he claims to represent.

The way he is behaving looks more like the ways of a religious zealous sectarian cult leader, than the ways of a politician. But, that is not that distant from the ways of a 'political' leader who wants to impose his ideas by all means.
You know, come to think of it, he DOES act very much like a wannabe cult leader.  What I find hilarious is that that didn't occur to me... but wondering if he was slightly psychotic did.  Very similar thought and argument style.   :laugh:

I think he is very naive, lacks empathy, has a sense of entitlement, and is extremely egotistical.  If not for the first part he would probably be quite the potential politician.  He is, I think, too focused on how he wants things to be to see how they would be.  For example, an obvious flaw in his thinking is that he assumes that people with ASDs would automatically want to join his cause.  He assumes this despite posting about his 'cause' on an ASD forum and not getting anywhere near universal support.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #118 on: December 30, 2009, 12:27:35 PM »
LOL,

:plus: :pwned:

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #119 on: December 30, 2009, 01:04:32 PM »
Well so far, I do find it intriguing how Hadron thinks to be politically successful. He doesn't seem to want to find allies in other groups of people that are not excepted in main-stream normality. And he is extremely successful in showing a great contempt for the people he claims to represent.

The way he is behaving looks more like the ways of a religious zealous sectarian cult leader, than the ways of a politician. But, that is not that distant from the ways of a 'political' leader who wants to impose his ideas by all means.
You know, come to think of it, he DOES act very much like a wannabe cult leader.  What I find hilarious is that that didn't occur to me... but wondering if he was slightly psychotic did.  Very similar thought and argument style.   :laugh:

I think he is very naive, lacks empathy, has a sense of entitlement, and is extremely egotistical.  If not for the first part he would probably be quite the potential politician. 
When it comes down to it, its never my arse getting burned, its someone elses instead. As a politician I have experience and am effective. I get things done without bullshitting.
He is, I think, too focused on how he wants things to be to see how they would be.  For example, an obvious flaw in his thinking is that he assumes that people with ASDs would automatically want to join his cause.  He assumes this despite posting about his 'cause' on an ASD forum and not getting anywhere near universal support.
I only need a small minority to join and respect me, in the beginning. The internet contains a lot of people who have a vested interest in no change, so I expect little support from some quarters to begin with.