Educational

Author Topic: Post random interesting trivia  (Read 2801 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Post random interesting trivia
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2018, 08:55:36 PM »
They all have vowels, consonants and no numbers in their names. :GA:
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2018, 10:49:47 PM »
What do the following 4 band names have in common??

Jethro Tull
Molly Hatchet
Lynyrd Skynyrd and
The Marshall Tucker Band

That's easy.

They're all bands from the olden days and they all suck.

Is it that they are all named after real people who were not members of the band?
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2018, 06:56:52 PM »
What do the following 4 band names have in common??

Jethro Tull
Molly Hatchet
Lynyrd Skynyrd and
The Marshall Tucker Band

That's easy.

Is it that they are all named after real people who were not members of the band?

Yep. And if I had been caller #3 I would've got a $25 gift certificate courtesy of KTWS.

Jethro Tull = Father of modern agriculture
Molly Hatchet = Prostituite who killed several of her clients
Lynyrd Skynyrd = The Van Zant's P.E. teacher
The Marshall Tucker Band = a blind piano tuner who was the previous tennant of the studio the band used.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2018, 11:03:33 PM »
"Baskin Robbins once made ketchup ice cream. This was the only vegetable flavored ice cream produced. " :P

"Elvis Presley made only one television commercial - an ad for "Southern Maid Doughnuts" that ran in 1954."

"Swans are the only birds with penises."
Ducks, geese and flightless birds emus and ostriches also have penises. These make up 3% of the bird population.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2018, 05:47:19 PM »
My P2P is being cleaned up, washed whilst in dichloromethane, with water and brine, distilling the dichlor off and its coming over nicey, at about 1.5 drops  a second.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2018, 06:09:18 PM »
Parrots can count up to 6.

Whether that is a worthwhile trade-off for not having a penis, I have no idea.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2018, 06:29:55 PM »
Coming over much more slowly at a higher heat now. Going to be ready for oximation and reduction to 'phet with zinc and ammonium formate, which I''ve never done before but apparently it takes just a few minutes, about 5-6 minutes for the reduction to proceed to completion.

That'll be nice, because it took two days  work to get from the nitropropene to the ketone, a  quick oximation in aqueous medium (oximes are usually insoluble so it ought to precipitate out as its formed. So I can dry the oxime by dissolving it in methanol  and adding some 3A molecular sieves.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 06:32:47 PM by Lestat »

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2018, 03:18:51 PM »

Did anyone even read my post about maximizing your silver search?

Seriously, take some bucks, go to a different bank chain every week. Hell I figure if I do not claim all the random silver still in circulation, someone else will.

I have a "thing" maturing and it is paying bit by bit over the coming months. This time I have made arrangements for tomorrow morning to pick up one hundred rolls of half dollars to glean for silver.
It does not cost anything, guys. Sure it is heavy as hell to tote, but the bank will take it all back on Monday morning and the only thing you are out is the silver you found and kept.

Of course a trip to the local silver broker makes you money.

I plan to slow smoke a huge ham as well this weekend. I will be busy.

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2018, 09:43:47 PM »

Did anyone even read my post about maximizing your silver search?

Seriously, take some bucks, go to a different bank chain every week. Hell I figure if I do not claim all the random silver still in circulation, someone else will.

I have a "thing" maturing and it is paying bit by bit over the coming months. This time I have made arrangements for tomorrow morning to pick up one hundred rolls of half dollars to glean for silver.
It does not cost anything, guys. Sure it is heavy as hell to tote, but the bank will take it all back on Monday morning and the only thing you are out is the silver you found and kept.

Of course a trip to the local silver broker makes you money.

I plan to slow smoke a huge ham as well this weekend. I will be busy.

I used to do that, before they closed 4 banks around here. Rarely found anything though...competition was tough to beat, now with about 3 working banks it's almost impossible, better odds with checking the coinstar return in Walmart.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2018, 10:51:30 AM »
How do you test it DD? hydrogen sulfide? nitric acid followed by a chloride salt (precipitates insoluble silver chloride whilst then the nitrate is highly soluble as are most nitrates.)

Reminds me of a great silver find I had. Was searching, of all the places to find a hoard of silver, in a dumpster. Looking for copper or lead, had absolutely NO idea that I was going to find silver, a couple of pieces in silver and either ivory or whalebone , the very least precious being silver buttons for a coat, minus the coat. Thought...hmmm...those have a familiar slight warm golden overtone to the typical bright shiny metallic appearance of bulk metals, it isn't copper, it isn't lead, too heavy for aluminium....is that what I think it is...'

Took everything I found home, after systematically dismantling, piling up in stacks and picking through each and every little trifle, every rubbish sack of old cloth and costume jewellery, to find a rolex, broken but the scrap value for the diamonds and the gold has to be worth having, nabbed each and every one of those buttons unless there may have been one or two I missed buried inside old clothing, the other quite definitely silver and antique silver, plus the silver-ivory or silver-whalebone items. Very definitely nice stuff. The buttons were newer, fresher and less oxidized/less surface sulfide layer, but taking advantage of that characteristic dark tarnish silver can take on, and produced some hydrogen sulfide gas, carefully of course, given it has similar toxicity to hydrogen cyanide, in terms of rapidly knocking down the electron transport chain and inhibiting cellular respiration within mitochondria, choking cells  to death on the molecular level despite being in an oxygenated atmosphere. Unlike cyanide, which with first inhalation of an alkyl nitrite ester aka 'poppers', the shitty recreational drug, that acts as a rapid vasodilator and helps deliver nitrite to the system as fast as possible to keep you alive long enough to administer intravenous sodium nitrite (not nitrAte, nitrIte, and finally sodium thiosulfate to complex the liberated cyanide and  allow its excretion. I know of someone on one of the chemistry forum who was accidentally poisoned with cyanide, and he would have died within minutes, had he not known what to do, managed to keep his head screwed on in the right direction despite the circumstances, keep calm as possible and prepare and intravenously inject a dose of sodium nitrite. then prepare and inject a second shot of thiosulfate in order to complex the cyanide he'd almost killed himself with. Got to admire courage like that in a hobby chemist, I've gotten myself out of some tough ass scrapes intact, but that takes fucking balls of steel. )

H2S is similarly nasty, if not more insidious, because it sneaks up, foul smelling, like rotting eggs, but also paralyzes the olfactory nerve, so the sense of smell is, if the hydrogen sulfide doesn't kill you outright, deadened temporarily, leading the unwary or those unaware of the insidious tendency of H2S to ninja people and whack them when they think it's gone away, when in reality the situation is just that the individual is unable to detect the odour, And unlike cyanides, the cyanide rescue protocol doesn't work for hydrogen sulfide.

But it IS handy at times, such as for artificially producing tarnish on suspected silver, so as to determine a true or false status. So I could tell I had indeed found goodies beyond what I hoped to possibly find in a dumpster in the stuff that wasn't hallmarked, as I had not at the time, either any nitric acid or any nitrate salt or other nitro or nitrito -compound with which to prepare any, and needed doing one way or the other. No aqua regia as  a result either, but I'm not the type to go by a philosophy 'if in doubt go without', or similar, and I had to figure out a way to wing it, which turned out to be roasting metal powder, iron, pretty sure, and sulfur dust to produce a metal sulfide, roughening the surface  of a button, wetting it with water, and exposing it to a stream of hydrogen sulfide. Of course needing great care in the proceedings,given the nature of H2S and it's talent for killing people, but the tell-tale blackening told me just what I needed to know, and even better, just what I wanted to hear too, I.e that the effort gone to and use of H2S was justified and that I was indeed sitting on a pile of silver. And the best bits of it antique.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2018, 11:59:12 AM »
How do you test it DD? hydrogen sulfide? nitric acid followed by a chloride salt (precipitates insoluble silver chloride whilst then the nitrate is highly soluble as are most nitrates.)

Reminds me of a great silver find I had. 

You do not have to test anything at all. US coinage is minted with guaranteed purity standards and all you really have to do is look at the edges.
All the "copper clad" coinage has a copper colored edge.  Any doubts as to the silver content; look at the date when the coinage was minted. Early was 90% silver - starting in '65 through '67 they used a 40% mix.

The difference is quite obvious between nickel/copper coins and any with silver content. Silver is also a different color and sticks out like the proverbial "sore thumb," so to speak.

If in doubt, look at the dates. Anything minted '68 or later is garbage nickel/copper crap.
Only exception would be where idiot junkie kids stole from their parent's collection and turned in his "Bicentennial" sets bought directly from the mint.
There are both standards of silver minted to commemorate our bicentennial in 1976.

Back in the seventies, I used to buy bags of silver coins by the pound from Mexico. There was very little control of purity to coinage, so the brokers used chemistry to determine the silver content of various coinage. Kind of a pain, but buying by the peso, by the weight and sending it all to a melter - I won, always.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 12:02:16 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2018, 02:48:14 PM »
Downside of the euro. No silver surprises to be found.
Before that, now and then there was a silver surprise. But never in a fl2,50 coin. Those were bigger than the newer fl2,50 coins, so they had all be found already.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2018, 02:52:03 PM »
^ Are you Dutch? ^

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2018, 02:57:34 PM »
Third time you asked. Thought I had answered you the first time. Apparently not.

Ja, ik heb de Nederlandse nationaliteit.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2018, 02:59:23 PM »
If I see a reference to anything Dutch, I should think they're Dutch and not Paraguyan or Uzbek or something.