Author Topic: What are you not doing right now...  (Read 14374 times)

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
Re: What are you not doing right now...
« Reply #765 on: February 02, 2017, 03:18:09 AM »
I've only just woke up really, so had breakfast. Now there is a new gas tank for the torch, been meaning to finish the silversmithing job I am doing as a gift for someone. Been experimenting with really fine silver powder, bound in an organic polymer, so it can be pressed into a mold like window putty, etc. and stay there, rather than be blown away by the torch fiame, the binder burns away in the heat of the torch, leaving whatever your casting behind.

Going to do that in a bit when I've woken up properly.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #766 on: February 02, 2017, 03:25:40 AM »
I've only just woke up really, so had breakfast. Now there is a new gas tank for the torch, been meaning to finish the silversmithing job I am doing as a gift for someone. Been experimenting with really fine silver powder, bound in an organic polymer, so it can be pressed into a mold like window putty, etc. and stay there, rather than be blown away by the torch fiame, the binder burns away in the heat of the torch, leaving whatever your casting behind.

Will you post a pic of the finished product? I'd like to see what you're giving her.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #767 on: February 02, 2017, 06:10:28 AM »

Will you post a pic of the finished product? I'd like to see what you're giving her.

Me too!  :)
:dog:

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #768 on: February 02, 2017, 09:28:06 AM »
I will do, assuming it comes out alright. This polymer-bound Ag is experimental, Although I have some 5-6g of silver bullion for if it doesn't work as desired, or if it does, to compensate for shrinkage due to the burning off of the binder, since the silver that can just be pressed into the mold is only part of the total, once the binder burns off there will be less material, so I'm going to melt some Ag if needs be, and pour it in whilst the entire thing is still molten. And if I need more really fine silver, I do have some of the chloride, which I could reduce to the metal if needs be.

I'll take a pic of the unfinished article now actually, whilst it is in the mold so you can see the kind of material I'm talking about. Don't know if anyone else has come up with it, I just thought it would be a kind of neat alternative to things like lost wax casting.

Made the mold itself by hand, using a block of casting sand, by using my bench grinder to sharpen a piece of fret-wire (as in the stuff guitar frets are made from), one end to a fine point the other to a blade-like edge, and after carefully stenciling the design on paper with a ruler, etc, used a pencil to both draw the outline and gouge a faint outline too, then carefully went over it by hand to create a negative impression in which to place the polymer-bound Ag, after rehydrating that in a mixture of water and acetone until it was workable again, since its been sitting on the lab shelves for a few years now and was almost forgotten, until this was decided on.

The idea, is that as the matrix burns off, the silver is in fine particle form and should melt/sinter at a lower temperature than bulk silver. Although the latter is held in reserve for if its needed, or for if I have to re-do the project entirely. If thats the case, I might try machining a mold out of thin aluminium and then once molten silver is poured in and it has solidified and cooled, dissolve away the aluminium using caustic soda.

The unfinished, pre-melted version in the mold doesn't look at all pretty, but once finished, and where needs be, first filed into its exact end shape (over a tray, of course, so as to catch any silver filings coming off, and keep them. Like mercury waste, any precious metal 'waste' I produce is kept until there is enough to recover the precious metal or mercury content of the waste) and polished up, if I can, then given an electroplated layer of palladium, since I have some PdCl2 on hand, intended for making supported palladium catalysts, but dissolved in acid, it should be ideal for electroplating, and make the silver much more resistant to tarnish (Pd is similar to platinum, and unlike silver, it doesn't tarnish in air or go dark in contact with skin, as silver does, due to sulfur content of some amino-acids, since silver has a fair affinity for sulfur and forms a dark layer of silver sulfide.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #769 on: February 02, 2017, 09:35:42 AM »
I think not doing stuff is my talent.  :zoinks:

Also insulting yourself without fully understanding it.  :hahaha: :trollface:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #770 on: February 02, 2017, 10:08:31 AM »
This is the un-melted article, still with its binder. I had begun heating it with the torch, which is why the mold is charred and blackened, but unfortunately the gas tank picked that very moment, to run empty. My old man has, however, bought a fresh tank, so I can again start work, since we both use the torch whenever needed. And thankfully, I didn't have to pay anything towards it. I did ask him to pick up some smaller little gas cylinders for my own hand-held blowtorches, but unfortunately he didn't know what fitting type to get, so, well, I need to get some myself.

Oh well. I needed to buy some denatured alcohol or methanol anyhow, as well as some isopropanol, I'm running way too low on solvents for my liking, having what I use dictated by what is available on the shelves, in my solvent cupboard and the fridge is most unacceptable. I want to simply decide what I want and/or need to use, go to the lab, pick it up and do whatever it is that I'm going to do with it, not have to think about it and go buy more.

Last time I put in a big order from somewhere that has very good prices, or appears to, only, they tried to do a runner with nearly half a grand. Thankfully it was on my card and I simply reversed the charges after they refused to reply to at first polite enquiry as to delivery time, and request for acknowledgement, then getting irritated when weeks and weeks (for somewhere apparently UK based) went by and nothing, despite repeated attempts at email. Their phone line wasn't even manned, and I'd tried on several days for several hours to get through. Ignored. Ignored pissy emails, and eventually it degenerated into outright fury and my letting loose on them.

I've still been meaning, that reminds me, to send trading standards after the pricks. If that had been a payment made other than by card meaning it was reversible, they would have defrauded me and made off with a couple of small notes in change from half a bastard grand. Someone in fact, went down to their 'office' and found that it was unmanned, no signage, just a few chemical drums in a yard.

They are lucky it wasn't me that went down there, or somebody would have ended up welded into one of those drums and dumped in a lake somewhere (after, of course, taking any stock if any they actually did have)

I saw several glowing reviews online. But later investigation afterwards, every single positive review I found was made by either a one-post shill, or a shill who had posted the same lying shite multiple times, anyone with a reputation for reviews, when I dug such up, told me they were a bunch of fucking snakes, basically.

I left a review of my own, too. And it was...shall we say, less than complimentary. Far less. About as complimentary as a brick in the face. Which should I ever meet the owner of this so called supplier, they will receive. And be made to hand over their wallet in exchange for my loss of a perfectly good brick and the acid needed to dissolve the body when they regain consciousness. And for that matter, the salt needed to pour all over them after having skinned them alive. Hell, I'd quite happily charge them for a replacement rusty stanley knife blade in exchange for the one that would need disposing of after having used it to remove their skin and tan it for a new leather coat. Or at the very least, a new set of boots and gloves. And they'd be buying me a new set of pliers to replace those used to remove their teeth, finger- and toenails and a bit more salt for said bodyparts.

I was relying on a rapid shipment, as should have been expected, too, since I NEEDED the things I'd ordered and in double-quick time too. Fucking scamming je...pig fuckers.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #771 on: February 02, 2017, 10:09:04 AM »

When all is said and done, and it has been thoroughly roasted, the result, I most certainly hope, is going to be a crux ansata, the egyptian ankh, symbol of life. For the intended recipient has gone out of their way to do her best to improve mine, I wish her a long and happy one, and, generally speaking, just managing to coax a laugh or smile out of her has several times, made my day, so to speak, shes a real sweetie. And this is in essence, an xmas and thank-you gift for her, since after I asked her how her xmas went and if she got anything really good, it turns out she didn't get anything truly special.

That, I won't stand for. She IS getting something special.

I have a fine silver chain for it too, although one link is broken, and I'm going to have to build either a laser or electric arc-based spot welder since the break is really near the ring which joins the two ends of the chain together, and which has the catch to put on, and take off the necklace.

If I can contrive to be the one to put it round her purrty neck, so much the better, although that is not in the LEAST why I am making this. But all the same, it would be nice. If there is some good-quality hardwood, I'll make a box for it too, if there isn't, it looks like I will have to obtain some of that the hard way, by taking a saw to a tree-branch. Something like oak, or sweet chestnut, saw it off and take it home to carve and to season.

The polymer-part looks untidy, but the molten silver will flow down into the mold, and a little excess was packed in s, hoping to avoid having to use any of my silver bullion bars, the excess polymer-bound Ag is to compensate for shrinkage as the organic fraction burns away.

For someone who's not autistic or
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 03:32:44 PM by Lestat »

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #772 on: February 02, 2017, 03:47:40 PM »
  I'm not doing much of anything!  It's a day off, recuperating from feeling run-down.  8)

People forget.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #773 on: February 02, 2017, 04:17:56 PM »
 :hug:

(I'm not physically hugging the Weeble.)
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #774 on: February 02, 2017, 04:19:39 PM »
:hug:

(I'm not physically hugging the Weeble.)

I'm glad we can hang out here. :cbc: :heart:   :hyke:

People forget.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #775 on: February 02, 2017, 04:21:11 PM »
I am not regretting that either.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #776 on: February 03, 2017, 06:57:20 PM »
I think not doing stuff is my talent.  :zoinks:

Also insulting yourself without fully understanding it.  :hahaha: :trollface:

I'm so good at not doing stuff I should get a trophy.  :zoinks: I could be an award winning not doing stuffer.  :hadron:
:gopher:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #777 on: February 07, 2017, 07:43:21 PM »
I'm not doing stuff again.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #778 on: February 08, 2017, 03:37:52 AM »
Drying the dishes. I will leave them for a while.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #779 on: February 08, 2017, 05:15:18 AM »
Anything useful.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein