Educational

Author Topic: I hope Les has another heart attack soon  (Read 12501 times)

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: I hope Les has another heart attack soon
« Reply #420 on: December 12, 2009, 07:05:32 AM »
i'd rather change my exterior to make my life easier than fuck with who i am to be normal

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #421 on: December 12, 2009, 07:10:33 AM »
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/science/genetics/article6952050.ece
If you mutate enough genes we become bananas. This is nothing really new.

If becoming bananas is anything like going troppo (also known as mango madness), this surely belongs more to the realm of urban myth than science. :green:

The author of the Times Online piece notes that practical application of these findings to humans is still quite a way off. Nevertheless, it's interesting news — if for no other reason than demonstrating, yet again, the enormous plasticity of human sexuality and the inadequacy of the male/female binary model in explaining it.

All joking aside, though, a short course of gene therapy would most definitely win out over painful and risky surgeries and/or medication with hormones.
The risk with gene therapy is quite high, for one it hasnt been tested properly on humans. Not sure what the wider implications would be on someone too, this gene could be linked to something else too.

Offline SleepyDragon

• Little Green Lizard of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #422 on: December 12, 2009, 07:33:47 AM »
^ Good point about unintended consequences. I'm not of the "It CAN be done, therefore it SHOULD be done" school of thought. But surely the notion of what is appropriate, and what is risky, is one best determined by the person undergoing treatment and having given informed consent.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #423 on: December 12, 2009, 07:38:06 AM »
It would be a hell of a thing to go "Whoopsss!" about
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #424 on: December 12, 2009, 07:54:34 AM »
^ Good point about unintended consequences. I'm not of the "It CAN be done, therefore it SHOULD be done" school of thought. But surely the notion of what is appropriate, and what is risky, is one best determined by the person undergoing treatment and having given informed consent.
Think their sanity should factor into it.

Offline SleepyDragon

• Little Green Lizard of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #425 on: December 12, 2009, 08:11:15 AM »
You have to think "cost-benefit" here. We gamble with our lives, all the time, in a variety of ways. "I only smoke a pack a day, where's the harm?" "One more drink, I should still be right to drive." "I'm only going 500 metres, what's the point of a seatbelt?" etc. We use all kinds of tricks, including substances, to make ourselves feel "normal" — whatever the hell that is supposed to mean. Why should anyone should be prevented from seeking whatever treatment they feel is appropriate? Humans commit all manner of stupidities in full knowledge of adverse consequences (legal penalties, premature death, disapproval from neighbours, etc.) If we are to fall into error, let it be on the side of permitting, not restraining, the act — especially where harm to third parties is not demonstrated.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #426 on: August 27, 2014, 01:04:33 PM »
At least I'm attacking HIM, and not making disgusting little posts about a dog.

Good to see you have such high moral standards.  :thumbup:

::)