Educational

Author Topic: What are You doing right now?  (Read 138738 times)

ozymandias

Re: What are You doing right now?
« Reply #6705 on: June 14, 2008, 06:44:20 AM »
Waiting for my tea to finish steeping, so I can drink it and then take my daughter and myself to volunteer at the local animal shelter!

Online renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6706 on: June 14, 2008, 07:51:00 AM »
Listening to GA play "Marble Blast" - I don't know if the sound of the marble rolling bothers me or not, I can't make up my mind.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6707 on: June 14, 2008, 08:00:06 AM »
Thinking about all the stuff I am supposed to do today and how much of it I can get away without doing
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6708 on: June 14, 2008, 03:14:21 PM »
Well, that's the other option. Did you run chkdsk on it?

I was just on WIKI last night, two-ish, compiling a CD for work and I suffered two session ending crashes. Thankk the fuck gawds that my start-up routine at that moment included chkdsk.

I probably would not be posting, otherwise.

Not sure what happened, but I heard my HDD seeker re-perch and all went vertical stripes and quasi-Sierpinski looking mouse cursor. I suspected the card again, but the cursor was a give-away that it was not that this time.

I shut it all down, fourish, and ran a ""complete"" chkdsk on start up. It took six-plus hours! It was not quite done when I got home from the "meeting"

You will probably need to do a low-level format on that disk. An ordinary format won't help you with the MBR.

Are you talking about a "zero-fill" type of format, where the drive writes over and reads every address, sector, etc? If I can recall, there is a command switch in DOS that does this, too, but I haven't used DOS in so long I would need to freshen my memory of which command switches to use.

No, DOS can't do that sort of formatting. A zero-fill format most probably isn't enough.

I know there are troubleshooting utilities available that perform this type of formatting and initiation. I may still have the one that came with this drive, somewhere. MaxBlaster or something like that, I think it's called.

You can download MaxBlaster if you don't have it anymore. If memory serves, MaxBlaster does the kind of low-level formatting I'm talking about. There's also a Linux-based boot CD with formatting and partitioning tools out there that I have used successfully.

... or are you talking about a way to flash the ROM where the drive's construction and "bad sector" error record info is kept inside the hardware. I don't know how to do that.

You can't flash that ROM, AFAIK, but even if you could, it wouldn't be wise. The information there is vital to your disk.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #6709 on: June 14, 2008, 03:45:51 PM »

I was just on WIKI last night, two-ish, compiling a CD for work and I suffered two session ending crashes. Thankk the fuck gawds that my start-up routine at that moment included chkdsk.

Not sure what happened, but I heard my HDD seeker re-perch and all went vertical stripes and quasi-Sierpinski looking mouse cursor. I suspected the card again, but the cursor was a give-away that it was not that this time.

I shut it all down, fourish, and ran a ""complete"" chkdsk on start up. It took six-plus hours! It was not quite done when I got home from the "meeting"

You will probably need to do a low-level format on that disk. An ordinary format won't help you with the MBR.

Are you talking about a "zero-fill" type of format, where the drive writes over and reads every address, sector, etc? If I can recall, there is a command switch in DOS that does this, too, but I haven't used DOS in so long I would need to freshen my memory of which command switches to use.

No, DOS can't do that sort of formatting. A zero-fill format most probably isn't enough.

Really? Then, I am mistaken. I thought an fdsik cmd could zerofill a disk.
I know there are troubleshooting utilities available that perform this type of formatting and initiation. I may still have the one that came with this drive, somewhere. MaxBlaster or something like that, I think it's called.

You can download MaxBlaster if you don't have it anymore. If memory serves, MaxBlaster does the kind of low-level formatting I'm talking about. There's also a Linux-based boot CD with formatting and partitioning tools out there that I have used successfully.

I found it. I have the MaxBlast CD.  I gott alll the shitt for thiss hardware, updated it at work today, too.
... or are you talking about a way to flash the ROM where the drive's construction and "bad sector" error record info is kept inside the hardware. I don't know how to do that.

You can't flash that ROM, AFAIK, but even if you could, it wouldn't be wise. The information there is vital to your disk.

... and if I understand, correctly, the info is unique to this particular disk. I have no idea how those determinations are made with the current run of disk technology.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 03:54:19 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6710 on: June 14, 2008, 03:56:38 PM »

I'm ready to trash this install of XP. I will carry out the re-install tomorrow, after work.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6711 on: June 15, 2008, 03:50:22 AM »

Really? Then, I am mistaken. I thought an fdsik cmd could zerofill a disk.

Er, no. It can format a drive, but that's not the same as wiping out everything by entering random data.

I found it. I have the MaxBlast CD.  I gott alll the shitt for thiss hardware, updated it at work today, too.

They have tools to dx and probably low-level format the drive.

... and if I understand, correctly, the info is unique to this particular disk. I have no idea how those determinations are made with the current run of disk technology.

The physical disk is analysed when manufactured, and its imperfections are mapped, I believe. The tools used to do this are VERY different from fdisk, cfdisk, etc, because these are essentially all high-level access mechanisms to manipulate data on disks. For one thing, the manufacturer's tools are usually not in any way bound to a certain file system, be it FAT, NTFS, ext3 or something else. They work more like BIOS tools--they deal with the physical geometry of the disk.

But I'm guessing a bit, too, because I don't have experience in manufacturing disks; instead I know the principles behind hard drives, the BIOS, etc.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6712 on: June 25, 2008, 08:49:24 PM »
Relaxing feeling buzzed

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
« Reply #6713 on: June 27, 2008, 11:22:00 AM »
Trying to unsee image of half-eaten corpse.
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6714 on: June 30, 2008, 05:40:17 AM »
Getting ready to greet the new day with unbridled enthusiasm now where's my fucking coffee

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #6715 on: June 30, 2008, 06:40:19 AM »
 :laugh: Me too.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #6716 on: June 30, 2008, 08:52:15 AM »

I'm ready to trash this install of XP. I will carry out the re-install tomorrow, after work.

What version of XP are you installing? XP RTM, XP SP1, XP SP2, XP SP3

retail, upgrade, oem, VLK?

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6717 on: June 30, 2008, 11:12:13 AM »

What version of XP are you installing? XP RTM, XP SP1, XP SP2, XP SP3

retail, upgrade, oem, VLK?

It was a couple of weeks ago, but I have an OEM install disk from 2003 and I've downloaded the administrators version of SP2. I think it's the exact same SP2 as Windows update used to install, but it is available as a disk image or at least it was when I downloaded it.

I haven't even looked into SP3, yet. Right now, this old machine is working better than it ever has and I am not really interested in the new SP.

The only thing that's bugging me is that Grisoft says they are ending support of the version (7.5, I think it is) of AVG Free anti-virus software I use. I will need to acquire another solution. Apparently, version 8 is no longer available in a free version.

:grrr:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6718 on: June 30, 2008, 02:38:24 PM »
Try Clam AV, available for Windows at www.clamwin.com. I use it for all Windows boxes at home (I'd use it for Linux, too, but there is no virus problem for Linux).

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6719 on: June 30, 2008, 03:29:50 PM »
Try Clam AV, available for Windows at www.clamwin.com. I use it for all Windows boxes at home (I'd use it for Linux, too, but there is no virus problem for Linux).

Yeah, you've mentioned that one before. Thanks, I'll give it a shot.