Educational

Author Topic: What are You doing right now?  (Read 138724 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: What are You doing right now?
« Reply #6690 on: June 12, 2008, 03:04:10 PM »
Try melatonin. Potentially you can get better, if not more, sleep.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #6691 on: June 12, 2008, 03:15:11 PM »
I am reluctant to drug myself anymore atm, the problem is that I tend to be doing something until that time anyway...

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #6692 on: June 12, 2008, 03:21:19 PM »

You say "potentially"  and I think of the voltage that was almost visible at every nerve ending in my body ...

OMFG - it's been about one year, already.
It would be great if my system did not fight off every potentially beneficial substance with such vigor.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6693 on: June 12, 2008, 03:39:30 PM »
Right now, I am double checking to make sure that everything I care about is backed up from this harddrive.

I took Odeon's advice and I intend to replace the problem-prone ATI graphics card with an nVidia card.

This install of Windows XP is only about three months old, but something is seriously wrong and it's not just the corrupt drivers for the vid card. I am also getting occasional, "Disk 0/Master not detected"  or "Disk 0/Master failed to respond to paging operation"  (my system disk designation) and "NTFS not readable"  (WTF?!?) error logs.

I bought a 500GB internal yesterday, also.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 03:41:15 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6694 on: June 12, 2008, 03:41:34 PM »

You say "potentially"  and I think of the voltage that was almost visible at every nerve ending in my body ...

OMFG - it's been about one year, already.
It would be great if my system did not fight off every potentially beneficial substance with such vigor.

Strange, what happened to you. I've not heard of anyone having that reaction to it. It can help more or less (in my case, less, usually), but it doesn't fuck anything up, from what others told me.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6695 on: June 12, 2008, 03:46:16 PM »
Right now, I am double checking to make sure that everything I care about is backed up from this harddrive.

I took Odeon's advice and I intend to replace the problem-prone ATI graphics card with an nVidia card.

Get a 9xxx card. I'm running a 9600GT now and it's terrific. I didn't dare to go for a 9800 since the Linux drivers just updated to include the 9600. 98 would have been dodgy.

This install of Windows XP is only about three months old, but something is seriously wrong and it's not just the corrupt drivers for the vid card. I am also getting occasional, "Disk 0/Master not detected"  or "Disk 0/Master failed to respond to paging operation"  (my system disk designation) and "NTFS not readable"  (WTF?!?) error logs.

Was the drive new when you installed Windows XP? Did you format it? It sounds like an older NTFS was on it, and the MBR wasn't updated properly.

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6696 on: June 12, 2008, 03:53:12 PM »

Get a 9xxx card. I'm running a 9600GT now and it's terrific. I didn't dare to go for a 9800 since the Linux drivers just updated to include the 9600. 98 would have been dodgy.

Was the drive new when you installed Windows XP? Did you format it? It sounds like an older NTFS was on it, and the MBR wasn't updated properly.

It wasn't a new drive, but I did format it. The first time I installed WinXP on this particular Maxtor drive, there was a tiny ten or twelve KB partition on it from the factory and I removed it before I formatted the drive for the first time. No problems with that install - it worked OK for over a year. I am fairly sure that this drive is beginning to fail.

:bigcry:

Oh, I forgot to mention ...

I have already bought the nVidia GeForce 8800 GS. I looked around and it seemed a good "bang for the buck" alternative to "The Best" at sixty four bucks for a 512MB model.

I'll let those with fat pockets buy the "best" while I slink around with a compromise. This box is just for the net. If I bought the crossfire, quad processor models, I would put it on my graphics box, anyway and the kewliisssh operating system to make it dance would have to be scammed somehow. (I have one but I don't have a box to put it in)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 04:45:21 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6697 on: June 12, 2008, 04:00:33 PM »
Well, that's the other option. Did you run chkdsk on it?

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6698 on: June 12, 2008, 04:50:56 PM »

I was just on WIKI last night, two-ish, compiling a CD for work and I suffered two session ending crashes. Thankk the fuck gawds that my start-up routine at that moment included chkdsk.

I probably would not be posting, otherwise.

Not sure what happened, but I heard my HDD seeker re-perch and all went vertical stripes and quasi-Sierpinski looking mouse cursor. I suspected the card again, but the cursor was a give-away that it was not that this time.

I shut it all down, fourish, and ran a ""complete"" chkdsk on start up. It took six-plus hours! It was not quite done when I got home from the "meeting"
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 04:54:21 PM by DirtDawg »

ozymandias

« Reply #6699 on: June 12, 2008, 05:45:51 PM »

Keep me posted as to when you need more!

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6700 on: June 13, 2008, 03:17:52 PM »

I was just on WIKI last night, two-ish, compiling a CD for work and I suffered two session ending crashes. Thankk the fuck gawds that my start-up routine at that moment included chkdsk.

Not sure what happened, but I heard my HDD seeker re-perch and all went vertical stripes and quasi-Sierpinski looking mouse cursor. I suspected the card again, but the cursor was a give-away that it was not that this time.

I shut it all down, fourish, and ran a ""complete"" chkdsk on start up. It took six-plus hours! It was not quite done when I got home from the "meeting"

You will probably need to do a low-level format on that disk. An ordinary format won't help you with the MBR.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6701 on: June 13, 2008, 03:18:16 PM »

Keep me posted as to when you need more!

Will do.  :thumbup:

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6702 on: June 13, 2008, 07:07:40 PM »
Posting and watching a show called Connecticut Haunting and trying to figure out where it is
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

ozymandias

« Reply #6703 on: June 13, 2008, 07:51:02 PM »
Posting and watching a show called Connecticut Haunting and trying to figure out where it is

Some gasoline and a match will lay that haunting to rest! :evillaugh:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6704 on: June 13, 2008, 09:23:02 PM »

You will probably need to do a low-level format on that disk. An ordinary format won't help you with the MBR.

Are you talking about a "zero-fill" type of format, where the drive writes over and reads every address, sector, etc? If I can recall, there is a command switch in DOS that does this, too, but I haven't used DOS in so long I would need to freshen my memory of which command switches to use.

I know there are troubleshooting utilities available that perform this type of formatting and initiation. I may still have the one that came with this drive, somewhere. MaxBlaster or something like that, I think it's called.

... or are you talking about a way to flash the ROM where the drive's construction and "bad sector" error record info is kept inside the hardware. I don't know how to do that.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 09:29:56 PM by DirtDawg »