Educational

Author Topic: What are You doing right now?  (Read 138739 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: What are You doing right now?
« Reply #4815 on: November 28, 2007, 02:33:00 PM »
I registered it for it in previous years and never found time to actually take part. Feel free to tell me if I miss anything interesting though (although the name gwynfryn still raises my blood pressure).

Having a break before going to the attic to carry on tidying spud's bedroom.

This never actually happened.  :-[ I went into the bedroom on the way up and put PI's laptop on to give it a spring clean while she's away, it'll be nice for her to come back to a computer that works at a usable speed again - and settled down for a rest while diskeeper was working on her mangled hard drive. Don't know where my energy went. Gonna sort out some clean washing and put it away after tea instead and finish spud's room in the morning - I is too tired to do it after trailing around with my gran all day.  :yawn:

Sorry, didn't mean to raise your blood pressure.  I won't mention him here again.   :plus:   But, I do correspond with him occasionally. like I do with HG.   I don't agree with him on many points and the AWARES conference the last time I went there was NOT something I found interesting.  I only went because "he" piqued my interest.    Obviously I have never clashed with him like so many others have.  And don't worry, I don't plan on bringing this place to his attention.

No, bring the know-it-all motherfucker here -- I could do with a laugh.

Sorry P, but, I suggest you talk with Dunc first before saying that.  Of course, I'm assuming that your observations/contacts with Gwyn have been minimal to none.  If I'm wrong, I stand corrected and will consider it.

I've never heard of this individual, before this thread.

S/He/it sounds like someone I would be bored with from the start.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4816 on: November 28, 2007, 02:38:49 PM »
Doesn't sound like someone I could be bothered with, right now.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

ozymandias

« Reply #4817 on: November 28, 2007, 03:28:15 PM »
I registered it for it in previous years and never found time to actually take part. Feel free to tell me if I miss anything interesting though (although the name gwynfryn still raises my blood pressure).

This never actually happened.  :-[ I went into the bedroom on the way up and put PI's laptop on to give it a spring clean while she's away, it'll be nice for her to come back to a computer that works at a usable speed again - and settled down for a rest while diskeeper was working on her mangled hard drive. Don't know where my energy went. Gonna sort out some clean washing and put it away after tea instead and finish spud's room in the morning - I is too tired to do it after trailing around with my gran all day.  :yawn:

Sorry, didn't mean to raise your blood pressure.  I won't mention him here again.   :plus:   But, I do correspond with him occasionally. like I do with HG.   I don't agree with him on many points and the AWARES conference the last time I went there was NOT something I found interesting.  I only went because "he" piqued my interest.    Obviously I have never clashed with him like so many others have.  And don't worry, I don't plan on bringing this place to his attention.

Sorry P, but, I suggest you talk with Dunc first before saying that.  Of course, I'm assuming that your observations/contacts with Gwyn have been minimal to none.  If I'm wrong, I stand corrected and will consider it.

He, actually.  Lets just say, he takes this AS/Autism advocacy thing WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY seriously.  He's registered on Fractalus if you want to peruse a sample of his postings.  There's not many, but, it will give you some idea of where he's coming from.  His user name "Gwynfryn" is his real name and he's registered on every forum as that name.

If Dunc, said invite him, I would do so in a heartbeat.  But, I agree, you would be bored with him and he would be bored with us very quickly.  Look at "Phuc Yu", it seems he has become bored with us and left awhile ago. ::)

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4818 on: November 28, 2007, 04:29:25 PM »
Clock watching till it's time to go to my son IEP

How did it go, Parts?

Very good they are going to try and get my son back in district for one class in the morning then back to his usual school which is what he wanted and we think it's good to start slow everybody agreed it was strange

You should start a thread in the "members only"  forum and update us or maybe not.

I have our bi-annual case conference on Friday. I had the day off, but I worked extra hours this week, so I could take tommorrow off, as well. We plan to insist that our daughter is tested by a professional for dyslexia or else!. The schoool will pay if we press, but otherwise they maty let her slip through the cracks, as my wife did.

My wife was in collage when someone FINALLY recognized that she was dyslexic. I know my daughter is dyslexic, but I have had no luck getting extra services for her education. She needs some special care at this point in her education and all of our suggestions have been met with patronising KUDOS from all her teachers, telling us how smart she is.. It doesn't amtter that she is the best reader in the class, GOD DAMNIT!! She is struggling..

We have a certain set of legal rights to have our children educated by the stste and to have their needs met on a personal basis.
I have prepared a formal legal sounding letter to present to the board and if they don't start taking over, then we will have to get other help, outside their control. If it turns out that I am right(which I AMM!!) the school will foot all the bills, including private testing and tutoring. We have this right, according to the papers we have signed at every case conference we have atttended.

Anyway, enough about us.

I hope yours goes well!

This is a very stressful time for a parent.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 04:34:22 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4819 on: November 28, 2007, 04:34:15 PM »

How did it go, Parts?

Very good they are going to try and get my son back in district for one class in the morning then back to his usual school which is what he wanted and we think it's good to start slow everybody agreed it was strange

You should start a thread in the "members only"  forum and update us or maybe not.

I have our bi-annual case conference on Friday. I had the day off, but I worked extra hours this week, so I could take tommorrow off, as well. We plan to insist that our daughter is tested by a professional for dyslexia or else!. The schoool will pay if we press, but otherwise they maty let her slip through the cracks, as my wife did.

My wife was in collage when someone FINALLY recognized that she was dyslexic. I know my daughter is dyslexic, but I have had no luck getting extra services for her education. She needs some special care at this point in her education and all of our suggestions have been met with patronising KUDOS from all her teachers. It doesn't amtter that she is the best reader in the class, GOD DAMNIT!! She is struggling..

We have a certain set of legal rights to have our children educated by the stste and to have their needs met on a personal basis.
I have prepared a formal legal sounding letter to present to the board and if they don't start taking over, then we will have to get other help, outside their control. If it turns out that I am right(which I AMM!!) the school will foot all the bills, including private testing and tutoring. We have this right, according to the papers we have signed at every case conference we have atttended.

Anyway, enough about us.

I hope yours goes well!

I'll start one in the "Forum for people with actual problems they want to talk about" that is members only. We have been though a lot with all these things and might have so ideas to help
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
« Reply #4820 on: November 28, 2007, 04:34:57 PM »
Trying to get Cuntry Boner out of my head.
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4821 on: November 28, 2007, 04:40:36 PM »
Not a lot. :-\
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4822 on: November 28, 2007, 04:45:30 PM »

How did it go, Parts?

My wife was in collage when someone FINALLY recognized that she was dyslexic. I know my daughter is dyslexic, but I have had no luck getting extra services for her education. She needs some special care at this point in her education and all of our suggestions have been met with patronising KUDOS from all her teachers. It doesn't amtter that she is the best reader in the class, GOD DAMNIT!! She is struggling..

Anyway, enough about us.

I hope yours goes well!

I'll start one in the "Forum for people with actual problems they want to talk about" that is members only. We have been though a lot with all these things and might have so ideas to help

I don't know how we could actually help each other, but just knowing thaat we are not alone is quite an uplifting thing to know. Fraternity is a power.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4823 on: November 28, 2007, 05:30:06 PM »

How did it go, Parts?

Anyway, enough about us.

I hope yours goes well!

I don't know how we could actually help each other, but just knowing thaat we are not alone is quite an uplifting thing to know. Fraternity is a power.
Some of the laws are federal and many states have similar laws
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4824 on: November 28, 2007, 06:12:33 PM »

He, actually.  Lets just say, he takes this AS/Autism advocacy thing WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY seriously.  He's registered on Fractalus if you want to peruse a sample of his postings.  There's not many, but, it will give you some idea of where he's coming from.  His user name "Gwynfryn" is his real name and he's registered on every forum as that name.

If Dunc, said invite him, I would do so in a heartbeat.  But, I agree, you would be bored with him and he would be bored with us very quickly.  Look at "Phuc Yu", it seems he has become bored with us and left awhile ago. ::)

Look at who?

... OH!

That's the point, right?

ozymandias

« Reply #4825 on: November 28, 2007, 06:26:07 PM »
I can't even remember what point I was trying to make. :yawn:  Too fucking tired and stressed to think atm.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4826 on: November 28, 2007, 06:27:57 PM »

How did it go, Parts?

Anyway, enough about us.

I hope yours goes well!

Some of the laws are federal and many states have similar laws

Yep.
We are using our interpretation of the federal law (which they have given us copies of at the beginning of EVERY meeting), as a way to try to get more services for my daughter.

Our problem is that she is very "lightly" autistic and somewhat of a genius, so all the focus has been on how well she is coping with autism. She is fine with that, but she is having trouble with letters, numbers and pictures turning around on her, plus she talks backwards - always has. She does not suffer much from sensory difficulties, either, other than a deficiency in touch like me.

I just want a re-assessment, based on her potential, not on her successes. Of course she does her best to compensate for her difficulties, but she could be doing so much more with a little attention to her most urgent needs. I'm not the teaching specialist! I can only help her so much. I need someone to recognize that she can be, not just at the top of her class, but at the top of her national peer group, (like her brother) if only we could teach her better ways to compensate for her dyslexia.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4827 on: November 28, 2007, 06:31:15 PM »
I can't even remember what point I was trying to make. :yawn:  Too fucking tired and stressed to think atm.

Understandable.

I just got that some are considering inviting a person to this site who would not be a common taste.

Hold the anchovies for some, please.

... wait a minute.

Are we planning to invite him as chum. Chumming the waters might be fun.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4828 on: November 29, 2007, 01:43:31 AM »
I don't mind if we invite him or not, but others might.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #4829 on: November 29, 2007, 09:16:22 AM »
Installing some new software that is bloated with visual enhancements and no real substantial feature improvements over the previous edition.   Unfortunately we have to use it to support our clients that buy the latest edition of the software themselves.
:P   Internets are super serious.