Educational

Author Topic: Ask ME! (Esme) anything and I (unlike others on here) WILL answer  (Read 22351 times)

Offline esme456

• Incessant Poster
Re: Ask ME! (Esme) anything and I (unlike others on here) WILL answer
« Reply #270 on: September 01, 2006, 11:17:35 AM »
I think it's OK for it just to be British etc as well

It just gets too large and anonymous when it's for everyone
and I think there is also a language barrier between us and America
- a lot of what I read on predominantly American sites just goes over my head
- I can't relate to it

Of course there's an easy way round it - you just pretend to be English and hope
your 'Americanisms' or references to Robert, Ascan etc don't give you away lol

Nessa   :)

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
« Reply #271 on: September 01, 2006, 11:25:30 AM »
i have been banned from aspie villiage.  it could just be that i am not from the UK.  i made thre total posts and not one of them were offensive.

It was probably because you're not from the UK or Ireland. It's specifically mentioned in their TOS.

Niiiiiice.

Whats wrong with that?   Its just so we can have one site which helps British aspies with their issues and things like benefits , housing , employment issues ,in the uk ,  considering that all the other sites are overwhelmingly  American.  Do you find that offensive?

Not offensive just annoying. I go to a lot of different sites and the ones that are exclusive to only a few countries miss out on information. On international sites people from other countries give advice about medicines or therapy that are unknown in others.
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #272 on: September 01, 2006, 11:29:06 AM »
I was dx'd by Prof. Christopher Gillberg's team. I believe there are very few teams more experienced in AS/ADD/autism in these parts of the world. I'm also a member of the evil Aspie Ruling EliteTM.

And I'm neither American, nor British.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline esme456

• Incessant Poster
« Reply #273 on: September 01, 2006, 11:30:57 AM »
evil Aspie Ruling EliteTM. - what is this?

And if not American/British, pray tell, what am you?

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #274 on: September 01, 2006, 11:33:12 AM »
i have been banned from aspie villiage.  it could just be that i am not from the UK.  i made thre total posts and not one of them were offensive.

It was probably because you're not from the UK or Ireland. It's specifically mentioned in their TOS.

Niiiiiice.

Whats wrong with that?   Its just so we can have one site which helps British aspies with their issues and things like benefits , housing , employment issues ,in the uk ,  considering that all the other sites are overwhelmingly  American.  Do you find that offensive?

i completely agree with you.  that is why i was honest about where i reside.  my purpose was to get some problem solving discussion going, rather than the mudslinging.

we are all in the same boat.  kinda like labour.  there are different locals in a union, but they all have the same purpose, the advancement of labor in the face of the tyranny of the oppressive employer.
AS people are in need of a little unification, IMHO, i am beginning to become depressed with esmy's insinuations about our NT behaviour.  it is really counter-productive.  i have no problem with her differences to me, or mine and hers handling of situations.  i do have a problem with the divisive talk.

i have no problem with an AS board that wants to promote unity through ethnocentricity, its a good idea.  But, at the end of the day we all need to realize that what is best for you, me, us, or any person with ASD, is best for the group.
i would like to solve this notion of bullying each other.  i do not think it is going to happen unless we come to understandings about our differences on the spectrum.  and we learn to accept others as different yet the same.  and this non productive (same action as those you are accusing) has got to stop.  
the hypocricy of it all.
dammit.
i
Misunderstood.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #275 on: September 01, 2006, 11:35:11 AM »

The secret "in-crowd" of Aspies, according to Ascan. If you have the time, you can read more about it just about everywhere, from WP to OTS to your Aspie Village. He was a member here but deleted his posts.

I'm Swedish, and live outside Göteborg on the West Coast. I was born in Finland, however, and consider myself Finnish as well.

Oh, and I don't have anything against Americans or Brits, barring Bush & Blair.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

duncvis

« Reply #276 on: September 01, 2006, 11:36:43 AM »

ask ascan (who rightfully owns the trademark, since he coined the phrase), if the Aspie Village terms of service will allow. apparently, we are a shadowy, evil, power-crazed elite who seek power on aspie message boards in order to persecute *people like ascan*  ;D

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #277 on: September 01, 2006, 11:37:55 AM »

Niiiiiice.

i completely agree with you.  that is why i was honest about where i reside.  my purpose was to get some problem solving discussion going, rather than the mudslinging.

we are all in the same boat.  kinda like labour.  there are different locals in a union, but they all have the same purpose, the advancement of labor in the face of the tyranny of the oppressive employer.
AS people are in need of a little unification, IMHO, i am beginning to become depressed with esmy's insinuations about our NT behaviour.  it is really counter-productive.  i have no problem with her differences to me, or mine and hers handling of situations.  i do have a problem with the divisive talk.

i have no problem with an AS board that wants to promote unity through ethnocentricity, its a good idea.  But, at the end of the day we all need to realize that what is best for you, me, us, or any person with ASD, is best for the group.
i would like to solve this notion of bullying each other.  i do not think it is going to happen unless we come to understandings about our differences on the spectrum.  and we learn to accept others as different yet the same.  and this non productive (same action as those you are accusing) has got to stop. 
the hypocricy of it all.
dammit.
i

Claiming people just don't behave aspie enough has been a put down for a long time and unfortunately I can't see it stopping anytime soon- its an easy way for people to put down those whose behaviour they don't approve of, and lets face it, people quiet often go for the easy put down.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #278 on: September 01, 2006, 11:39:15 AM »
Dunc, this has me worried. Is there a copyright fee of some kind since Ascan owns that trademark...  :-\

- Albert Einstein

Offline esme456

• Incessant Poster
« Reply #279 on: September 01, 2006, 11:39:36 AM »
I think this all has a lot to do with my AS 'black & white' thinking -

I like to categorise people as 'good' or 'bad ' so for a person in a sort of bad category
to be talking about harmony etc seems just plain odd to me - you're in the bad category
- you're meant to sneer at such 'soft' concepts!

I feel you want your cake & to eat it ie when you want to be 'soft' and nice about things,
you want that liberty and yet you feel no compunction about going for the jugular of more innocent types
as the fancy takes you - there's a distinct lack of consistency and people are likely to doubt your sincereity
with the mixed message that's being given

Nessa

duncvis

« Reply #280 on: September 01, 2006, 11:42:49 AM »
people aren't black and white though. your fallacious reasoning is not our problem.

Offline esme456

• Incessant Poster
« Reply #281 on: September 01, 2006, 11:43:55 AM »
Finland interests me a lot - it's one of those places you never really get to find out much about

Is it Scandanavian or Russian?

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #282 on: September 01, 2006, 11:44:17 AM »
I think this all has a lot to do with my AS 'black & white' thinking -

I like to categorise people as 'good' or 'bad ' so for a person in a sort of bad category
to be talking about harmony etc seems just plain odd to me - you're in the bad category
- you're meant to sneer at such 'soft' concepts!

I feel you want your cake & to eat it ie when you want to be 'soft' and nice about things,
you want that liberty and yet you feel no compunction about going for the jugular of more innocent types
as the fancy takes you - there's a distinct lack of consistency and people are likely to doubt your sincereity
with the mixed message that's being given

Nessa

I think the problem has been striking a balance between not censoring people and having people held accountable for their words, and protecting more vulnerable members. Its hard to protect the rights of all- how do you protect a 'vulnerable' member whilst still allowing others to make them accountable for their words??   Should we have a category of members who can say what they like without people objecting simply because some may consider them to be more vulnerable than others?

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #283 on: September 01, 2006, 11:47:28 AM »
Nessa, who are you talking to?

If you're talking about McJ, though, you should know that he is quite consistent. He does not conform to a preconceived notion--anyone's preconceived notion--but he is consistent in what he does and says, and I luuurve him for that.

I think the problem is in you, if he (or anyone else, for that matter) doesn't fit into the categories you've set up.

I learned a long time ago not to easily categorise anyone even though it's the only way for me to understand people at all. Without the stereotypes, I don't understand anyone. Which is why I don't flame you now, in spite of the troll(-ish) behaviour you started out with here.

You're worth reading, it seems now.

- Albert Einstein

duncvis

« Reply #284 on: September 01, 2006, 11:49:47 AM »
Dunc, this has me worried. Is there a copyright fee of some kind since Ascan owns that trademark...  :-\

better check the exact wording then, and see if his tradmark is valid in the US.  :angel: