Educational

Author Topic: Happy Cowards' day!  (Read 242 times)

TheoK

Happy Cowards' day!
« on: June 06, 2009, 03:22:09 AM »
Today it's Sweden's National Day, the Day of the Swedish Flag and also the 200 year anniversary of the revolution and the new constitution of 1809.

On February 21th 1808 Russian troops crossed the Swedish-Russian border at Kymmene River in today's southern Finland. Despite a BRAVE defense and courage among the troops, the Swedish High Command ordered the troops to retreat towards the north. The fortresses Sveaborg and Svartholm soon capitulated to the Russians and in December 1808 Finland was totally occupied by Russia.

In the spring of 1809 the Russians crossed the demarcation line at the Kemi River, and at the same time sent troops over the Baltic, to attack Sweden Proper. Some Russian troops were fooled to retreat just some tens of kilometers north of Stockholm. When it had gone this far, some high officers and aristocrats made a coup and dethroned the King, Gustav IV Adolf. A new constituition was ratified and promulgated on the 6th of June, though Finland and parts of Sweden Proper were lost forever in September through the peace treaty with Russia.

So, happy Cowards' day!  :thumbdn:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 03:29:24 AM by TheoK »

P7PSP

Re: Happy Cowards' day!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 03:28:16 AM »
At least someone stood up and dethroned the King. Did they execute him? That seems like the right thing to do when you overthrow a ruler.

TheoK

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 03:32:03 AM »
At least someone stood up and dethroned the King. Did they execute him? That seems like the right thing to do when you overthrow a ruler.

Haha, no, they kept him and the Royal family "prisoners" in a castle outside Stockholm and then sent them abroad. The King lived as "Colonel Gustavsson" the rest of his life and died in an inn in Switzerland in 1837. Thousands of Swedes and Finns died in the hopeless war against Russia.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 03:33:45 AM by TheoK »

P7PSP

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 03:40:16 AM »
One thing I really like about the French is they did a fine job of holding Royalty accountable. When I read A Tale of Two Cities I admired the DeFarges for standing up for what is right. Hoe the fuck were they supposed to know that the Darnay was not like his evil uncles? Sidney Carton going to the nth fucking degree at the end!

TheoK

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 03:43:05 AM »
One thing I really like about the French is they did a fine job of holding Royalty accountable. When I read A Tale of Two Cities I admired the DeFarges for standing up for what is right. Hoe the fuck were they supposed to know that the Darnay was not like his evil uncles? Sidney Carton going to the nth fucking degree at the end!

An officer killed Gustav IV:s father, however. He started another lost war with Russia in 1788. The officer was executed, of course.

P7PSP

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 04:48:39 PM »

An officer killed Gustav IV:s father, however. He started another lost war with Russia in 1788. The officer was executed, of course.
That Officer was BRAVE!

TheoK

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 11:10:52 PM »
Yup. Here he is: Captain Anckarström:

And here are his mask, guns and knives:

P7PSP

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 01:33:33 AM »
 :plus: Captain Ankarstrom.

TheoK

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 01:42:47 AM »
 :agreed:

Offline Dexter Morgan

• Karma Policeman of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 10:19:19 PM »
I can think of another reason Lit doesn't like June 6.