0 (0%)
France
0 (0%)
Luxembourg
0 (0%)
Austria
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Where do you want to live?  (Read 1960 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Where do you want to live?
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2020, 11:40:19 PM »
When Brits say they want to live somewhere warm, do they mean somewhere like Bali? Or do they mean somewhere like Cornwall? Or do they mean somewhere like Spain or Greece? I'm guessing somewhere like Spain or Greece.

Similar with Swedes, when they say they want to live somewhere warm do they mean Southern Europe kind of warm? Florida kind of warm? Southern California kind of warm?

Warmer than here. I'd not want something like Washington DC in August, though. Southern Europe sounds good to me.

It's the kind of thing we tend to say in October and November, when it's cold and wet and miserable.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2020, 02:50:49 AM »
Yes, we get Doctor Martin in Oz.

I've been to Cornwall 3 times, when I lived in the UK in '98/'99, and the weather was very pleasant. I recall meeting a lot of people who had relocated from the North or the Midlands and had set up small businesses in Cornwall. By most standards it isn't exactly warm, just wondering if that's what Brits think of as moving to a "warmer" climate.

Nope., surely not, i've never  heard anyone say that Cornwall is any warmer, just more pleasant in other ways (much less populous, for instance. That's the biggest draw, I think. You'd have to go a long way  North, where it's cold, to find affordable housing in a similarly rustic setting. Or else across to Wales where most everybody hates you, if you're English)    though most of my own visits to cornwall have been off-season , come to think. so i've  got a different picture from your avarage holidaymaker.  In Port Wenn, by contrast,  it's always  high Summer, Ive  noticed' and it never rains.  I think that  the TV crew  must be very, very  picky as to when they shoot  :LOL:. My impression of  of Cornish weather from own experience , and reports from a (now deceased) relative who lived down there is that it seems a lot more turbulent and menacing, overall  than the weather in the Midlands and the rest of the South. I'm not grumbling about that, mind, seems entirely appropriate for a land so steeeped in mythology .

There's a tiny willage called "Minions" in the middle of Bodmin Moor in Cornwall.  I have driven to this place to take a look three times while staying n Cronwall and each time the mist has been so bad I could only see 30 feet in front of the car at best.  So after three attempts I still haven't "seen" Minions.

This is the last time I tried to take a look.

Is this a wind-up?
Love it,  in any case  :plus:.  and will definitely look it up on Google Maps later.

Meantime., I'll tell you what that pic reminded me of.  It was that drive back home from Cornwall when i persuaded my partner (the driver of the pair of us. I can't drive to save my life)  to take the scenic route through Dartmoor. That was definitely one of my very best ideas for a diversion (and most of them turned out really well) . The deeper we got into Dartmoor, the more densely the mist gathered in , until visibility was even less than shown in your picture.  And then, quite suddenly (whilst we were stopped  for a bit) a bunch of Dartmoor ponies appeared  out of the mist , and I whisked out the camera got a really spooky -looking double exposure of them. It was utterly magical,  much better than your poxy little rock  :P

That picture was taken as we were driving back from Minions as the fog had cleared a little, and is looking south from King Doniert's Stone.
Ever got that feeling that you're trying to teach a dog a card trick?

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2020, 05:06:10 PM »
I guess I don't care where I live, as long as I have Sugarbutt, but I like it here. Just the other day the girl was telling me it's getting cold. I said, well it's sunny and warm here.  :zoinks:
I love doing that.  :lol1:
:gopher:

Offline Lord of the Ales

• Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Will work for beer
    • Last.fm thingy
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2020, 06:14:21 AM »
I can't see me permanently leaving Yorkshire. Wales and Scotland are gorgeous, and the Nordic countries and New Zealand are appealing - I hate warm weather in more than small doses. I want space, rain and mountains. I'll settle for having plenty of rain, being in the Pennines an hour's drive from 'proper' mountains, and space is always going to be out of my budget I reckon. On the upside my town is cheap as, the curries are great, and we have proper fibre broadband. And for those wanting civilisation Leeds is less than 20 miles away. So can't complain too much.
arsebiscuits!

Retired despot, landlord and shitstirrer :deadhorse:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2020, 11:02:04 AM »
Civilisation is overrated. :M
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2020, 12:32:42 AM »
I spent a summer in Washington DC. Yes, it's too hot. And it's that baking heat. Different to tropical heat and different to desert heat.

Summers in Adelaide are even worse than that. And in Adelaide it'll be 45 one day and 17 the next.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2020, 03:16:38 AM »
Adelaide in summer doesn't sound like a place I'd want to visit.

I'll just stay here for now. :P

- Albert Einstein

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2020, 11:33:48 AM »
I spent a summer in Washington DC. Yes, it's too hot. And it's that baking heat. Different to tropical heat and different to desert heat.

Summers in Adelaide are even worse than that. And in Adelaide it'll be 45 one day and 17 the next.

My sister drove up to Darwin with a caravan for most of the Winter.
Ever got that feeling that you're trying to teach a dog a card trick?

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2020, 03:52:49 PM »
Can I just move my house for a while if it gets too cold and dark? :P

- Albert Einstein

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2020, 04:10:42 PM »

My sister drove up to Darwin with a caravan for most of the Winter.

Winter in Darwin is warm and dry, daytime temperatures around 25.

In the lead up to the rainy season they start going a bit crazy from the heat. It's called "mango madness". That's the worst time of year usually in the tropics.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Jesse

• My mirror shows black (Otherwise known as nigger)
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • where mountains throne
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2023, 03:48:55 PM »
I'm going back to Mt. Shasta

Thats my place  :santa:
:skywarp:

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2023, 09:18:14 PM »

Where's that, Jesse?

Every summer I think of moving to Tasmania.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2023, 02:03:53 PM »
If I had the resources I would live overseas... but all my mental health needs and other necessities are where I am at.

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2023, 06:20:56 AM »

Where's that, Jesse?

Every summer I think of moving to Tasmania.

I wanna move to the snowies! Cooma for me. Jindabyne hits the spot but 80% of the town is ski season holiday rentals.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2023, 02:30:55 PM »
Here's still OK.

- Albert Einstein