Educational

Author Topic: Moving to Montreal  (Read 1008 times)

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: Moving to Montreal
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2015, 09:10:59 AM »
They did test her - but when she came up zero they said that it was DTs or that she was withdrawing.
It's a good example of flawed hypothesis testing - they had a hypothesis but only wanted to confirm it so they were only looking for evidence in that direction.
The fatal flaw of my life is that I always ask the question "What if?" which in all my crisis cases was, "What if the client is telling the truth?"

I've been that way since childhood and reading Oliver Sacks (who in person looks totally autistic) convinced me that I should always hear the other person's truth no matter how bizarre. It gave me some great adventures, many of which happened in downtown Northampton.

I had another client who was psychotic and the staff on the psych unit knew her as a substance abuser - they wouldn't even come down to look at her but somehow I convinced them. She was going on about how she had to leave, she had to get to the library because she was about to have a baby, and it was an emergency, she couldn't have it in the hospital, it had to be the library. They took one look at her labs (not a thing in her system) and admitted her.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2015, 10:23:29 AM »
They did test her - but when she came up zero they said that it was DTs or that she was withdrawing.
It's a good example of flawed hypothesis testing - they had a hypothesis but only wanted to confirm it so they were only looking for evidence in that direction.
The fatal flaw of my life is that I always ask the question "What if?" which in all my crisis cases was, "What if the client is telling the truth?"

I've been that way since childhood and reading Oliver Sacks (who in person looks totally autistic) convinced me that I should always hear the other person's truth no matter how bizarre. It gave me some great adventures, many of which happened in downtown Northampton.

I had another client who was psychotic and the staff on the psych unit knew her as a substance abuser - they wouldn't even come down to look at her but somehow I convinced them. She was going on about how she had to leave, she had to get to the library because she was about to have a baby, and it was an emergency, she couldn't have it in the hospital, it had to be the library. They took one look at her labs (not a thing in her system) and admitted her.

One of the best questions there is.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2015, 08:53:23 PM »
I guess the best thing to do is laugh.

Sent an email to their corporate office and a day later (one day before their self imposed deadline of "less than a week") I get an email from some kind of assistant manager who tells me that he got the bike from another store (what would they have told me this time since they never ordered the bike??) but that it was ready to be picked up and for my trouble they are giving me a $35 gift card.
So today I pick it up and they aren't sure that I am me (sigh). The gift card turns out to be a note written by the manager in French that says it's only good at their store for $25, not $35. It's written and signed by another manager.
By the time I got home there was an ominous clacking noise from one side of the bike - it's either the pedal or the crank. It might be under warranty, but nonetheless I will do  the repair myself.  The last thing I want to do is leave my bike there.

It's one more thing off the list.
We still have to find a primary care doc, a dentist and do the immigration stuff.
And trap the very bold mouse that's behind my bookcase again.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2015, 02:07:23 PM »
Priority mail in Canada means that it gets from the US to the Canadian border in two days and another four days to a week to arrive here.

In related news, apparently if you buy something from Amazon Canada, you might get a mysterious looking package in the mail that's been relabeled several times and looks like it might contain a bomb. Inside, the invoice says nothing about Amazon, just has the seller's address.
Not to mention that they have me under two email addys (I only gave them one) such that my purchase shows up if I click "track package" but not if I click on "my orders," which defaults to the original address I gave them.

It's no wonder the Canadian dollar is worth so little - 75 cents against the US dollar.

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2015, 02:43:16 PM »
Priority mail in Canada means that it gets from the US to the Canadian border in two days and another four days to a week to arrive here.

In related news, apparently if you buy something from Amazon Canada, you might get a mysterious looking package in the mail that's been relabeled several times and looks like it might contain a bomb. Inside, the invoice says nothing about Amazon, just has the seller's address.
Not to mention that they have me under two email addys (I only gave them one) such that my purchase shows up if I click "track package" but not if I click on "my orders," which defaults to the original address I gave them.

It's no wonder the Canadian dollar is worth so little - 75 cents against the US dollar.

Is that really the going rate atm?   If so, our next trip to Alberta is going to be very soon!!!!!!
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2015, 03:35:18 PM »
That's the online rate; it's down from this morning's high of 1.31777. 1.311103 right now. The currency exchange at the bank is giving $1.28 CDN and selling at $1.34 for USD. I'm hoping it will hold up until later this month when I can deposit a big check in US funds.

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2016, 08:33:14 AM »
So when my work permit was declined on the basis of us not having submitted a permanent resident application, Py's job ordered up a lawyer to help. About 3 weeks ago she sent an inquiry to them which probably went something like this:

Lawyer: these folks sent in a permanent resident application and sent you proof of same. Could you explain why that was used as a basis for denial? I'm sure this is an error that is easily remedied.

And this probably is what happened over at the office, which is in a different part of the country than the immigration/permanent resident office and probably never called them or heard from them:

Supervisor to clerk: Hey, can you check this application that you denied on March 21? There's a lawyer saying we made a mistake and I want to be sure of it before I send her any materials.
Clerk: Oh, crap! We forgot to issue them a refund! (see below for another possibility)
Supervisor: No worries, just process the refund and send them a back dated letter - they'll think the original got lost in their spam or something.
Clerk (thinking): O.K., back date the letter, that means it has to be before the 21st, guess I'll make it - not March 7, they'll be suspicious of that. I'll make it March 8!

So we get a letter saying that a refund has been requested and will be sent to the person who paid the application fee.
Py did not receive anything, nor did I, at any time in the past couple of months.

I misread the letter and suffered an hour of stress until Py looked at the date.

So now they have compounded the error. I am hoping that the other possible reason for back dating the letter is the actual truth: that they called over to the other office, where the clerk said, "Oh, yeah, we opened it but we haven't processed it yet. It has a date stamp of March 9th"

Clerk to supervisor: Oh crap, we should have checked!
Supervisor: No worries. Just find some correspondence we could have sent them and date it March 8th. That way we can be telling the truth when we said there was no application.
Clerk: Hm, what can I send them - oh, I know! The refund letter - they will think that they heard from us and asked for a refund!

If the immigration office told the work permit office that the application was in queue for the "we are processing your application" letter, they may also be hoping that we will get it and drop the whole thing, since one of the reasons for getting the work permit is to get the national health insurance. They don't realize I want both. If they process a refund, we will have to start from square one and that would give immigration 4 months to send us the "we are processing your application" letter.

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2016, 08:59:12 PM »
Did they say they were sorry?  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2016, 09:32:40 PM »
Of course not. :sheep:
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.