Author Topic: MOUSE!  (Read 2308 times)

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: MOUSE!
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2006, 11:03:16 AM »
In some parts of this country, mice carry Hantavirus, which can be fatal even to otherwise healthy people.  In Europe rat fleas carried Bubonic Plague which killed 90% of the people who caught it and wiped out a significant fraction of the world's population in the fourteenth century, so there is a very good evolutionary reason people fear having wild rodents in their homes.

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2006, 12:22:05 PM »
If its stuck in the glue trap there's nowt you can do at this point other than put the fecker out of its misery, you'll never get the bugger out. One word: lumphammer.

That is the truth. When we first moved into our house, the basement was unfinished, and rats were getting into the house through that room. My parents set up glue traps. I was curious, and peeked into one of the traps and sure enough a mouse was already stuck. I felt so horrible. It was small and trying desperately to get free. I grabbed a butterknife and used the end to try to loosen it. I didn't work and I cried. I'm happy that there are more humane traps available today.
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law

Hypnotica_Gaze

« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2006, 07:29:22 PM »
I agree with Lucifers last statement.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2006, 09:44:44 PM »
In some parts of this country, mice carry Hantavirus, which can be fatal even to otherwise healthy people.  In Europe rat fleas carried Bubonic Plague which killed 90% of the people who caught it and wiped out a significant fraction of the world's population in the fourteenth century, so there is a very good evolutionary reason people fear having wild rodents in their homes.

i thought it had something to do with the original indoor plumbing that did not have air vents, thus the plumbing backed up and the feces caused the black plague during the dark ages.

and rodents.
Misunderstood.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2006, 10:00:07 PM »
Yersinia pestis is the bacterium that causes plague.  If a rodent flea carries plague from biting one infected animal and it bites another rodent or another animal, including a human, this animal can be infected with plague.  Rat fleas were the primary vector of plague in the Middle Ages and they still are even today.  Bubonic plague victims have swollen and very tender lymph nodes, called buboes, usually in the groin, armpit or neck.  However, a person who has pneumonic plague, which is plague in the lungs, can spread the disease by coughing on someone or by other close contact.

Follow this CDC link for more information:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/plague/

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2006, 11:49:05 PM »
i was thinking of the cholera outbreak.

When millions in Europe died from cholera in 1832, people began to realize that poor sanitary conditions caused the disease to spread. Parisians rioted and Emperor Napoleon III had old sewers cleaned and new ones built. The government in Britain passed laws requiring houses to have some kind of flushing toilet or privy.

http://www.historychannel.com/exhibits/modern/toilet.html

interestingly enough, thomas crapper a British plumber, developed a type of flushing toilet in 1872. He perfected the cistern - the tank that holds the water for flushing and made flushing quieter. The American soldiers stationed in England during World War I who returned to the US used his name as a euphemism for the toilet.

Misunderstood.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2006, 11:50:33 PM »
Thanks for the image, Peter.  ::) No, I did not do it on purpose.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2006, 02:03:34 AM »
"yersinia" is such a fabulous word...

/says "yersinia" several times, enjoying the feel of it...   8)

takes me back to my microbiological days...

Triste

« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2006, 04:28:40 AM »

Why we have cats...

I'm surprised nobody mentioned cats.  Ours do a pretty good job of keeping the mice away - this was the first mouse we've seen in our house in over a year.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2006, 06:40:41 AM »
stupid ficking mouse.
looks like an appetizer.
Misunderstood.

duncvis

« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2006, 09:52:06 AM »
I'd go for the organic method myself, but both me and our little lass are allergic to the fish-stinking mouse killers.  :-\

le travesti angelique

« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2006, 09:54:08 AM »

Why we have cats...

I'm surprised nobody mentioned cats.  Ours do a pretty good job of keeping the mice away - this was the first mouse we've seen in our house in over a year.

Ehehehehehehe! Kittah!!! :3

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2006, 11:04:37 AM »
that mouse has been PWN3D!
Misunderstood.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2006, 08:53:40 PM »
 :laugh:

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2006, 09:05:02 PM »
My daughter would like to have a pet dog or cat, but both she and my husband have bad allergies to them.