Author Topic: An intriguing thought about 2012  (Read 2201 times)

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
An intriguing thought about 2012
« on: September 01, 2009, 12:56:22 AM »
No, this isn't exactly about "OMG THE WORLD IS ENDING" Mayan calculator prophecy nor about the movie, but rather the fact so many people out there in doomsayer communities believe this. I've been thinking that even without a cataclysmic event being imminent on that date, the potential hysteria could inadvertently lead to the very thing that is feared. Even if it doesn't reach an apocalyptic scale, imagine all the ridiculous behavior that will emerge as the time approaches to within a month of the date. Look at Y2K for instance, and how people reacted to that. Well imagine that but amplify it, due to the religious/social significance this date has in culture.

This scenario does concern me, because from what I see, it's entirely plausible too.

So the question is, is it actually possible that a serious event could emerge on December 21st, 2012, but not because it was foretold or predicted, but because people want to believe in it and make it a self-fulfilling prophecy?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 03:41:25 AM by Singularity »
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline Dean

• one
Re: An intriguing thought about 2012
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 02:05:20 AM »
only in so far as I can see people rioting and such.
"I am truly a lone traveler and have never belonged to my country, my home, my friends, or even my immediate family, with my whole heart"--Einstein

"Battle not with monsters lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you" - neitzche

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 02:17:53 AM »
I s'pose it's plausible, but highly unlikely. With all the nuclear missiles that were decomissioned, that takes a lot of the worry away, even though there are still some countries with the capabilities to blow us to kingdom come. Personally, I think everyone will shit themselves when it gets to the time that it's meant to happen, then like Y2K it'll pass and we'll all be saying 'well, that was a complete wank, wasn't it...'

Same sort of shit with this bullshit global warming and the 2050 dateline they gave with that. The world is gonna keep chugging along as it has always done for the next 4 billion years at least. There may be asteroids that could wipe out animals and humans, but the Earth ain't gonna go splat. Nor will it dry up and everyone suddenly die. I can't prove this, but seriously, who the fuck can prove that it will? Global warming is just a natural phenomenon, which has happened before and will keep happening. As will ice-ages and other things. We are due for another ice-age anyway, because the last serious one was 15,000 or more years ago.

So my opinion on this Mayan calendar shite and the doom and gloom propagated by the Chritians and all those other dickheads is that come December 23 2012, while they are all cowereing and preparing for the 2nd coming (or whatever bullshit), I'll be cracking another tinnie and saying  ':finger: you  :wanker: cos you were fucking wrong again!'

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 02:26:33 AM »
2012 will be like any other year. War, death and general bollocks. Fashion trends will be *even* more ridiculous looking, already it's nearly worse than the 80's. :aff:

TheoK

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 02:35:50 AM »
 :agreed: :-\

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 02:42:58 AM »
This is what I had in mind when I made this thread, and considering a post 9/11 world, it wouldn't take much to cause panic these days:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destructive_cult#Terrorism
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 03:06:22 AM »
It's possible then that Dubya should have been included in that list, given the hysteria that he caused by going after the terrorists after Sept 11 (9/11 to us Australians refers to 9th of Novenmber). Of course the writer of the book left him out, because it would have been seen by the Christian right and the republicans to be treasonous to name the head of your own country as a leader of a 'destructive cult'.

Anyway, with Jones and some of the others, they were definitely displaying narcissistic tendencies and wanted to take out as many people as possible.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 05:34:16 AM »
2012 will be like any other year. War, death and general bollocks. Fashion trends will be *even* more ridiculous looking, already it's nearly worse than the 80's. :aff:

:agreed:

Who many times has things like this been predicted?

This is what I had in mind when I made this thread, and considering a post 9/11 world, it wouldn't take much to cause panic these days:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destructive_cult#Terrorism

I don't think it will rise to that level sure some nutters might try but most of them are like those comet people who killed themselves
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 08:46:13 AM »
I think in 2012 there are going to be a bunch of people looking real stupid about this Mayan Calendar end of the world shit.

Blasted

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 09:59:36 AM »
I will be a 23 year old hobo  :orly:

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 10:28:26 AM »

I will be a 23 year old homo 

:orly: 

:zoinks:

Offline matthe

• gifted asshole
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • quit fucking with my dogs equilibrium yo
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 11:39:36 AM »
I think in 2012 there are going to be a bunch of people looking real stupid about this Mayan Calendar end of the world shit.

yeah i think so too. i actually believe in the mayan calander and its cycles, but people have twisted its "end" into something its not. its essentially the mayan equivalent to y2k, in that its not the "end" of the calander but the begining of a big cycle.

its just like a regular old 2008 calander, in december, you just go buy a new one for 2009, but it doesnt mean that time will stop on new years eve.
feix ma spellan. ai nide halp. coz i caent duet.

Blasted

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 12:59:46 PM »

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 04:06:58 PM »
2013 will be the year where the big believers of something special happening in 2012 will rewrite their story.
And something important will have happened in 2012 in that story I guess, something invisible for mortal eyes, but very important for those who know.

Has been done before, will be done again.

The world has come to an end so many times.

For example 1844 or was it 1843, lots of people where waiting for the end of the world. Jesus would return. When the years passed by, they changed the theory and said that in 1844 something extremely important happenend in heaven. Can be found in SDA church history.

There's always a way to keep up appearances. Just change the story slightly, and stubbornly state that is allways was and allways will be valid, though sometimes not yet completely understood.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 05:07:47 PM »
1843 it was; that was the first time the word 'rapture' was used in regard to tribulation. It was never mentioned in the bible, but most Christians now believe that it was.

Being pagan though, I personally ain't worried about any of it. We will go on as normal, and die when our time has come (whatever that is).