Author Topic: What was the last thing you said out loud?  (Read 9519 times)

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
Re: What was the last thing you said out loud?
« Reply #210 on: May 29, 2010, 05:16:45 PM »
I probably missed it all Dawg.

Sometimes we do speak completely different, both using English.  :laugh:

They were putting us down for only knowing two languages.

I shut them up.

I realise that.

And experienced it the other way around long time ago.

At a meeting of German students and youngsters, and Dutch students and youngsters the language used was German, no matter where the meeting was, in the Netherlands, or Germany. And as long as people were patient, it would work well. Then one time there were two German guys who kept complaining on how defective the understanding of some of the Dutch people was, when it came to the German language. All should be able to speak it fluent, or be silent, if they had their say, because Germany was bigger than the Netherlands. They endangered the whole meeting, by being more and more insulting, and by talking faster and faster, and after that, by talking in the Bavarian dialect.

The rest of the group then decided that the language used should be English for two days. So that those two could experience what it was like to talk and think in another language for an extended time. Those two young men were very unhappy with it. Their English was abominable. But none of the other people attending the meeting was having any mercy on them. They did tone down a bit after that. They also were not part of the group when we met the year after that. And no one missed them.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

TheoK

« Reply #211 on: May 29, 2010, 05:33:23 PM »
From the German point of view, Netherlands is just a German dialect. It's a kind of lower Franconian.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #212 on: May 29, 2010, 06:34:13 PM »
Ah, but that is not what it is about. Doesn't matter what the genealogy of the languages are in what I wrote.

It is about the rudeness and impoliteness people can display, because of them feeling superior because of their language skills.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #213 on: May 29, 2010, 07:41:39 PM »

I shut them up.

I realise that.

And experienced it the other way around long time ago.

At a meeting of German students and youngsters, and Dutch students and youngsters the language used was German, no matter where the meeting was, in the Netherlands, or Germany. And as long as people were patient, it would work well. Then one time there were two German guys who kept complaining on how defective the understanding of some of the Dutch people was, when it came to the German language. All should be able to speak it fluent, or be silent, if they had their say, because Germany was bigger than the Netherlands. They endangered the whole meeting, by being more and more insulting, and by talking faster and faster, and after that, by talking in the Bavarian dialect.

The rest of the group then decided that the language used should be English for two days. So that those two could experience what it was like to talk and think in another language for an extended time. Those two young men were very unhappy with it. Their English was abominable. But none of the other people attending the meeting was having any mercy on them. They did tone down a bit after that. They also were not part of the group when we met the year after that. And no one missed them.

... and this kind of thing is why most Euros think that the world is a village.

It is not.

... but at least you understand a small bit of what it is to be tromped upon for nothing.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #214 on: May 29, 2010, 07:42:59 PM »
So, you'll just have to wait until tomorrow.  I've gone ahead without you.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #215 on: May 29, 2010, 07:44:44 PM »
Ah, but that is not what it is about. Doesn't matter what the genealogy of the languages are in what I wrote.

It is about the rudeness and impoliteness people can display, because of them feeling superior because of their language skills.

It sounds as if you and I are speaking the same language, again.

I will not be put down for doing my best to be the best I can be.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #216 on: May 29, 2010, 09:29:59 PM »

I shut them up.

I would not put down anyone because of something like that. Languages are one of my more persistent obsessions, though.

I can appreciate that, and I get that you want to perfect what you do know, as I do.

I have tried hard to learn ... even when I make a mistake, I often know exactly, to a fine degree, what failures of mine made up the various contributing factors that lead up to my mistake.

@CBC:

I began speaking Spanish as a hack when I was six years old (beginning with simple sign language and broad assertions that the other could interpret my signs). Around the time I reached sixth grade (age of twelve) I felt like I already knew everything that there was to know about English, and honestly, I have only learned the most vague and unpopular subtleties since that time. I turn my attention to learning the grammar of proper Spanish and let go the slang I had learned.

It was only much later, in my twenties, that I leaned back into the rest of the English language grammar that I had skipped over as a child.

Wow, what got you interested in the first place?  :orly:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #217 on: May 30, 2010, 03:04:41 PM »
I had a new neighbor one day, my age, with whom I could not communicate. He was new to this country. His family worked in the fields around our house.  We began to try to communicate with signs. We exchanged languages, over the next two years and he became a citizen with his father (sorry, but women were not significant enough to warrant citizenship to his people, despite the fact that the "Matriarch"  of the family is the ruler of all interests within the immediate family - never quite figured that shit out ???). We became friends.  Best friends, even. Well he was my only friend.

He and I were real friends for several years, until he took his afternoon siesta in the shade, under a grain truck in the harvesting fields one day. We were thirteen.  He was "working" and I was playing. He napped for an hour after his lunch while I played in the irrigation ditch mud. He was crushed alive when the truck driver awoke from his siesta and realized that his truck was late for the harvester's load. It was bad.

I had taught several of them some English and they had taught me some "Mexican."  (I found later that what I had learned was not really educated Spanish. My education in Spanish began about two years and many tears later.)

I always kept him in my mind as I learned his language for many years to come.

... but mainly, it was the language of the majority of the people who lived in the land where I grew up. Most people there speak both languages.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 09:47:20 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #218 on: May 30, 2010, 03:23:40 PM »
This is for my bill , thanks

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #219 on: May 30, 2010, 03:41:27 PM »
'natt!
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #220 on: May 31, 2010, 01:37:23 AM »

I guess if we were some Swedes and Norwegians, most of the Swedes would insist on speaking Swedish, though in fact, those languages are so similar so the Norwegians could be understood perfectly by speaking their own language.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 01:39:02 AM by TheoK »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #221 on: June 05, 2010, 07:41:57 PM »

YOU HAVE GOT THE WRONG DAWG!!!!!!!!!1!11

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #222 on: May 16, 2012, 02:47:05 PM »
A Mcfrazzle-shat please  :zoinks:
blah blah blah

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #223 on: May 16, 2012, 02:48:34 PM »
Ouch. I think I was sleeping.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline MissKitty

• Pet of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #224 on: May 16, 2012, 03:07:36 PM »
"I don't know why your computer is being so crappy."
"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." - Anonymous

"Sleep, structure and time are a wonderful loom to weave a life on." ~ Her Majesty