Author Topic: Have you tried blackcurrants?  (Read 327 times)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
Have you tried blackcurrants?
« on: May 18, 2009, 11:38:55 AM »
Blackcurrants were once popular in the United States as well, but became extremely rare in the 20th century after currant farming was banned in the early 1900s when blackcurrants, as a vector of white pine blister rust, were considered a threat to the U.S. logging industry.[1] The federal ban on growing currants was shifted to individual states' jurisdiction in 1966, and was lifted in New York State in 2003 through the efforts of horticulturist Greg Quinn. As a result, currant growing is making a comeback in New York, Vermont, Connecticut and Oregon.[2][3] However, several statewide bans still exist including Maine[citation needed], Massachusetts[citation needed] and New Hampshire[4]. Since the federal ban ceased currant production anywhere in the U.S., the fruit is not well-known and has yet to reach the popularity that it had in 19th century United States or that it currently has in Europe. Since blackcurrants are a strong source of antioxidants and vitamins, awareness and popularity are once again growing, with a number of consumer products entering the market.

My garden's got a large and expanding patch of blackcurrant bushes that have seeded and rooted from a single bush over the past 7 years or so, and they grow wild around here, alongside raspberries and blackberries.  Blackcurrant was always my favourite flavour as a kid for sweets, juice and jam, coming slightly ahead of strawberry and raspberry and beating citrus flavours by a wide margin.  I was wondering if anyone had been deprived of them, either as fresh fruit or in processed form.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

TheoK

Re: Have you tried blackcurrants?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 11:52:43 AM »
We have shitloads of them in August and September.  :thumbup:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 02:43:01 PM »
Blackcurrants were once popular in the United States as well, but became extremely rare in the 20th century after currant farming was banned in the early 1900s when blackcurrants, as a vector of white pine blister rust, were considered a threat to the U.S. logging industry.[1] The federal ban on growing currants was shifted to individual states' jurisdiction in 1966, and was lifted in New York State in 2003 through the efforts of horticulturist Greg Quinn. As a result, currant growing is making a comeback in New York, Vermont, Connecticut and Oregon.[2][3] However, several statewide bans still exist including Maine[citation needed], Massachusetts[citation needed] and New Hampshire[4]. Since the federal ban ceased currant production anywhere in the U.S., the fruit is not well-known and has yet to reach the popularity that it had in 19th century United States or that it currently has in Europe. Since blackcurrants are a strong source of antioxidants and vitamins, awareness and popularity are once again growing, with a number of consumer products entering the market.

My garden's got a large and expanding patch of blackcurrant bushes that have seeded and rooted from a single bush over the past 7 years or so, and they grow wild around here, alongside raspberries and blackberries.  Blackcurrant was always my favourite flavour as a kid for sweets, juice and jam, coming slightly ahead of strawberry and raspberry and beating citrus flavours by a wide margin.  I was wondering if anyone had been deprived of them, either as fresh fruit or in processed form.

I have never seen them offered fresh in my entire life, so I have no idea what fresh ones are like, but I have had them when offered as preserves, jams, frozen or dried fruit.

They are always quite expensive, but I do like them a lot.
I would rather have currants than "pine nuts" to eat anyway (lol) and anyone with half a brain would prefer have the framing structure of their house built from yellow pine rather than white pine, for that matter.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

TheoK

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 02:45:22 PM »
Oh, blackcurrants, I thought it said "blackberries".  :-\

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 04:23:48 PM »
I have never seen them offered fresh in my entire life, so I have no idea what fresh ones are like, but I have had them when offered as preserves, jams, frozen or dried fruit.

I would rather have currants than "pine nuts" to eat anyway (lol) and anyone with half a brain would prefer have the framing structure of their house built from yellow pine rather than white pine, for that matter.

The fresh ones aren't much different from frozen ones; both are quite tart and astringent, and they retain their texture reasonably well when frozen.  It's one of a very few fruits that I think is improved when it's processed into jams and things, since it brings out the rich blackcurranty flavour, though I've always just eaten them raw when I harvest them.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 05:03:02 PM »

The fresh ones aren't much different from frozen ones; both are quite tart and astringent, and they retain their texture reasonably well when frozen.  It's one of a very few fruits that I think is improved when it's processed into jams and things, since it brings out the rich blackcurranty flavour, though I've always just eaten them raw when I harvest them.

Last time I found them frozen, I made an old fashioned double-crusted, carmelised sugar-topped cobbler, but it took three of their tiny, over-priced packages.
It was YuM!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 06:25:20 PM »
Holy crap, blackcurrants are/were illegal in the USA?

People are senseless.

My mother grew blackcurrant bushes in the back yard when I was younger and made awesome jam and jelly from them every year. We had gooseberries and crabapples as well. I had no idea they were so rare here.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 06:41:58 PM »
I don't remember ever trying them.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 10:02:04 PM »
I've just had them in jelly as far as I can remember.

Blasted

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 04:00:45 AM »
My mum grows them in the garden.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 07:37:57 AM »
Yum.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 03:06:20 PM »
I have had them in jam and drinks before never saw them as is from nature.  As far as the bans go on things that are part of the life cycle of a rust or other fungus it just doesn't work, too much of these things grow in nature
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Dacian

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 08:33:49 AM »
There are loads of blackcurrant bushes in these parts. The days of my childhood walking around and picking them. I had no idea that the US banned currant farming at one point. That's actually quite interesting.