Educational

Author Topic: Sayings you hate  (Read 11415 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Sayings you hate
« Reply #360 on: December 18, 2018, 11:35:48 PM »
Found a couple of holes in our back fence. Since our back fence is made from colourbonded metal sheeting, it wasn't like a kid poked his finger through it.

They looked almost like bullet holes, but a little too tidy. And I never considered that a neighbour in our area would be silly enough to go shooting holes in the fence with a silenced firearm.

Then we found the arrows. Real serious looking arrows too, with metal heads on them. Most of the "feathers" on the tails had been stripped off as they punched through the fence. One was embedded in a palm tree.

Had to be a compound bow.

I hope he isn't one of the pricks who has been shooting deer in the area with compound bows. People in our area have had deer wander out of the bush and die on their front lawns. Deer are not native and the government culls them anyway, but still not an activity I support in our neighbourhood.

Several questions, but YOU HAVE PALM TREES?  ... comes to mind first.

Any amount of hunting in a residential area is not cool. Too many damn people to put in danger. Pest control should be done with subsonic, accurate weaponry and only by those qualified to do so and never miss.
Bow and arrow is all sub sonic, but the weight of an arrow, even at two hundred feet per second, can carry it through a wall or as you know a steel fence.

Over here we have the game wardens who police hunters and hunting activity and they are armed state agents and some are armed federal agents, Any of whom can investigate an incident and arrest an offender.
Do you have such officers who could follow up on your concerns?

While I love to hunt deer, I would never take one of those wandering down our alley (not at all an unusual occurrence) looking for food. If someone is doing so in your back yard I think you should get the authorities that be involved.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #361 on: December 19, 2018, 12:09:31 AM »
Found a couple of holes in our back fence. Since our back fence is made from colourbonded metal sheeting, it wasn't like a kid poked his finger through it.

They looked almost like bullet holes, but a little too tidy. And I never considered that a neighbour in our area would be silly enough to go shooting holes in the fence with a silenced firearm.

Then we found the arrows. Real serious looking arrows too, with metal heads on them. Most of the "feathers" on the tails had been stripped off as they punched through the fence. One was embedded in a palm tree.

Had to be a compound bow.

I hope he isn't one of the pricks who has been shooting deer in the area with compound bows. People in our area have had deer wander out of the bush and die on their front lawns. Deer are not native and the government culls them anyway, but still not an activity I support in our neighbourhood.

Several questions, but YOU HAVE PALM TREES?  ... comes to mind first.

Any amount of hunting in a residential area is not cool. Too many damn people to put in danger. Pest control should be done with subsonic, accurate weaponry and only by those qualified to do so and never miss.
Bow and arrow is all sub sonic, but the weight of an arrow, even at two hundred feet per second, can carry it through a wall or as you know a steel fence.

Over here we have the game wardens who police hunters and hunting activity and they are armed state agents and some are armed federal agents, Any of whom can investigate an incident and arrest an offender.
Do you have such officers who could follow up on your concerns?

While I love to hunt deer, I would never take one of those wandering down our alley (not at all an unusual occurrence) looking for food. If someone is doing so in your back yard I think you should get the authorities that be involved.

Problem is that we discovered the arrows some time after we discovered the holes. I suspect that it was the previous tenants, a bunch of outdoorsy young blokes who were a bit rough around the edges, rather than the young family who moved in more recently. It was down the bottom corner of our backyard and there are vines growing along the fence so we may not have noticed for a while. It seems like the sort of (dumb) thing I would have done when I was their age. I suspect that one of them had a new compound bow he wanted to try out before he took it pig hunting.

Yes, we have palm trees. Our climate is warm temperate. When our area was first developed, in the 80s, palm trees were quite popular and people were planting them in their front yards and along the fences. When we moved back into our house there were 11 big cocos palm trees (around 30 to 40 feet tall) that were already there years earlier when I bought the place, and they all produced huge stalks of inedible fruit. We had those chopped down 5 years ago. We still have a few different smaller and more decorative palm trees.

This is the fruit that those palm trees produced every year:

Most people in our area have chopped down their cocos palms and other large palm trees already. They look great when they are small but...

One of the benefits is that we don't have as many huge flying foxes (fruit bats) eating the fruit. Those things are enormous. The worst part is when they are hanging from a tree and you walk under the tree, how they take off is they let go of the tree and drop a few feet then open their wings (they have about a 5 foot wingspan on average) so you know that you've disturbed one when you hear and feel a huge "whoomp" sound just above your head. And those buggers carry the deadly Hendra Virus, so you don't want one biting you or scratching you.

** cocos palms are called queen palms in most of the world.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #362 on: December 19, 2018, 12:30:36 AM »
I used to have two huge date palms in my yard when I was a kid.

I had to learn to climb a bit to beat the opossums to the dates. They did not like them green either, but once the fruit browned up, the race was on!

Nice showing there. Kind of jealous for my youth.

Honestly, that fucking rockkkS!!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 12:33:33 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #363 on: December 19, 2018, 12:37:18 AM »

The compound bow is definitely the way to go, if you want to do things with a bow.

Yes. So long as it's set for your draw. Trying to pull one of those configured for someone with
a few inches on you is worse than pulling a full 'real' bow.

But, I was talking about the composite bow, rather than compound, which is no easy thing to pull.
All the same, a little 3 1/2' bow had more power than the famed English longbow, due to the interleaving
of bone, hide, resin, and wood.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #364 on: December 19, 2018, 12:40:07 AM »
I remember about 2 years ago I went camping with the family. There was a common kitchen area and one night my wife came and asked me to come and look at a "very big mouse" in the kitchen. It was a brush-tailed possum, and about the size of a very large domestic cat.

“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #365 on: December 19, 2018, 07:13:53 AM »
I love possums! I used to have one who would sleep on my front porch during the day, curled up in a nest of leaves behind my recycling bin. He was quite safe there as we would walk within half a foot of him to get in/out our front door and he didn't mind us at all, nor us him. Even the dogs didn't bug him. We have a lot where we live and I'm happy to have them because they eat the ticks.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #366 on: December 19, 2018, 08:51:38 AM »

The compound bow is definitely the way to go, if you want to do things with a bow.

Yes. So long as it's set for your draw. Trying to pull one of those configured for someone with
a few inches on you is worse than pulling a full 'real' bow.

But, I was talking about the composite bow, rather than compound, which is no easy thing to pull.
All the same, a little 3 1/2' bow had more power than the famed English longbow, due to the interleaving
of bone, hide, resin, and wood.
Sorry. I thought you mistyped.

That further compounds your statement which was already brilliant. I have never seen one.

All the compound bows I have ever used were very adjustable for the user.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #367 on: December 19, 2018, 09:11:17 AM »
I love possums! I used to have one who would sleep on my front porch during the day, curled up in a nest of leaves behind my recycling bin. He was quite safe there as we would walk within half a foot of him to get in/out our front door and he didn't mind us at all, nor us him. Even the dogs didn't bug him. We have a lot where we live and I'm happy to have them because they eat the ticks.

I love them, my wife hates them. My mom hated them.
My wife just wants them gone from the earth. Big rats! I know that they are not rodents, but marsupials. To her there is no difference.

Ours are more fluffy in the winter and are considered to be prime fur trappers' prizes.
We had a very large one take up winter residence in our garage one year (many years ago). My wife was panicked and it HAD to go. RIGHT NOW!
We live inside city limits of a small town, so I could not just take one of my guns and shoot it and she was NOT willing to wait for the animal control squad to come the next day. It HAD to go, now.

I had to use my pellet gun, which means a head shot or severely torturing the animal shooting it multiple times. It was ugly. I had to get it outside and scare it to the point it went into "playing 'possum" mode so I could get a clean shot. It weighed thirty seven pounds according to my fishing gear hand scale.
And it was beautiful, full winter coat, but it had pissed off (scared) a hard minded woman.

I have wild rabbits that eat my crops in the spring, but I am not a kill everything guy. Yes. I hunt and I take game, but to just kill something (other than an insect) because it annoys you is just wrong.
I still regret that killing.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #368 on: December 19, 2018, 10:16:16 AM »

Sorry. I thought you mistyped.

That further compounds your statement which was already brilliant. I have never seen one.

All the compound bows I have ever used were very adjustable for the user.

I've only seen one in a museum - and probably a reproduction.

And yes, compounds are adjustable. Problem was, I was borrowing (swapping back and forth on a range)
one with a friend, who had 6" on me. Pulling 115 lbs straight was more than I could handle. Before that, the best I had done
was a 65 lb modern recurve .

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #369 on: December 19, 2018, 12:57:30 PM »

I love them, my wife hates them. My mom hated them.
My wife just wants them gone from the earth. Big rats! I know that they are not rodents, but marsupials. To her there is no difference.

Ours are more fluffy in the winter and are considered to be prime fur trappers' prizes.
We had a very large one take up winter residence in our garage one year (many years ago). My wife was panicked and it HAD to go. RIGHT NOW!
We live inside city limits of a small town, so I could not just take one of my guns and shoot it and she was NOT willing to wait for the animal control squad to come the next day. It HAD to go, now.

I had to use my pellet gun, which means a head shot or severely torturing the animal shooting it multiple times. It was ugly. I had to get it outside and scare it to the point it went into "playing 'possum" mode so I could get a clean shot. It weighed thirty seven pounds according to my fishing gear hand scale.
And it was beautiful, full winter coat, but it had pissed off (scared) a hard minded woman.

I have wild rabbits that eat my crops in the spring, but I am not a kill everything guy. Yes. I hunt and I take game, but to just kill something (other than an insect) because it annoys you is just wrong.
I still regret that killing.
I am the complete opposite to your wife in that regard. My friends nicknamed me Snow White years ago because all of the little woodland creatures constantly seek me out and seem to know that my property is a safe one.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #370 on: December 19, 2018, 01:41:52 PM »

Your new nickname?
I try to be that "bad" guy, unlike many here who clear out the "pests" before they even start digging.
I do not think living near a colony of rabbits is reason enough to go full on reaper against their cute little fluffy tails. Yes, they eat my Brussells sprouts, so I try to grow enough for both of us.
Biggest thing wrong with that attack is that they come back with their brothers, cousins aunts uncles etc.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #371 on: December 19, 2018, 01:58:15 PM »
Problem in Australia is that rabbits have no natural predators. There are introduced foxes and there are eagles, but once the rabbit population takes off they have almost no impact. I remember a few years back there was one farm that had a rabbit plague, 200 million rabbits on the one farm. They ate every blade of grass, down to bare earth, and they drank every dam on the property dry. And then it got so hot that when news crews went to film the rabbits, there would be literally hundreds of starving and thirsty rabbits trying to huddle in the shade of their 4 wheel drives as soon as they pulled up.

I had no idea that possums got so big in the US: 67 pounds! The possums we have here are best given a wide berth, they aren't that big but they don't "play possum". When I was about 5 or 6 years old there was a possum in the playground at school, in a tree. They kept us inside the classrooms all day until a professional came out with double thickness leather "gloves" that went up to his armpits. I'd rather go three rounds with a Tasmanian Devil than get on the wrong side of a possum.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #372 on: December 19, 2018, 02:22:39 PM »

Your new nickname?
I try to be that "bad" guy, unlike many here who clear out the "pests" before they even start digging.
I do not think living near a colony of rabbits is reason enough to go full on reaper against their cute little fluffy tails. Yes, they eat my Brussells sprouts, so I try to grow enough for both of us.
Biggest thing wrong with that attack is that they come back with their brothers, cousins aunts uncles etc.
I don't judge your choices at all. I would have just had the opposite reaction to your wife: "OMG DON'T KILL IT!!! IT'S CUTE!!!"  :GA: :laugh:
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #373 on: December 20, 2018, 07:37:13 AM »
Problem in Australia is that rabbits have no natural predators. There are introduced foxes and there are eagles, but once the rabbit population takes off they have almost no impact. I remember a few years back there was one farm that had a rabbit plague, 200 million rabbits on the one farm. They ate every blade of grass, down to bare earth, and they drank every dam on the property dry. And then it got so hot that when news crews went to film the rabbits, there would be literally hundreds of starving and thirsty rabbits trying to huddle in the shade of their 4 wheel drives as soon as they pulled up.

I had no idea that possums got so big in the US: 67 pounds! The possums we have here are best given a wide berth, they aren't that big but they don't "play possum". When I was about 5 or 6 years old there was a possum in the playground at school, in a tree. They kept us inside the classrooms all day until a professional came out with double thickness leather "gloves" that went up to his armpits. I'd rather go three rounds with a Tasmanian Devil than get on the wrong side of a possum.

You miss read that. It was the size of a small dog, thirty seven pounds/sixteen+ kg

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #374 on: December 20, 2018, 06:48:08 PM »
This term is very new (I just heard it for the first time today) and I already hate it for obvious reasons.

"Pedophobia" - an irrational fear or hatred of pedophiles.

Are you fucking kidding me?? We're now supposed to accept pedophiles as part of the LGBTQ(alphabet soup)+++ movement??   :zombiefuck: