Educational

Author Topic: Sayings you hate  (Read 11095 times)

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
Re: Sayings you hate
« Reply #315 on: December 01, 2018, 08:30:44 AM »
Seventy Years (or what ever old age makes it ridiculous) Young.

I am sixty three, now and I am NOT young. It does seem that I am better off than quite a few of similar age as I look around, but the arthritis still hurts.

I am NOT sixty three years young!
My wife is fifty five, now and the other day a security guard where she picks up early air shipments for UPS said to her, "Good evening young lady!"  She was home later and told how old it made her feel for a thirty something guy to call HER a "young lady."
Last week at the grocery she had a huge basket/cart of goods and allowed a younger couple with a much lighter load to go ahead of her. The man turned back to thank her and gave her a hug. How OLD does a woman have to be for a young man to hug her in front of his wife? Pretty damn old.

*Hugs DirtDawg in front of everybody*   :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #316 on: December 01, 2018, 09:19:00 AM »

I am sixty three, now and I am NOT young. It does seem that I am better off than quite a few of similar age as I look around, but the arthritis still hurts.

My wife is fifty five, now and the other day a security guard where she picks up early air shipments for UPS said to her, "Good evening young lady!"  She was home later and told how old it made her feel for a thirty something guy to call HER a "young lady."
Last week at the grocery she had a huge basket/cart of goods and allowed a younger couple with a much lighter load to go ahead of her. The man turned back to thank her and gave her a hug. How OLD does a woman have to be for a young man to hug her in front of his wife? Pretty damn old.

*Grabs a big piece of Gopher ass, resists the urge to sniff things*
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #317 on: December 02, 2018, 06:58:08 PM »

*Grabs a big piece of Gopher ass, resists the urge to sniff things*

:GA:

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #318 on: December 07, 2018, 04:31:01 AM »
My friend has picked up an awful word from somewhere. Chrimbo. Instead of Christmas. Anyone heard this? I dislike it very much.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #319 on: December 07, 2018, 06:04:52 AM »
My friend has picked up an awful word from somewhere. Chrimbo. Instead of Christmas. Anyone heard this? I dislike it very much.
Never heard it, but yes, that's awful. :laugh:

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #320 on: December 08, 2018, 05:14:29 PM »
I haven't heard Chrismo yet.

I find "Chrissy" annoying enough. Chrismo takes it to another level.

"What are you doing for Chrissy?". "What prezzies did you get for Chrissy?". "We're having a Chrissy party next Saturday". "We're going to Brizzie for Chrissy and hopefully get some prezzies and throw some snags on the barbie and try not to get bitten by mozzies". And people wonder why some of us hate Chrissy Christmas.

And it's spreading. The rest of the world has already adopted "selfie" as a word.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 05:17:38 PM by Minister of silly walks »
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #321 on: December 08, 2018, 05:31:31 PM »
I've never heard of Crissy or Crimbo, or prezzies anything like that.  :dunno: Maybe those folks have been smoking too much christmas tree.  :zoinks:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #322 on: December 09, 2018, 03:43:25 AM »
Maybe it's an Aussie thing? :dunno:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #323 on: December 09, 2018, 10:45:32 AM »

Not so much slang, just st an annoying way a lot of Australians speak. Chrissy instead of Christmas, prezzies instead of presents, barby instead of barbeque, mozzies instead of mosquitoes, brizzie instead of Brisbane.

Selfie started as Australian slang in the same vein.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #324 on: December 09, 2018, 12:17:16 PM »
So we should blame you for "selfie"?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #325 on: December 09, 2018, 02:24:26 PM »

Not so much slang, just st an annoying way a lot of Australians speak. Chrissy instead of Christmas, prezzies instead of presents, barby instead of barbeque, mozzies instead of mosquitoes, brizzie instead of Brisbane.

I'm wondering if the peculiarities of Aussie speech (i.e. where in the mouth words are formed) makes this
a more attractive route. Yet, it would seem even more likely to have happened in England itself. I would think
that the American tendency towards lazy speech would make such endings less likely.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #326 on: December 10, 2018, 12:45:41 AM »

I'm wondering if the peculiarities of Aussie speech (i.e. where in the mouth words are formed) makes this
a more attractive route. Yet, it would seem even more likely to have happened in England itself. I would think
that the American tendency towards lazy speech would make such endings less likely.

Thinking you have a point.

- Albert Einstein

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #327 on: December 10, 2018, 02:05:43 AM »
So we should blame you for "selfie"?

Quote from: Wikipedia
By 2013, the word "selfie" had become commonplace enough to be monitored for inclusion in the online version of the Oxford English Dictionary. In November 2013, the word "selfie" was announced as being the "word of the year" by the Oxford English Dictionary, which gave the word itself an Australian origin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selfie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #328 on: December 10, 2018, 02:13:14 AM »

In the UK they do it sometimes. An "off licence" (liquor store) is often referred to as an "offy".

Australians tend to abbreviate words and add an "oh" sound at the end. Afternoon becomes "arvo". Bottle shop (liquor store again) becomes "bottle-o". Service Station (where we buy fuel for our cars) becomes "servo".

Sometimes we also use an "ah" sound to abbreviate words. Cup of tea becomes "cuppa". This tends to be more common with names. Gary becomes "Gazza". Sharon becomes "Shazza".

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #329 on: December 13, 2018, 07:28:16 PM »
I heard a DJ use the word "Chrismo" (for Xmas) on the radio this morning. In Sydney. At the opposite side of the country to Ren.

It's a thing now, apparently.