Author Topic: Sayings you hate  (Read 11005 times)

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
Re: Sayings you hate
« Reply #270 on: October 17, 2018, 09:15:36 PM »
In Indonesia it gets tricky, they will refer to young woman as mba (sister) and an older woman as ibu (mother, usually shortened to "boo").

Indonesian women get it, they rarely get offended by being referred to as "boo" because it's a sign of respect. Although I did hear about 4 women getting irate in a pub when they got the tab and the server had written "empat gendut ibu" on it (4 fat mamas). That pub hired waitresses for their looks and personalities and was pretty successful as a result but... they weren't that great on keeping track of table numbers and groups and who was buying what, so they'd write down a description of a group on their tab.

I've seen some expat ladies get really upset about being referred to as "ibu" or "boo" though. Problem is that the Indonesians, even when they speak English, tend to tack it on at the end of every sentence when they are speaking to someone they see as having higher status than themselves. Like "yes boo, we add the transaction amount to the balance boo, transaction code is 1010 boo".

In Australian cities men will still call each other "mate" especially because we are drunk most of the time and therefore we tend to forget each other's names. But it is rare these days for women to refer people they don't know as "darling" or "sweetheart", which used to be quite common. Last time I was in Melbourne a Tesla saleswoman called me "sweetheart", which was a bit of a flashback. And in country towns and smaller regional cities people will still refer to you as "sweetheart" quite often. Like if you order a coffee they'll say "that'll be $3.50 sweetheart".
When people do that, it's hard to resist being sarcastic. Thanks, hun. You're welcome, sugarcakes.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #271 on: October 17, 2018, 09:51:46 PM »
When people do that, it's hard to resist being sarcastic. Thanks, hun. You're welcome, sugarcakes.
It's a dying tradition here though, so it makes me smile when I hear it.

A bit like when I was a kid and we went for a road trip, my mother got really excited every time she saw a swaggy (swagman) walking beside the road:

They were like a relic of an earlier time, even then.

These days the swaggies are long gone. But there are reminders of earlier times in the way some people still speak. Australian rhyming slang is almost completely gone, but every now and then you meet someone who still refers to strangers as "sweetheart", always in a very broad and nasal accent, and it takes you back a few decades.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #272 on: October 18, 2018, 05:12:18 AM »
It's still common here, and probably doesn't strike quite as condescending for men to be called pet names, and men don't seem to do that to each other. Swagmen were called hobos here.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #273 on: October 18, 2018, 10:07:59 AM »
In New Orleans a lot of the times the server will call you "Baby" "Dear" or "Darling"
I think it may be a bit of a hang on from the time they were baby carers.  Most of the employees in fast food places are black.

At the diner I'm "Mom" (because of The PR) or "Sis" (because The PR calls well known adults Aunt or Uncle.)

There's several saying in the South that everyone else finds annoying.

https://www.southernliving.com/travel/southern-sayings#southern-saying-madder-than-wet-hen

I've used some of those in the not so distant past.   :facepalm2:
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #274 on: October 18, 2018, 06:26:47 PM »
It's still common here, and probably doesn't strike quite as condescending for men to be called pet names, and men don't seem to do that to each other. Swagmen were called hobos here.

Men here just call each other mate, sometimes buddy. When I was a kid men sometimes called each other "China" (rhyming slang for "mate"), but I never hear that any more. Another one people occasionally use here is "bugalugs", usually for a 3rd person whose name you have forgotten, but sometimes directly as in "hey bugalugs!".

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Bugalugs

I guess people do use pet names in a condescending way in Australia, "mate" said with emphasis on the first (only) vowel sound and with an abrupt "T" sound and a slightly long "M" sound can be used to imply anger or dislike. But generally I don't notice stuff like that with pet names like "sweetheart" or "daaaarl" and assume it's just a bit of olde-style Australiana.

A swagman is similar to a hobo, but in Australia the swagman is more romanticised. A song about a swagman who steals a lamb was played as our anthem at the 1976 Olympics and was runner up (with 28% of the vote) when a vote was held regarding our choice of national anthem in the 70s. People have a much stronger emotional connection to that song than to the official national anthem, which is obvious at any big sporting event where both are played. A few people might mumble along to the national anthem but when Waltzing Matilda (about the thieving swagman) is played just about everyone is up on their feet and singing along.

When the swagmen were disappearing, dying or too old to walk any more, the newspapers would run articles on a regular basis, often on the front page, sadly chronicling the shrinking number of swagmen.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #275 on: October 18, 2018, 10:52:33 PM »
Have you ever heard variations on this piece of advice:

"At the end of their life nobody looks back and regrets not spending more time at the office instead of with their kids".

Like people could just make the choice to go home at 5 and miss deadlines and targets. And lose their jobs. Hey, if you got no job and you're living in a tent you definitely get to spend plenty of time with your kids.

I wonder if the people who worked extra hard regret the things that they were able to do for their kids, the school fees and university/college fees they were able to pay. I wonder if their families regret the holidays they were able to go on.

I regret that I have to go to work at all. I regret not winning the lottery.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #276 on: October 19, 2018, 02:51:35 PM »
I've heard that. Crappy advice, but when I tell them that, they always tell me not to take it so literally.

I like my work. It's not the only thing in life that I like, but it's one of them. If you don't like your job, don't make the rest of us feel guilty.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #277 on: October 19, 2018, 02:52:04 PM »
And that's not directed at you, MOSW.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #278 on: October 19, 2018, 04:11:27 PM »

Men here just call each other mate, sometimes buddy. When I was a kid men sometimes called each other "China" (rhyming slang for "mate"), but I never hear that any more. Another one people occasionally use here is "bugalugs", usually for a 3rd person whose name you have forgotten, but sometimes directly as in "hey bugalugs!".

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Bugalugs

I guess people do use pet names in a condescending way in Australia, "mate" said with emphasis on the first (only) vowel sound and with an abrupt "T" sound and a slightly long "M" sound can be used to imply anger or dislike. But generally I don't notice stuff like that with pet names like "sweetheart" or "daaaarl" and assume it's just a bit of olde-style Australiana.

A swagman is similar to a hobo, but in Australia the swagman is more romanticised. A song about a swagman who steals a lamb was played as our anthem at the 1976 Olympics and was runner up (with 28% of the vote) when a vote was held regarding our choice of national anthem in the 70s. People have a much stronger emotional connection to that song than to the official national anthem, which is obvious at any big sporting event where both are played. A few people might mumble along to the national anthem but when Waltzing Matilda (about the thieving swagman) is played just about everyone is up on their feet and singing along.

When the swagmen were disappearing, dying or too old to walk any more, the newspapers would run articles on a regular basis, often on the front page, sadly chronicling the shrinking number of swagmen.
It may be more so in Australia, but hobos are also romanticized in music, films, and books. They're lifestyle is a symbol of freedom and adventure. It's not surprising; some people also romanticize native americans, pioneer living, and for some reason equate a more simple life with happiness. Modern day poverty is sometimes romanticized in ways too; it makes me think of your recent post about the office vs kids. There's a tension between people who work and who don't; it's especially thick between working and non-working mothers.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #279 on: October 20, 2018, 05:40:11 AM »
"If even one person dies that's one too many"

Kill them all, if you will....

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #280 on: October 20, 2018, 01:10:16 PM »

My only regrets involve tequila shots.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #281 on: October 20, 2018, 09:22:15 PM »
I've heard that. Crappy advice, but when I tell them that, they always tell me not to take it so literally.

I like my work. It's not the only thing in life that I like, but it's one of them. If you don't like your job, don't make the rest of us feel guilty.

I don't particularly like my job, but I still often have to choose it over spendng more time with my family.

It's called being a grown-up.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #282 on: October 20, 2018, 09:34:14 PM »
Wow...I totally prefer work to being around other people, in general, and especially my family.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #283 on: October 21, 2018, 02:16:54 AM »

I don't particularly like my job, but I still often have to choose it over spendng more time with my family.

It's called being a grown-up.

Yup. Surprisingly, very few companies are willing to pay you if you don't do work for them.

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #284 on: October 26, 2018, 02:30:47 PM »

My only regrets involve tequila shots.  :zoinks:

As I pointed out to another poster; if this is the case then you have a great deal more living to do, as yet.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.