Educational

Author Topic: Sayings you hate  (Read 11306 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Sayings you hate
« Reply #180 on: September 23, 2018, 07:39:00 AM »
It's weird because restaurants/cafés will even write "smashed" whatever the food is - on their menus. What are people supposed to think?

Over here, "hipster type" places offering smashed entres are talking about tenderizing meats with a hammer, usually.

I often smash chicken breasts and pork loin cuts to ensure quick even cooking. To me it is the quick, consistent coooking that justifies any of that kind of meat smashing.
Unless of course we are trying to use a really low quality piece of tough meat to do something other than stew it up for hours. Breaking down the connective muscle tissue with a pointy hammer helps a lot.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 07:40:53 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #181 on: September 23, 2018, 07:45:16 AM »
IN the late seventies and early eighties when a band would hear a song and want to cover it on stage, but did not want to take the time to try to reproduce the original effort or simply wanted to make their own interpretation, they would just learn some of the riffs, the hooks and the chorus and then jam over the rest.

They called it smashing the song. Usually done in about twenty minutes of rehearsal time or less.

I felt the same kind of horror as Odeon mentioned at the idea of code smashing.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #182 on: September 23, 2018, 04:24:55 PM »

Many chefs do not waste that skin, though, thinking that it will re-hydrate to a palatable consistency in the cooking process. I do not agree. I throw them into the compost pile.

Never known anyone to retain the skins. At best, it would be worthless filler.

Into the trenches with it!

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #183 on: September 23, 2018, 04:54:33 PM »

Many chefs do not waste that skin, though, thinking that it will re-hydrate to a palatable consistency in the cooking process. I do not agree. I throw them into the compost pile.

Never known anyone to retain the skins. At best, it would be worthless filler.

Into the trenches with it!

I took a course while still in my teens and the French chef simply cut off the root end and "smashed" rest (he used a large cleaver and pounded the garlic about ten times), dumping the entirety into a stock pot of beef. The end result was tasty, but I was tentative about finding a part of the skins against my palate.

I never had done this and even after seeing a famous well paid chef do it, I never have. The skins are compost for next years gardening efforts.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #184 on: September 23, 2018, 05:41:22 PM »
Wouldn't put fish heads in my soup either though. :/

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #185 on: September 23, 2018, 10:21:54 PM »
A friend on Facebook wrote, "Treating myself to a burger since I smashed my presentation."

Sounds bloody horrible!
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #186 on: September 23, 2018, 10:32:15 PM »
Hey look on the bright side. At least you don't have to suffer an infestation of scousers over there :autism:

God, that horrible nasal whine of a scouse accent (scouser=native to the slum/city/ of liverpool, depending how charitable one can manage to be), especially when its a woman's voice  with a souse accent, sounds fucking awful, as if ozzy ozzbourne were tryiny to play a kazoo with his nose whilst suffering from the flu.

(don't get me wrong,  I love his vocals when he was  with Sabbath, but if you've ever heard it..got to admit, it sounds like a brummie with a dead rat stuffed up their nose.)
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #187 on: September 24, 2018, 01:54:50 PM »
Realize that we have our own brand of nasal whiners over here. Most of them are not even well educated.
 :autism:

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #188 on: September 24, 2018, 11:12:48 PM »
Sounds  like your average scouser then :P

About as smart as inserting a broomhandle into one's anus and  going bungee-jumping without a rope.

And with a voice you could  use to strip the steel from a chemical toilet bowl. Especially female scousers, that voice is just bloody horrid.
Worst of  all though, female scouse pikeys. Nothing worse, than the sound of a pikey scouse chav tosser talking. Or trying to speak, that is. I could use the voice of the female variety of scouse charver for cleaning the worst,  most recalcitrant  polymerized shite from the insides of my lab flasks
as a harsher alternative to base bath piranha etch.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #189 on: October 04, 2018, 04:22:09 AM »
"newcueler"  instead of actually moving ones tongue while attempting to say, "nuclear."

"Assurely"  instead of assuredly.

"Purposely"  instead of purposefully. I know it has become common thanks to Trumpspeak, but I just do not like it.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 05:02:19 AM by DirtDawg »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #190 on: October 08, 2018, 12:58:19 PM »
Irregardless. Instead of regardless?

Preventative. Instead of preventive?

Editing because I just heard this on CNN. I tried to sit down and relax and I get another one!!

Interpretated. Instead of interpreted. Just NO!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 01:14:57 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #191 on: October 08, 2018, 02:16:46 PM »

Fucking bogus word. We should roll back inflamable too.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #192 on: October 09, 2018, 02:52:16 AM »
On point is becoming more and more common. I always thought it was en pointe but that's a ballet term. It's the first way I saw that spelt.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #193 on: October 09, 2018, 03:01:04 AM »

Preventative. Instead of preventive?

Editing because I just heard this on CNN. I tried to sit down and relax and I get another one!!

Interpretated. Instead of interpreted. Just NO!

Irregardless is a funny one. Kind of a mash-up of irrespective and regardless. It's an official word too.

I hardly ever hear people say preventive, it's usually preventative. I just read that in news stories in the UK the ratio is about 1:1 (preventive:preventative) while in the US it is about 10:1. 
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #194 on: October 09, 2018, 03:03:12 AM »
I find "at the end of the day", used to add emphasis to a statement, a bit annoying. I noticed it a lot in the UK.

I find when people say "I could care less" when they mean "I couldn't care less" more amusing than annoying.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass