Author Topic: Swine flu  (Read 2795 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Swine flu
« on: April 26, 2009, 07:07:12 PM »
WASHINGTON – The world's governments raced to avoid both a pandemic and global hysteria Sunday as more possible swine flu cases surfaced from Canada to New Zealand and the United States declared a public health emergency. "It's not a time to panic," the White House said.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/med_swine_flu;_ylt=AhVY9HSdmWZNzf8yt9Kpf_2s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTJlNGx2ZHU1BGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMDkwNDI2L21lZF9zd2luZV9mbHUEY3BvcwMxBHBvcwMyBHNlYwN5bl90b3Bfc3RvcnkEc2xrA3dvcmxkZ292ZXJubQ--

Any thoughts  we even have some on Long Island here.  I really don't think much of it but the panic it will cause could be enormous,  And people do strange disparate things when scared 
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
Re: Swine flu
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 10:02:09 PM »
I'm curious about how it'll turn out, but I'm not overly worried about it.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Diesel

• Log splitting aspie elitist
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Oblivitard
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 09:28:04 AM »
The gene pool is long over-due for a thorough cleaning.
Maybe this will be it. :zoinks:

Whishful thinking.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 09:40:52 AM »
I think it is a media hype over-reaction.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 10:19:23 AM »
I worry about my kids, but at this point can't see any reason to panic. Just keep being smart and avoid certain things.
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

TheoK

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 10:21:53 AM »
I have high hopes. Maybe this time "humankind" might be wiped out for good.  8)

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 11:32:53 AM »
Just got this in my inbox! This is official US Government data.

*** NSA SOUTH POTOMAC ALL HANDS BULLETIN ***

FORCE HEALTH PROTECTION ADVISORY REGARDING SWINE INFLUENZA

**************** UNCLASSIFIED// ****************
Subject: USNORTHCOM FORCE HEALTH PROTECTION 09-114A - SWINE INFLUENZA//
Originator: NORAD AND USNORTHCOM COMMAND CENTER(UC)
DTG: 261930Z Apr 09
Precedence: PRIORITY
DAC: General
--------------------------------------------------

UNCLASSIFIED//
UNCLASSIFIED//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/
1. (U) USNORTHCOM IS PUBLISHING THIS FORCE HEALTH PROTECTION ADVISORY IN THE LIGHT OF RECENT EVENTS WITH REGARD TO A SWINE FLU
INCIDENTS IN THE USNORTHCOM AOR. REQUEST WIDEST DISSEMINATION POSSIBLE TO ALL COMMANDS, UNITS, AGENCIES, FACILITIES AND PERSONNEL.
2. (U) USNORTHCOM FORCE PROTECTION CONDITIONS.
2.A. (U) FPCON BASELINE FOR THE USNORTHCOM AOR, TO INCLUDE THE CONTINENTAL UNITED STATES REMAINS UNCHANGED AT FPCON ALPHA.
2.B. (U) FPCON BASELINE FOR MEXICO REMAINS UNCHANGED AT FPCON BRAVO.
2.C. (U) USNORTHCOM IS NOT CONSIDERING AN FPCON BASELINE CHANGE AT THIS TIME.

3. (U) A NOVEL VIRUS STRAIN OF HUMAN SWINE INFLUENZA HAS BEEN CONFIRMED IN THE USNORTHCOM AOR. CDC HAS DETERMINED THIS NOVEL STRAIN
IS NOT A PANDEMIC AT THIS TIME. AS OF 261140ZAPR09 THERE HAVE BEEN TWENTY ONE CONFIRMED CASES OF THIS STRAIN IN THE UNITED STATES
(SEVEN IN CALIFORNIA, TWO IN TEXAS, TWO IN KANSAS, ONE IN OHIO, AND NINE IN NEW YORK). ADDITIONAL SUSPECT CASES ARE AWAITING SAMPLE
ANALYSIS.
3.A. (U) THERE IS ALSO AN INCREASE IN THE NUMBER OF CASES WITH FLU-LIKE SYMPTOMS AND/OR PNEUMONIA REPORTED FROM MEXICO. THE SEVERITY
OF SYMPTOMS AND/OR FATALITY RATES FROM MEXICO HAS NOT BEEN CONFIRMED, BUT 23 OF 65 SAMPLES FROM MEXICO SUBMITTED TO CDC OR CANADIAN
NATIONAL MICROBIOLOGY LABORATORY ARE CONFIRMED AS SWINE FLU. AT LEAST ONE OF THE POSITIVE SAMPLES IS ASSOCIATED WITH A DEATH. 
3.B. (U) CANADIAN OFFICIALS ARE INVESTIGATING THREE PROBABLE CASES IN HALIFAX.
3.C. (U) STATE AND FEDERAL (CDC AND USDA) HEALTH AUTHORITIES ARE CONTINUING EPIDEMIOLOGICAL INVESTIGATIONS WITH INCREASED
MEDICAL/HEALTH SURVEILLANCE EFFORTS.
3.D. (U) CURRENT DETAILS OF THIS EVENT CAN BE FOUND AT http://HTTP://WWW.CDC.GOV/FLU/SWINE/INVESTIGATION.HTM
4. (U) RECOMMENDED ACTIONS:
4.A. (U) MILITARY TREATMENT FACILITIES SHOULD INCREASE SURVEILLANCE FOR FLU-LIKE SYMPTOMS, REVIEW LOCAL PANDEMIC INFLUENZA RESPONSE
PLANS AND REVIEW INFECTION CONTROL PRACTICES.
4.B. (U) INDIVIDUALS CAN PRACTICE THESE SIMPLE PROCEDURES TO PREVENT THE SPREAD OF INFECTION:
4.B.1. (U) HAND WASHING WITH SOAP AND WARM OR HOT WATER. COLD WATER IS NOT AS EFFECTIVE FOR KILLING GERMS. IF SOAP AND WATER ARE NOT
AVAILABLE, USE AN ALCOHOL-BASED HAND SANITIZER.
4.B.2. (U) COVER YOUR NOSE AND MOUTH WHEN YOU COUGH OR SNEEZE.
4.B.3. (U) AVOID TOUCHING YOUR EYES, NOSE OR MOUTH.
4.B.4. (U) AVOID CLOSE CONTACT WITH PEOPLE WHO ARE SICK.
4.B.5. (U) ADDITIONAL INFORMATION IS AVAILABLE BY REVIEWING PANDEMIC FLU - A GUIDE FOR SERVICE MEMBERS AND FAMILIES AND U.S.
DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES PANDEMIC INFLUENZA PLANNING: A GUIDE FOR INDIVIDUALS AND FAMILIES. THESE REFERENCES CAN BE
FOUND AT http://HTTP://FHP.OSD.MIL/AIWATCHBOARD/PDF/FLU_TRIFOLD_JAN2007.PDF AND http://HTTP://WWW.PANDEMICFLU.GOV/PLAN/PDF/GUIDE.PDF
5. (U) THOSE WITH FLU-LIKE SYMPTOMS SHOULD STAY HOME FROM WORK, SCHOOL  AND SOCIAL GATHERINGS. THIS CAN HELP PREVENT THE SPREAD OF
INFECTION. CONSULT YOUR HEALTH CARE PROVIDER IF FLU-LIKE SYMPTOMS DEVELOP, ESPECIALLY FOR THOSE PERSONNEL AT A HIGHER RISK FOR
COMPLICATIONS OF THE FLU. MILITARY HEALTH CARE FACILITIES SHOULD REPORT SUSPECTED CASES OF SWINE FLU THROUGH THEIR ESTABLISHED
SERVICE REPORTING SYSTEMS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
6. (U) FOR UNITS IN SUPPORT OF CUSTOMS BORDER PATROL (CBP) OR DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY (DHS) OPERATIONS AND/OR WORKING ALONG
THE UNITED STATES (U.S.)SOUTHWEST BORDER (ARNORTH, JTF-N, MOBILE TRAINING TEAMS, ETC). THE FOLLOWING GUIDANCE SHOULD BE FOLLOWED:
6.A. (U) PERSONNEL SHOULD MAINTAIN MINIMUM OF SIX (6) FEET DISTANCE FROM FOREIGN NATIONALS OR INDIVIDUALS CROSSING THE U.S./MEXICAN
BORDER FROM MEXICO.
6.B. (U) IF CLOSER CONTACT IS REQUIRED, PERSONNEL SHOULD DON A "FIT TESTED"
N-95 RESPIRATOR.
6.C. (U) THIS GUIDANCE IS CONSISTENT WITH CUSTOMS AND BORDER PROTECTION PORT STAFF.
7. (U) PUBLIC AFFAIRS POSTURE.
7.A. (U) THE PUBLIC AFFAIRS POSTURE RELATED TO THIS FORCE HEALTH PROTECTION MESSAGE IS ACTIVE, ACKNOWLEDGING DOD RECOMMENDED ACTIONS
CONTAINED IN THIS MESSAGE.
7.B. (U) INSTALLATIONS SHOULD USE INTERNAL COMMUNICATION TOOLS TO DISTRIBUTE PRECAUTIONARY INFORMATION TO SERVICE MEMBERS, FAMILY
MEMBERS, GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES AND DOD CONTRACTORS. THE CDC WEBSITE REFERENCED IN PARA 3.C.
SHOULD BE THE PRIMARY SOURCE OF INFORMATION.
7.C. (U) ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING DOD INVOLVEMENT IN ASSISTING FEDERAL, STATE OR LOCAL AGENCIES SHOULD BE REFERRED WITHOUT COMMENT TO
THE USNORTHCOM PUBLIC AFFAIRS OFFICE AT (719) 554-6889 OR THE ON-CALL USNORTHCOM PUBLIC AFFAIRS OFFICER AT (719) 330-5169.

8. (U) THE POC FOR THIS FORCE HEALTH PROTECTION ADVISORY IS USNORTHCOM/J34 RISK MANAGEMENT BRANCH AT (719) 554-3897 OR 8307 OR DSN
692-3897 OR 8307.
EMAIL ADDRESS IS NC.J34.RM.OMB@NORTHCOM.(SMIL).MIL OR USNORTHCOM COMMAND SURGEON AT (719) 554-8153. EMAIL ADDRESS IS
NC.SG.OMB@NORTHCOM.(SMIL).MIL.
8.A. (U) RECOMMEND DISSEMINATION OF THIS MESSAGE TO ALL SUBORDINATE AND COMPONENT COMMANDS.
8.B. (U) ACKNOWLEDGE RECEIPT OF THIS MESSAGE VIA EMAIL TO EITHER OF THE FOLLOWING ADDRESS(S): NNC.CMDCTRLAND.OMB@NORTHCOM.MIL OR
NNC.CMDCRTINTERAGECNY.OMB@NORTHCOM.MIL

GENTEXT/AUTHENTICATION/USNORTHCOM OFFICIAL: J3/MG GRASS// AKNLDG/YES// BT NNNN

------------------------------------------------------

This is an official

CDC Health Advisory

Distributed via Health Alert Network

April 26, 2009, 11:00 EST (11:00 AM EDT)

CDCHAN-000282-2009-04-26-ALT-N

Risk of Swine Flu Associated with Travel to Affected Areas

Public health officials within the United States and throughout the world are investigating outbreaks of swine influenza (swine
flu).

Swine flu is a respiratory disease of pigs caused by a type A influenza virus that regularly causes outbreaks of influenza among
pigs.  Swine flu viruses do not normally infect humans; however, human infections with swine flu do occur.  Public health officials
have determined that this strain of swine flu virus spreads from human to human and can cause illness.

The outbreak is ongoing and additional cases are expected.  For more information concerning swine flu infection, please see the
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website: http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/.
For specific information on travel precautions and an update on the affected areas, please visit: www.cdc.gov/travel.

The symptoms of swine flu in people are similar to the symptoms of seasonal flu in humans and may include:

Fever (greater than 100°F or 37.8°C)

Sore throat

Cough

Stuffy nose

Chills

Headache and body aches
Fatigue

Some people have reported diarrhea and vomiting associated with swine flu.
Severe illness (pneumonia and respiratory failure) and deaths have been reported with swine flu infection in people. Like seasonal
flu, swine flu may cause a worsening of underlying chronic medical conditions.

People entering the United States who are experiencing symptoms consistent with swine flu and have traveled to an affected area (see
http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/investigation.htm for affected areas), or have been exposed to someone possibly infected with swine flu,
during the last 7 days should report their illnesses to their health care provider immediately and inform them of their recent
travel. 

People traveling from the United States to affected areas should be aware of the risk of illness with swine flu and take
precautions.

To prevent the spread of swine flu:

Avoid contact with ill persons.

When you cough or sneeze, cover your nose and mouth with a tissue or your sleeve (if you do not have a tissue).  Throw used tissues
in a trash can.

After you cough or sneeze, wash your hands with soap and water, or use an alcohol-based hand gel.

If you think you are ill with flu, avoid close contact with others as much as possible. Stay at home or in your hotel room.  Seek
medical care if you are severely ill (such as having trouble breathing).  There are antiviral medications for prevention and
treatment of swine flu that a doctor can prescribe.  Do not go to work, school, or travel while ill.

Categories of Health Alert messages:

Health Alert    conveys the highest level of importance; warrants immediate
action or attention.

Health Advisory provides important information for a specific incident or situation; may not require immediate action.

Health Update   provides updated information regarding an incident or
situation; unlikely to require immediate action.
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 12:33:05 PM »
Thanks for the information.

I wonder why so many people in Mexico have died from swine flu, when nobody has died yet in the US and it is the same strain of influenza, H1N1.

I wonder if there is more of a genetic susceptibility because more people in Mexico have Native American ancestry?

TheoK

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 12:37:06 PM »
If they only could invent a virus that would only kill niggers, arabs, spics and gooks.  :P

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 01:55:07 PM »
If they only could invent a virus that would only kill niggers, arabs, spics and gooks.  :P

Message from niggers:  :finger:
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 02:16:21 PM »
There's a couple of confirmed cases in Scotland now, and some other potential ones:

http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/society/health/british+swine+flu+cases+confirmed/3112982
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

TheoK

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 11:20:39 PM »

Message from niggers:  :finger:

Except for Sierra of course.  :zoinks:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 11:37:16 PM »
is this like the big bird flu of 97? ;)
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

TheoK

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 11:38:43 PM »
MillaFluilla.  :P

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 11:46:44 PM »
littaflupitta :orly:
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde: