Educational

Author Topic: urban gardening revisited  (Read 536 times)

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
urban gardening revisited
« on: April 24, 2009, 06:32:55 AM »
I've still got plants on my porch.

I added Miracle Grow to everything a few weeks ago.  The maple has got a whole new batch of big leaves and a few side trunks growing around the base.  The tomato plants are about two feet tall in a four-gallon pot, but haven't blossomed yet.  The red and green bell-pepper plants (those that survived) are about five inches tall in gallon buckets.  No production from those yet, either.  I've recently planted 60 seeds in peat-pots and Dixie cups (orange and yellow bell peppers, tomatillos, grape tomatoes, habernero peppers, pear seeds, and grapefruit seeds).  Since it's so hot and dry now, I have to keep the peat pots in a thin layer of water in a shallow tray.

This is actually quite fun, and doesn't cost much.

This started last year with the maple, which (as an uprooted sapling) was about to get thrown out with the landscaping waste at place where I volunteer on Sundays.  On a whim, I took it home, buying a pot and a bag of dirt on the way home.  Symbolic, I guess... something to plant in the yard when I finally own my home (or when hell freezes over, whichever comes first).  The pear and grapefruit seeds are just because I've always wanted to try growing a tree from the seed.  The peppers and tomatoes are in hopes of having my own source of fresh produce later this year.

BTW, habernero peppers are something you don't fuck with unless you know what you're doing.  Think jalapeños are hot, they ain't got shit on haberneros.  I use them by boiling a slice or two of habernero with ramen noodles or other soup, to give it some "kick", then I take the habernero slices out and discard them before eating the soup.  You only bite into haberneros if you're bat-shit crazy and enjoy extreme pain.

P7PSP

Re: urban gardening revisited
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 07:26:20 AM »
That's great growing your own vegetables, especially the tomatoes. All the commercial growers fuck them up with that gas to turn them red when they're still not ripe. The hottest peppers I eat with any regularity are the serrano peppers, they are pretty spicy for my taste.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 11:47:17 AM »
I salute anyone that can grow plants in pots.

I can plant things in the yard and they thrive, put stuff in a pot and somehow I kill them.

The only exception was when I grew african violets, they were the only thing that did well for me.

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 08:53:30 PM »
The tomato plants have outgrown their stakes and a couple of them look like they've got some flower buds on them.  That's good.  That means they're almost to the point where they can start producing.  I'll have to get some long wooden dowels to replace the current stakes.  Alot of the stuff in the peat-pots has sprouted, even in the peat-pots where I put pear seeds.  It's too early to tell whether it's pear seedlings or just weeds that came with the potting soil.  Of all the seeds I've planted, about 40% have sprouted.  Still waiting to see if anything happens with the habernero and grapefruit seeds.  Everything else has shown at least some signs of growth.

P7PSP

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 01:07:47 AM »
Outstanding garmonbozia, you'll be eating good while others have to settle for chemically fucked with food. :plus:

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 08:00:29 PM »
Replaced the tomato stakes with 4' wooden dowels as described.  Those were indeed flower buds on them as well as one of the green pepper plants.  Got two habernero seeds and one grapefruit seed to sprout.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 05:22:09 AM »
I have to fix my garden up this weekend and fence it.  Last year my dogs ate my pumpkins and squash :laugh:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 06:13:46 AM »
Pets raiding your garden, too?

Mine's just in a bunch of pots on an apartment balcony, but one of my cats will pull up the sprouts if I don't watch her.  I got the cats one of those "cat grass kits" from Target and that seems to keep their interest off the other plants.

The grapefruit sprout should be interesting to watch.  I've always wanted to grow a tree from the seed.  Of course, if I ever move out of Florida, I'll have to give it away to a friend or co-worker first.  Citrus doesn't survive too far north of Florida.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 07:40:02 AM »
Pets raiding your garden, too?

Mine's just in a bunch of pots on an apartment balcony, but one of my cats will pull up the sprouts if I don't watch her.  I got the cats one of those "cat grass kits" from Target and that seems to keep their interest off the other plants.

The grapefruit sprout should be interesting to watch.  I've always wanted to grow a tree from the seed.  Of course, if I ever move out of Florida, I'll have to give it away to a friend or co-worker first.  Citrus doesn't survive too far north of Florida.

Unless you either moved to California or had a greenhouse.

I have started orange trees from seeds before, but like you said, they don't survive outdoors in the Southeastern US much north of Florida.

When I lived in California, my neighbor had an orange tree and a grapefruit tree with branches that hung over my back yard.

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 12:49:06 PM »
Finally got a flower on one of my tomato plants.  Several more buds to open soon.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 11:57:21 PM »
Finally got a flower on one of my tomato plants.  Several more buds to open soon.

Cool.

I bought two tomato plants, two pumpkin plants, two zucchini plants, and a yellow squash plant, all in little peat pots, and planted them in my small garden.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 07:09:50 PM »
We recently bought three Earthboxes and are giving one to our neighbors. We're planning to grow tomatoes and perhaps strawberries or blueberries. We chose Earthboxes because they are compact yet have high yield potential of veg and fruits.

http://www.earthbox.com/
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 07:11:38 PM by punkdrew »
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

P7PSP

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 10:09:19 PM »
I have to fix my garden up this weekend and fence it.  Last year my dogs ate my pumpkins and squash :laugh:
:lol: My buddy has an American Bulldog that is about 100 lbs and I was visiting and Warren had placed two pumpkins of a green ( when ripe ) variety on his living room floor and his dog Max munched about half of one before he was full. It was hilarious watching him scarf it down. Later Warren told me Max had severe shits and flatulence the next day.

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 01:32:01 PM »
The green pepper plants have produced flowers.  Ants have been climbing up into the flowers.  Are they pollinating or doing damage?

P7PSP

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 03:01:02 PM »
Probably doing damage. I wouldn't trust the fuckers.