Educational

Author Topic: Why is this?  (Read 528 times)

TheoK

Re: Why is this?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 07:00:09 AM »
Bacteria are BRAVE.  8)

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 10:10:49 AM »
All right. I see some valid points, and some things that might be valid, but I still don't agree.

But I disagree with scientists regarding their earth-like only arguments. I hardly consider earth-like as the only possible way for life to form; as it's more about the chemical processes in the conditions than the actual conditions alone that would allow life. I mean life could form on planets with major pressure, temperature, climate, geological, composition and/or radiation differences to Earth, providing the chemical processes are ideal to sustain it.

I admit that from what we know, it seems likely that life needs an earth like planet, but what pisses me off is that a lot of scientists today just can't admit that they still don't know jack shit. And we really don't. As a race, we probably learn hundreds of new things about the universe every day! I'd say theres still quite a bit out there that we should know before imposing labels. And I like your standpoint nexus. But chemical processes that other life needs could differ greatly.

Carbon is the first element that isn't a gas. No wonder if life is primarily based on carbon in whole universe.
Ok lit. I have a question for you. Why? Why does life need to be based off an element thats not a gas? Does it really? Can there be life that is based off gasses?

Goldilocks planet' thinking was semi-excusable back in the 1970's when extremeophiles were largely unknown, but now that we have examples of bacteria living on spent nuclear fuel rods,
Peter, i'm glad you said "goldilocks" planet. Not too hot, not too cold, but juuuust right. AUUGH I wanted to kill every scientist that ever advocated that bullshit when I first heard that!

only the ignorant or stupid should insist that an Earth-like planet is necessary for life.
Damn right man. Why does it HAVE to be earthlike? I want proof.  :evillaugh:
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 10:29:02 PM »
All right. I see some valid points, and some things that might be valid, but I still don't agree.

But I disagree with scientists regarding their earth-like only arguments. I hardly consider earth-like as the only possible way for life to form; as it's more about the chemical processes in the conditions than the actual conditions alone that would allow life. I mean life could form on planets with major pressure, temperature, climate, geological, composition and/or radiation differences to Earth, providing the chemical processes are ideal to sustain it.

I admit that from what we know, it seems likely that life needs an earth like planet, but what pisses me off is that a lot of scientists today just can't admit that they still don't know jack shit. And we really don't. As a race, we probably learn hundreds of new things about the universe every day! I'd say theres still quite a bit out there that we should know before imposing labels. And I like your standpoint nexus. But chemical processes that other life needs could differ greatly.

Well as long as the chemical process exist to sustain a biochemical reaction in conditions suited for it, it doesn't matter what it's composed of really. When I say chemical processes, I mean the way molecular structures interact with each other to obtain, store, utilize and release energy for purposes of sustaining a cellular function and allow self-replication. That doesn't just mean Earth biochemistry, it means any form of possible biochemistry that potentially or actually exists on any world; allowing those vital functions suited for it's environment.

My real argument is more focused on the issue of abundance and efficiency of elements in the universe, dictating what types of life are most probable to exist due to those factors. Also it's interesting to point out that even with having a carbon base, life can still exist in a wide range of environments originally thought uninhabitable, as proven with extremeophiles.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 10:39:21 PM by Nexus »
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 11:50:15 PM »
Nexus.  :clap:

You only argue with facts. I like how you argue about the abundance of certain elements, and the probability factor of life occuring under those conditions. That makes sense. I also like how you admit that life could also occur under any conditions you could imagine, even if it is less probable.

:plus: man.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 10:11:47 PM »

Anyway, speaking of life being possible on other planets, NASA has been detecting methane 'plumes' on Mars, and that's a possible hint of life on Mars:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/science/sciencenews/4243321/Mars-methane-discovery-hints-at-presence-of-life.html

Also it's not the first time hints of life have been considered either, this articles even speculates that they found life on Mars back in the 70's:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/science/sciencenews/3304473/Scientists-found-life-on-Mars-back-in-the-70s.html
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.