Author Topic: Alex Plank is getting sued...  (Read 9072 times)

duncvis

Re: Alex Plank is getting sued...
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2009, 11:38:49 AM »
cultural genocide would imply a) that we have a distinct culture, and that b) there is a deliberate attempt to extinguish it. so it is still bollocks, and the inclusion of the emotive term 'genocide' invites a deliberate comparison with the slaughter of millions. so yes, it is hysterical. And I already know what the term 'cultural genocide' means, ta - do you?

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2009, 11:42:30 AM »
Because we first need to rally our own base, if we can do that then we have some sort of movement. The best way to rally our people is to use their experiences to persuade them and the majority of the people who we can rally are aspies who are going to be more bothered about having been bullied at school for being one, rather than a distant person on the spectrum dying off. Brutal sounding I know, but its more pragmatic.

But lets assume we get the general public rallied around over those killings. What will it actually do about our lives? Not a lot really - there will be some murmurings and then 6 weeks down the line its business as usual.

Yeah, fine job you do of rallying our base, though. The only person who ever gets rallied is Lit, and he does more to hurt the cause than help it, cause he's so easy to write off as a nutcase.
I haven't started anything yet really. Plus I intend to persuade people in person rather than through the internet - its a lot more easier that way.
Alex may be an ass with a crappy website but he's much more politically savvy than anyone here. (Or leeching off his father's savvy, but it doesn't really matter.)
I am reasonably savvy politically - student politics has been reasonably successful for myself.
The murders do make ripples through the spectrum communities, even if they fade quickly.
So we need something else. Ideally I don't particularly want to be waiting around for the pre-natal test to show up.
But if your idea behind protesting bullying is to start local, then probably one of the most helpful things will be to develop your own skills, persistence, and charisma.
Which is why I signed up with a political party recently and have been getting involved.
Which means losing the arrogant sensationalist crap.  :zoinks:
Again look at Tibet - what happens to ourselves by and large is not too dissimilar.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2009, 11:47:06 AM »
cultural genocide would imply a) that we have a distinct culture, and that b) there is a deliberate attempt to extinguish it. so it is still bollocks, and the inclusion of the emotive term 'genocide' invites a deliberate comparison with the slaughter of millions. so yes, it is hysterical. And I already know what the term 'cultural genocide' means, ta - do you?
So ways of thinking, behaving, acting and so on are not parts of culture.

As for the millions of people - yes there are probably millions of people on the spectrum leading some pretty miserable lives thanks to society. There are also quite a fair few killing themselves as a result - might want to include that into your calculations.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2009, 11:49:08 AM »
I haven't started anything yet really.
Great, well, why not? And what qualifies you to dispense ream after ream of advice and even dream that it's accurate or helpful?

Plus I intend to persuade people in person rather than through the internet - its a lot more easier that way.
You intend to convince aspies in person? You think this will somehow work better than the internet, when it's the internet that has led to all the communities and the coming together of the past ten years?

How?

Which is why I signed up with a political party recently and have been getting involved.
Cool.

Again look at Tibet - what happens to ourselves by and large is not too dissimilar.
This is meaningless. Your abrasive and alienating demeanor has nothing to do with Tibet.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

TheoK

« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2009, 11:53:47 AM »
People are stupid. They whine when "Palestinians" are shot back at in Israel but they don't react when Aspies are being culturally, economically and socially murdered in their own countries.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2009, 11:56:08 AM »
Cultural genocide? Care to elaborate?
I don't really have time to write an essay, but I am happy to sketch it out. Essentially what we have here is a group of people (ourselves) are forced to behave in a certain manner that we would otherwise would not by NT society and their bullying / browbeating. I really don't need to go further, I am sure Lit will be more direct here.

Do you know what "genocide" means?
Tibet.

Try again.
Check out what "cultural genocide" means - its different to plain vanilla "genocide".

OK. Let's use Wikipedia's definition:

Cultural genocide is a term used to describe the deliberate destruction of the cultural heritage of a people or nation for political, military, religious, ideological, ethnical, or racial reasons.

Care to try again? Or explain why you think there is a *deliberate* action going on to destroy our "cultural heritage". Then explain what our cultural heritage is.

You're not going to be taken seriously unless you can demonstrate at least a basic coherency here, you know.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

duncvis

« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2009, 11:56:24 AM »
So ways of thinking, behaving, acting and so on are not parts of culture.

As for the millions of people - yes there are probably millions of people on the spectrum leading some pretty miserable lives thanks to society. There are also quite a fair few killing themselves as a result - might want to include that into your calculations.

We have no uniformly distinct ways of thinking, behaving, acting and so on - I like the expression someone used, 'if you've met one aspie, you've seen... one aspie'. we have no shared belief, heritage, way of life, etc, which would fairly be characterised as culture. All we share are some coping mechanisms and difficulties/differences in cognition and sensory processing. Hardly a culture.

And I see you completely ignored addressing the word 'deliberate', even if one were to accept at face value the prospect of millions of miserable autistics, whose misery were caused by society and not in part by the difficulties posed by their disability in acheiving their personal objectives (e.g. romance, sustainable employment).

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2009, 11:57:07 AM »
I haven't started anything yet really.
Great, well, why not?
Age or lack of it. Plus before I set down on such a path I want to be fully prepared.
And what qualifies you to dispense ream after ream of advice and even dream that it's accurate or helpful?
I get enough people asking for my own advice on various things already.
Plus I intend to persuade people in person rather than through the internet - its a lot more easier that way.
You intend to convince aspies in person? You think this will somehow work better than the internet, when it's the internet that has led to all the communities and the coming together of the past ten years?

How?
Subtlely pointing them in the right direction, a quiet word in the ear to look up a few well chosen things and then come back and ask for more. The internet has an obvious flaw in that its in general an awful lot harder to persuade people of things than in person. Plus to actually achieve anything meaningful, we need a physical offline movement, so its easier to build it offline (using the internet perhaps as a media tool).
Cool.

This is meaningless. Your abrasive and alienating demeanor has nothing to do with Tibet.
The cultural genocide argument does.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2009, 11:57:23 AM »
I don't really have time to write an essay, but I am happy to sketch it out. Essentially what we have here is a group of people (ourselves) are forced to behave in a certain manner that we would otherwise would not by NT society and their bullying / browbeating. I really don't need to go further, I am sure Lit will be more direct here.

Why don't you focus on the places where people are actually being killed?

The general public is not going to take seriously a trumped up bullying accusation by a resentful young man calling it a genocide.
Because we first need to rally our own base, if we can do that then we have some sort of movement. The best way to rally our people is to use their experiences to persuade them and the majority of the people who we can rally are aspies who are going to be more bothered about having been bullied at school for being one, rather than a distant person on the spectrum dying off. Brutal sounding I know, but its more pragmatic.

But lets assume we get the general public rallied around over those killings. What will it actually do about our lives? Not a lot really - there will be some murmurings and then 6 weeks down the line its business as usual.

Let's face it. Neither you nor Lit have enough credibility to speak for any cause, let alone "our" cause.

We'll see about that. I have a friend in the Attention movement.

<sarcasm>Ah, yes. Their impact in our society has been considerable. </sarcasm>
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

duncvis

« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2009, 11:59:30 AM »
what the fuck is the attention movement? ???

TheoK

« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2009, 11:59:43 AM »

We have no uniformly distinct ways of thinking, behaving, acting and so on - I like the expression someone used, 'if you've met one aspie, you've seen... one aspie'. we have no shared belief, heritage, way of life, etc, which would fairly be characterised as culture. All we share are some coping mechanisms and difficulties/differences in cognition and sensory processing. Hardly a culture.

If worshipping an illiterate pedophile "prophet" is a culture, then it's also a culture to want to be left on your own, to have obsessions, to be shy, to have difficulties to "socialize" etc etc.

duncvis

« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2009, 11:59:58 AM »
 :hahaha:

it isn't a culture. its a variable (dependent on personality) response to neurological difference.

TheoK

« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2009, 12:00:58 PM »
what the fuck is the attention movement? ???

A Swedish Aspie/ADHD etc movement.

TheoK

« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2009, 12:01:28 PM »
:hahaha:

it isn't a culture. its a variable (dependent on personality) response to neurological difference.

And Islam isn't a culture, it's superstition.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2009, 12:03:48 PM »
Age or lack of it. Plus before I set down on such a path I want to be fully prepared.
Age isn't stopping Alex. If anyone is going to compete with him, they can't wait.

I get enough people asking for my own advice on various things already.
Not here online, you don't. Even if your persuasive skills are somehow much better in person than online (I don't know, but I could buy it), surely it makes more sense to change your technique once you're in an environment where it's no longer working.

Subtlely pointing them in the right direction, a quiet word in the ear to look up a few well chosen things and then come back and ask for more. The internet has an obvious flaw in that its in general an awful lot harder to persuade people of things than in person. Plus to actually achieve anything meaningful, we need a physical offline movement, so its easier to build it offline (using the internet perhaps as a media tool).
Well, good luck finding enough aspies congregated in one area to make it work. How many have you found at your college? How well are they organized?

The cultural genocide argument does.
Well, sorry to say, but I'm not going to call what's happening to autistics a cultural genocide, and no amount of repeating the argument will change that.
But this is part of how you go wrong - thinking that if you just keep saying the same thing, you'll eventually be listened to, long after people have written you off and you're wasting your breath on idiots who like to poke buttons just for the trolling thrill. You've got to make more attempt to meet people on their own ground.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.