Educational

Author Topic: blast from the past - new info on a bad teacher I hate, decades later  (Read 8633 times)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: blast from the past - new info on a bad teacher I hate, decades later
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2008, 08:15:40 PM »
Well I would not abuse children (unless someone has the sense to bring back the cane - then I might give the dimmer ones a whack so they actually learn their timestables), but I would focus on making sure the brighter kids in my class get through as opposed the dimmer ones.
Why is this? Shouldn't they all be treated equal?
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2008, 08:46:17 PM »
i had a blast from the past the other day.  i met an old student of mine (she was 10-11 when i taught her), who had severe behavioural problems.  she recognised me, and was really enthusiastic about talking to me, which my ex-students always seem to be.

she'd been kicked out of home and was living rough, or sleeping on the floor of various friends.  (she's 18 now).  anyway, i chatted to her for a bit, and bought her breakfast as she had no money.

it unsettled me a little, though - i wondered if i was being taken for a ride.  sometimes, i can be too trusting.  typical aspie, i s'pose.   :-\
Vivi - my old teachers would do well more than that for me - if anything they owe my a drink!

Offline Pissgai

• King of The Damned
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Button Pusher
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2008, 09:14:59 AM »
That teacher should not have been teaching anyone.

My daughter had a bad teacher when she was in second grade, too.  She put soap in her mouth and she put her hands around my daughter's neck and squeezed until my daughter couldn't breathe.

W.T.F.?!?!?!  :o

It gets worse.  This woman is still a teacher at the same school where she abused my daughter.  It was my daughter's word against the word of a special education teacher, and of course she denied doing any of it.  My daughter told me at school that "Mrs. C put her hands on my neck," and she had marks on her neck.  When we got home I had her show me with a rag doll how it happened and she demonstrated.  I went to school with her for the rest of the year after it happened and then we were able to get my daughter away from that school after the school year ended.

That teacher is a fucking nazi. Sick in the head.
I'm here to fuck you up. :P

Member of the Triumvirate.

Offline choccybiccy

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2008, 10:20:36 AM »

My daughter had a bad teacher when she was in second grade, too.  She put soap in her mouth and she put her hands around my daughter's neck and squeezed until my daughter couldn't breathe.

It gets worse.  This woman is still a teacher at the same school where she abused my daughter.  It was my daughter's word against the word of a special education teacher, and of course she denied doing any of it.  My daughter told me at school that "Mrs. C put her hands on my neck," and she had marks on her neck.  When we got home I had her show me with a rag doll how it happened and she demonstrated.  I went to school with her for the rest of the year after it happened and then we were able to get my daughter away from that school after the school year ended.

Messed up. When I was in high school a teacher dragged me by the back of my shirt collar and tie to the point where I couldn't breath, just because I walked away from him when he called after me after an incident between me and some other student. Fucking arsehole.

When it comes to the teachers word against and a young autistic student, they fail to realise that autistic children don't have the same creativity as other children when it comes to making up stories about what the teacher may or may not have done. We always pointed that out when it came to situations like that with our kids.

I know.  We pointed out that our daughter did not lie, but going to court would have been very difficult for her and the teacher almost definitely would still have gotten away with it.  Sometimes I wonder whether we did the right thing not to pursue that course of action, but I think that is a big part of the reason my daughter is attending an expensive private school for autistic children rather than the public school with more ignorant people who are incapable of handling her.  That special education teacher knew next to nothing about autistic children and her experience was from the Juvenile Justice system.  She did pursue a little training after we got our daughter away from her, so I hope she did not abuse any more autistic children.  I did warn the principal and other parents of autistic children who dealt with her to keep a close watch on her.

At my daughters old school they got out of the fact that she wouldn't lie by constantly going on about her "perception of situations". I told the autism support team (team? it was one lady!) that I was not happy about this at all but she still went ahead and wrote the report that way just because she took a dislike to me. I still have to deal with her now and be nice >:(

I found that the autism support team were there to support the school and not my daughter.
Womma entity

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2008, 02:12:29 PM »

Messed up. When I was in high school a teacher dragged me by the back of my shirt collar and tie to the point where I couldn't breath, just because I walked away from him when he called after me after an incident between me and some other student. Fucking arsehole.

When it comes to the teachers word against and a young autistic student, they fail to realise that autistic children don't have the same creativity as other children when it comes to making up stories about what the teacher may or may not have done. We always pointed that out when it came to situations like that with our kids.

I know.  We pointed out that our daughter did not lie, but going to court would have been very difficult for her and the teacher almost definitely would still have gotten away with it.  Sometimes I wonder whether we did the right thing not to pursue that course of action, but I think that is a big part of the reason my daughter is attending an expensive private school for autistic children rather than the public school with more ignorant people who are incapable of handling her.  That special education teacher knew next to nothing about autistic children and her experience was from the Juvenile Justice system.  She did pursue a little training after we got our daughter away from her, so I hope she did not abuse any more autistic children.  I did warn the principal and other parents of autistic children who dealt with her to keep a close watch on her.

At my daughters old school they got out of the fact that she wouldn't lie by constantly going on about her "perception of situations". I told the autism support team (team? it was one lady!) that I was not happy about this at all but she still went ahead and wrote the report that way just because she took a dislike to me. I still have to deal with her now and be nice >:(

I found that the autism support team were there to support the school and not my daughter.

Was it actually on her IEP?  Because if it was, you could consider not signing it unless it was changed.

I hear you with the having to deal with teachers and be nice to them.  I actually hemmed the special education teacher's daughter's prom dress, but of course that was before the teacher choked my daughter.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2008, 10:28:03 PM »
A teacher is a loser by default, at least below university.  :(

I've heard that a lot of teachers only ended up in that position because they failed everything else at university and teaching has the lowest requirements. Therefore they hate themselves and they hate their job and take it out on the kids.

Sadly, I think that theory is quite correct.

Not all some like working with kids.  Also in CT you have to have a B or better average and get a Masters degree within 5 years of  starting and then there is the extra  tests.  Not to say there are some bitter nasty stupid one who should quit out there

No, not all teachers are like that. You have your average ones and you also have your handful of really good ones.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2008, 02:26:11 AM »
i think it's really sad that you've all had such bad experiences.  in my experience, having worked with hundreds of teachers, the case is more that there are a few really awful ones, the majority are good, and a substantial minority are superb.

or perhaps it's different in the UK.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2008, 09:17:41 AM »
I dunno, I guess in the bad teacher category I include actively bad teachers and inactively bad teachers who just don't give a fuck.

And yes, it is sad, considering that these teachers are helping shape the youth of today into adults and parents who have a low opinion of teachers. I'm sure it doesn't make it any easier for you.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2008, 11:49:06 AM »
Well I would not abuse children (unless someone has the sense to bring back the cane - then I might give the dimmer ones a whack so they actually learn their timestables), but I would focus on making sure the brighter kids in my class get through as opposed the dimmer ones.
Teaching the brighter kids means the whole class learns. Teaching the dimmer kids means that the ones who actually have any potential get left behind. Its better to have some succeed than to have none succeed.

TheoK

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2008, 12:12:29 PM »
Teaching the brighter kids means the whole class learns. Teaching the dimmer kids means that the ones who actually have any potential get left behind. Its better to have some succeed than to have none succeed.

They will kick you out of the party if they read this. Fascist.  8)

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2008, 12:17:23 PM »

er, don't make any plans for becoming a teacher, hadron, if you really think this.

Offline choccybiccy

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2008, 12:42:00 PM »
 :laugh: That's such a teacher style comment
Womma entity

TheoK

« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2008, 12:58:28 PM »

er, don't make any plans for becoming a teacher, hadron, if you really think this.

Why? He's 100% right. The dumb ones are usually not interested in learning either.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2008, 01:36:56 PM »
:laugh: That's such a teacher style comment

just as well i was one for 20+ years then.

Why? He's 100% right. The dumb ones are usually not interested in learning either.

shows how little you know about teaching.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2008, 01:59:15 PM »

Depends which school I am thinking of teaching in. In order to bring a school up having some pass as opposed to none passing is a good start - starting with the weaker kids is never going to succeed. Of course having the brighter kids succeed means that the dimmer ones have a better chance too.