Educational

Author Topic: InCD. WTF!?  (Read 297 times)

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
InCD. WTF!?
« on: November 21, 2008, 05:36:26 PM »
I recently bought a surplus computer.  The thing's a bit old but it does have a Pentium 4 and Windows XP.  I replaced its plain CD-ROM drive with a DVD burner.  The burner is an HP and came with Nero Essentials, so I installed that.  Looks like it included an app called InCD.  I don't like this InCD because every time I put a CD in there, a window pops up saying it's mounting the disk as read-only.  Well, no shit!  I would hope it's read-only if I've already burned and closed out the disk.  It has offered to reformat optical disks.  I haven't yet had occasion to burn a disk in this new burner, but I get the impression that InCD is going to pop up and annoy me when I'm trying to use Nero.  To the best of my knowledge, InCD is for use with DVD-RAM, which I don't use.  (I use CD-R, DVD+R, and DVD-R, and when I finish burning a disk, I consider it final.)

Basically, InCD looks like a redundant source of annoyance and seems to have the potential to fuck up a disk if I accidentally click the wrong button.

Does anyone else here know anything about it?  Is it possible to uninstall Nero, and then re-install it without InCD (custom install instead of typical)?

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: InCD. WTF!?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 06:06:34 PM »
I remember it being more of a hassle than a help with the way I burned CDs.

I also remember it being an option during install. I'm not sure if you can remove just that component or not, but I do remember on my old Nero Version 6. (something) That I could choose NOT to install the function.

If I can remember it functions like the "auto detect/auto play" in an updated Xp machine with no burning software installed. It watches for a writable disc to be installed, then automatically launches the burning software built into Windows.

I hate that crap. Hell, I don't even want explorer.exe to look at my optical drives unless I tell it to, let ALONE offer to "help."

I would probably uninstall Nero, restart and re-install, but watch for the chance to open "advanced options"  or what ever they call it, rather than typical or default installation.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 06:14:09 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 06:11:56 PM »

You might try to disable it with your current installation, but it's been too long since I used Nero to remember how to to that or if it's possible.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 06:14:39 PM »
InCD lets you drag & drop files and basically save shit from the CD/DVD like you would to the hard drive. I believe I did a custom install and was able to skip it, can't remember.

You can try removing it. Check this thread out, scroll down to the last post:

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How-Do-I-Uninstall-InCD-Properly-t196527.html

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 03:56:50 AM »
Piss that InCD shit off as fast as you can, it's no good at all. You can already just drop files onto a cd with things like XP, dunno what other O/S's let you do that.

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 07:34:44 PM »
I uninstalled and reinstalled Nero, this time without InCD.  Had to do a custom reinstall and find InCD in the checklist.

Also, if you don't watch it, Nero will make itself the default viewer for pretty much all your image, video, and sound files.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 09:54:25 PM »
I uninstalled and reinstalled Nero, this time without InCD.  Had to do a custom reinstall and find InCD in the checklist.

Also, if you don't watch it, Nero will make itself the default viewer for pretty much all your image, video, and sound files.

Don't you just love programs that think that they are the most important thing in the universe that you have installed and think you would just love for it to be the default viewer for every god damn thing?

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 01:15:10 AM »
Something has stuffed up my pictures and now I can't edit in paintbox and can't get anything to upload on Photobucket. I can still edit things on Picasa though.