Author Topic: The United States of America are...German!  (Read 6415 times)

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: The United States of America are...German!
« Reply #150 on: November 24, 2008, 06:27:05 PM »
I always thought that the majority of the USA had British ancestry, especially the states in the north and east. Now it turns out that most of the whole country has German ancestry. Even Florida and Alaska are mostly inhabitated by people of German descent.

Though there seems to be some logical mistake. People can't be of European and "American" descent at the same time, except for the natives of course, but they already have their own place on this map.

Weirdly enough, there are no Swedes on the map. More than 10 million Swedes have moved to the USA. That's more than the whole population of Sweden today. Either they're confused with Norwegians or don't look at themselves as Swedes anymore.

This map represents a plurality (not a majority) of people in each county or parish in the US who self-identify with ancestry from a particular country in the 2000 census.

So, even though 10 million Swedes moved to America, they must have scattered and assimilated rather than congregating in particular counties.

Also, a great number of Americans are of mixed ancestry, like me and my husband, for example.  I'm of mostly British ancestry, with some Cherokee, and he's of mostly British, German, Swiss, Norman, and Cherokee ancestry, and his surname is Anglicized from the name of a Viking settlement in England.  I think we told the census taker just American, after we explained the complexity of the actual situation.

TheoK

« Reply #151 on: November 24, 2008, 06:45:25 PM »
Not a majority, no, but as I understand it there are more people identifying themselves as Germans than any other group. So, for instance, if there are 33% people of German ancestry in a county, there is no other single group with a higher %-age than 33 in that district, right?

I think most Swedes identify themselves as "Americans". There are some almost pure Swedish towns in Minnesota, but they might still view themselves as Americans.

And Callaway also knows how to spell anglicized, as opposed to the "PhD" and the Moomintroll. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 08:04:41 PM by TheoK »

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #152 on: November 24, 2008, 06:52:38 PM »
I see Myself as Danish more than German or English in the end.
Guardian of the Empire

duncvis

« Reply #153 on: November 24, 2008, 06:55:29 PM »
I'm courageous. Building "road sign busters" in the kitchen isn't exactly riskless.

What exactly are "road sign busters"?

Like ghostbusters, but without the cool outfits and catchy theme tune.

TheoK

« Reply #154 on: November 24, 2008, 06:57:08 PM »
I see Myself as Danish more than German or English in the end.

Danes are good people. They love beer and cigars and aren't that politically correct as the Swedes.  :)

TheoK

« Reply #155 on: November 24, 2008, 06:58:28 PM »
I'm courageous. Building "road sign busters" in the kitchen isn't exactly riskless.

Depends. They're usually black on the outside and the "tune" is like that of a stick of dynamite... :evillaugh:

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #156 on: November 24, 2008, 11:12:40 PM »
Not a majority, no, but as I understand it there are more people identifying themselves as Germans than any other group. So, for instance, if there are 33% people of German ancestry in a county, there is no other single group with a higher %-age than 33 in that district, right?

I think most Swedes identify themselves as "Americans". There are some almost pure Swedish towns in Minnesota, but they might still view themselves as Americans.

And Callaway also knows how to spell anglicized, as opposed to the "PhD" and the Moomintroll. 

Yes, as I understand it, you are right.

I think that you and I spell words such as "Anglicized" the American way while Lucifer and Odeon are spelling them the British way, so we are all correct.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #157 on: November 25, 2008, 02:34:24 AM »

:LMAO:   :plus:

what about the giant marshmallow monster?

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #158 on: November 25, 2008, 03:00:54 AM »
I think that you and I spell words such as "Anglicized" the American way while Lucifer and Odeon are spelling them the British way, so we are all correct.

Funny how you know it, I know it, and the "PhD" knows it, but Lit doesn't.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #159 on: November 25, 2008, 03:09:51 AM »
American spelling is actually often more etymologically correct than the British, since it's often older. British English surely will be even more simplified in the future so that the Arabs will learn it faster.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 03:42:25 AM by TheoK »

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #160 on: November 25, 2008, 03:31:45 AM »
american english rocks. :headbang2:
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

TheoK

« Reply #161 on: November 25, 2008, 03:42:01 AM »
The land of the free...and the home of the BRAVE!  :arrr:

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #162 on: December 01, 2008, 07:33:11 AM »
Den vapenvägrande "liberale" finnen som röstade på ett parti som införde en avlyssningslag som Stalin skulle avundas Sverige skriver däremot alltid läsvärt och, framförallt, ärligt.

So easy to reduce you to this. Poor Lit; do you think posting in Swedish here makes you special?

::)
the hockey helmet and short bus is what makes him special
Misunderstood.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #163 on: December 01, 2008, 03:04:31 PM »

Don't forget that the resident high school drop-out also knows "it."

No, I have not bothered to publicise my (tested on numerous occasions) IQ, but I look at some of those who have repeatedly claxoned from upon high mount, chorus after chorus of proclamation supporting their assertions of superior intelligence and I begin to feel quite enabled. Please, keep up the trumpeting, as it continually re-builds my sprained ego.

Thank you. All of you.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 03:06:28 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #164 on: December 01, 2008, 03:40:35 PM »

Don't forget that the resident high school drop-out also knows "it."

No, I have not bothered to publicise my (tested on numerous occasions) IQ, but I look at some of those who have repeatedly claxoned from upon high mount, chorus after chorus of proclamation supporting their assertions of superior intelligence and I begin to feel quite enabled. Please, keep up the trumpeting, as it continually re-builds my sprained ego.

Thank you. All of you.

:laugh:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein