Author Topic: OBAMA WINS  (Read 9899 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: OBAMA WINS
« Reply #255 on: November 23, 2008, 05:44:40 PM »
"1 well-organized socially with a very developed culture and way of life: the civilized world * rising crime in our so-called civilized societies * civilized peoples
2 having laws and customs that are fair and morally acceptable: No civilized country should allow such terrible injustices.
3 having or showing polite and reasonable behaviour: We couldn’t even have a civilized conversation any more.
4 typical of a comfortable and pleasant way of life: Breakfast on the terrace—how civilized! * Let’s go somewhere civilized and have a meal. opp uncivilized"

Why do they spell all examples with "z", if they don't think that should be the first choice of spelling? odeon is dishonest even when it comes to something as simple as spelling, if he thinks he can ridicule someone.

They use one for the sake of clarity, often the editor's preference (quite a few quote Fowler but quickly add that both are acceptable). To use more than one would be redundant to anyone (but you) since they point out the alternative--and correct--spellings right from the start. They avoid stating an actual preference, however, since that is usually left to the individual user and context.

See, if you are a writer and want to write for a magazine, or perhaps write a book for a publisher, their respective style guides will decide which spelling to use. Sometimes they'll point at whatever is accepted by OED or M-W, but more often they'll follow a best practice that depends on where and for whom they publish. In the UK there is a strong preference for "ise" in daily papers and magazines with a UK readership, but "ize" can be perfectly acceptable when writing for a larger publisher or a magazine, especially ones also sold across the Atlantic.

You really don't know much about this, do you?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #256 on: November 23, 2008, 05:45:10 PM »
Civilized

Webster's too prefers "civilized".

duncvis

« Reply #257 on: November 23, 2008, 05:48:56 PM »
this is now officially the most petty thread ever. I award this discussion the Golden Pedant.  :hadron:

TheoK

« Reply #258 on: November 23, 2008, 05:49:27 PM »
"1 well-organized socially with a very developed culture and way of life: the civilized world * rising crime in our so-called civilized societies * civilized peoples
2 having laws and customs that are fair and morally acceptable: No civilized country should allow such terrible injustices.
3 having or showing polite and reasonable behaviour: We couldn’t even have a civilized conversation any more.
4 typical of a comfortable and pleasant way of life: Breakfast on the terrace—how civilized! * Let’s go somewhere civilized and have a meal. opp uncivilized"

Why do they spell all examples with "z", if they don't think that should be the first choice of spelling? odeon is dishonest even when it comes to something as simple as spelling, if he thinks he can ridicule someone.

They use one for the sake of clarity, often the editor's preference (quite a few quote Fowler but quickly add that both are acceptable). To use more than one would be redundant to anyone (but you) since they point out the alternative--and correct--spellings right from the start. They avoid stating an actual preference, however, since that is usually left to the individual user and context.

See, if you are a writer and want to write for a magazine, or perhaps write a book for a publisher, their respective style guides will decide which spelling to use. Sometimes they'll point at whatever is accepted by OED or M-W, but more often they'll follow a best practice that depends on where and for whom they publish. In the UK there is a strong preference for "ise" in daily papers and magazines with a UK readership, but "ize" can be perfectly acceptable when writing for a larger publisher or a magazine, especially ones also sold across the Atlantic.

You really don't know much about this, do you?

I would never write anything for someone who tried to impose an incorrect spelling on my works. And before you say that that would never happen: there are writings from me out on the net, though they are translations from English to Swedish, not the other way around.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #259 on: November 23, 2008, 05:52:28 PM »
The -ize spelling is the correct, considering the roots of the word. It's as simple as that the German and Danish spelling "Benzin" (after Carl Benz) is correct and the Swedish and Norwegian spelling "bensin" is ethymologically wrong.

Etymologically (without the "h") speaking, you're barking up the wrong tree. The subject at hand predates Carl Benz. For example, "civilise" is from the French "civiliser" (note the "s"), which in turn is from the Latin "civilis" (again note the "s").
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #260 on: November 23, 2008, 05:54:18 PM »
this is now officially the most petty thread ever. I award this discussion the Golden Pedant.  :hadron:

Yay! ;D

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #261 on: November 23, 2008, 06:00:17 PM »
The -ize spelling is the correct, considering the roots of the word. It's as simple as that the German and Danish spelling "Benzin" (after Carl Benz) is correct and the Swedish and Norwegian spelling "bensin" is ethymologically wrong.

Etymologically (without the "h") speaking, you're barking up the wrong tree. The subject at hand predates Carl Benz. For example, "civilise" is from the French "civiliser" (note the "s"), which in turn is from the Latin "civilis" (again note the "s").

The Spaniards spell "civilize" "civilizar", with a "z" and their language is closer related to the Latin than the French. I see that "etymology" should be spelled without an "h", though, since it doesn't come from "ethos" or "ethnos" but from "etymos"; "true".

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #262 on: December 01, 2008, 07:35:35 AM »
why is everybody picking on theo?
Misunderstood.

TheoK

« Reply #263 on: December 01, 2008, 07:37:04 AM »
Becasue they are cowards and Moomintrolls.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #264 on: December 01, 2008, 07:39:57 AM »
i think that it is because they have a secret crush on you.
Misunderstood.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #265 on: December 01, 2008, 09:32:14 AM »
I wasn't actually picking on him. I just strongly disagree with his views and I was extremely surprised to find out he was older than me.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

TheoK

« Reply #266 on: December 01, 2008, 09:41:00 AM »
 :lol:

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #267 on: December 01, 2008, 01:18:57 PM »
i think that it is because they have a secret crush on you.

i have, definitely.  only it involves boulders rather than infatuation.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #268 on: December 01, 2008, 02:50:43 PM »
why is everybody picking on theo?

No one is picking on him. He dealt some of us in to a game of spelling and English grammar. (counting the score? Anyone?) The hand I played was from his deal. I have not cheated.

I will win, though, simply by drawing cards against his arrogance.

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

TheoK

« Reply #269 on: December 01, 2008, 02:53:04 PM »
z