Educational

Author Topic: Strange Phobias - My fear of rainbows  (Read 9044 times)

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
Re: Strange Phobias - My fear of rainbows
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2013, 12:33:00 PM »
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2013, 01:11:31 PM »
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2013, 07:15:21 AM »
Unicorns apparently shit and puke rainbows. Then there is Nyan Cat:
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2016, 08:51:34 AM »
I remember when I was around 5 I was scared to death of those self-flush toilets.  :zombiefuck:

Offline Bastet

• Psychotic Mentally Deficient Deranged Bitch
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • MeOW!
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2019, 09:23:46 PM »
I remember when I was around 5 I was scared to death of those self-flush toilets.  :zombiefuck:

I'm still afraid of them, not because they will injure me, but because I may get something I love fall and flush down he toilet never to see it again. I'm super careful with my belongings near those types of toilets. The toilets that clean your butt and vagina with a water stream I used in Japan and Korea were awesome. Not a spot on the toilet paper.
:kitten: OBSESSIVE AILUROPHILE :kitten:

It is far better for people to hate you for doing the right thing than for people to love you for doing the wrong thing. Never ever forget that.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2019, 09:51:26 PM »
I'm scared of the garbage disposals that Americans have in their kitchens. I'm amazed that there aren't a lot more people walking around with missing fingers or hands.

I'm a little scared of spiders. Just like Americans have tornado drills at school and sometimes grow up scared of bad weather, we used to have a spider expert come around every year and teach us about the spiders that could kill us and what to do when we got bitten. A great way to produce a generation of kids with arachnophobia. It didn't always have the desired effect, one of my friends used to carry a deadly redback around in a matchbox, and take it out on a regular basis to tease it and make it try to bite him. Nobody did that with funnel web spiders, we were all well scared of those.

Stairs, I really don't like them.

My daughter is terrified of crabs. Mostly the little ones like soldier crabs.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2019, 06:41:29 AM »
I'm scared of the garbage disposals that Americans have in their kitchens. I'm amazed that there aren't a lot more people walking around with missing fingers or hands.

We lost a few knives to them.

Those things are worse than useless though. You basically can't put anything through them that you couldn't
send down the drain anyhow, without it gunking the machinery up eventually.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2019, 06:59:51 AM »
I saw a horror movie once where someone had their hand forced down a garbage disposal. It was pretty grisly. I bet that has happened in real life.

We have dishwashers here but I've never lived in a place that's had one.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2019, 07:54:40 PM »
We had one when I was a teenager. But it had a safety mechanism where you can't stick your hand down it. I'm sure if you tried to put a safety mechanism on a garbage disposal in the US someone would say something silly starting with "garbage disposals don't kill people....".

I remember on the TV series "Heroes" where that cute cheerleader who married the enormous Russian boxer (Hayden Panettierre, can't be bothered to look up the correct spelling) dropped her ring down a garbage disposal and tried to grab it. It made a mess of her hand, but she had super self-healing (luckily). I nearly did the same thing once in the US, caught myself just in time.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2019, 02:46:42 AM »
Whenever I hear people talking about 'deadly black widow spiders' (by that, I mean the genus Latrodectus in general, any of the true widows), it's true the bite is HORRENDOUS, and it hurts like a motherfucker, all over, there isn't a muscle in your body that doesn't get pushed passed the point of screaming, and towards begging for death, but it isn't likely to actually kill anyone, unless they are already sick, very young or very old and go untreated, a healthy person is very unlikely to die in this day and age from the venom, whilst alpha-latrotoxin is on a weight for weight basis, considerably more lethal than that of at least some of the cobra snakes, they have tiny, tiny fangs and not very much OF it. And besides, given the invention of antisera raised against Latrodectus venom (which is probably polyvalent among any of the true widow spider genus), there is very little reason anyone ought to die from a bite, suffer, yes, been there, done that, but die? no.

And the primary defense instinct is to run and hide, it's only in extremis when they will bite a human, generally if undetected in clothing or bedding and pressed against the skin. Or, as I found out, at least in Latrodectus geometricus, brown widow, the females seem to get PISSY when they've just laid eggs.

Even a country isolated and unable to administer antisera against the venom of Latros, you'd have to be pretty badly fucked already to be at serious risk.

They don't really GET pissed off, most Araneomorph spiders don't seem to have that bad of a temperament, even Sicariius spp. have been reported as relatively docile in captivity (if one DOES bite you, you are SO fucked, they are related to the recluse spiders, but the spiders are MUCH bigger, perhaps the size of a red-kneed tarantula, but a lot flatter of build, and their venom is similarly based on sphingomyelinase-D, and acts as a flesh-rotting cytotoxin, and quite likely the deadliest spider known to science in terms of venom weight lethal dosage, and definitely nastier, at least if one recovers from most spider bites, there aren't likely to be permanent sequelae, but necrotizing toxins that destroy flesh, are just nasty.)

It's the big Mygalomorphs that seem to be the pissy ones (Araneomorph and Mygalomorph refer to fang orientation, the former, exemplified by widows, recluse spiders, orb-weavers have jaws that come together like a pair of sideways-oriented pincers, the latter have generally larger builds, and downward-stabbing fangs that are oriented like a pair of downwards-thrusting daggers, like funnelwebs (Atrax, Hadronyche and....fuckin' buggrit...Al, Ren, MOSW, what was that recently discovered third tribe of Hexathelidae funnelwebs in oz? discovered a few years ago, not too long back, can't for the LIFE of me recall the damn family name, and no, I do NOT mean Missulena) Very aboriginal-linguistically leaning binomial name for the family. And same sort of fang configuration as the Mesothelids, very, very primitive, non-venomous sister group of spiders, perhaps dating back to when spider and scorpion lineages first diverged, given they are the only group to retain segmentation of the abdomen, although reduced to a series of plates.

MOST araneomorph spiders tend either to be small, or fairly docile, or else non-hazardous to humans, main exceptions being Phoneutria (brazillian wandering spider), which have both a potentially deadly bite and a near legendary mental-case temper, and the Sicariids (Loxosceles, Sicarius) with their virulently necrotic venom, the chilean recluse, L.laeta is apparently particularly toxic, and fatalities have occurred after bites from L.laeta, whilst their Sicarius relatives, are thought to considerably outdo the native ozzy spiders in terms of sheer 'you are royally fucked' if you get bitten, AFAIK no antivenom is available, they are not noted to be severely bad-tempered.

(Note-recent reclassification of many of the genus Sicarius sensu stricto, has resulted in the removal to a separate genus, Hexopthalma, which appears to be the sub-group containing large Sicariids with highly potent necrotizing venom.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2019, 03:34:13 AM »
I've several times seen Brazilian wandering spiders classified as the most deadly spider in the world, and Sydney funnel webs classified as the second deadliest spider in the world. Sydney funnel webs tend to be very aggressive but they make a lot of dry bites because they drip their venom onto their fangs rather than inject. I was reading about a woman recently bitten on the chest by a Sydney funnel web spider, and it wasn't a dry bite. Even with an ambulance called straight away and plenty of antivenom available and administered, they nearly lost her. But you're pretty safe in general, just get a pressure bandage on it and get to a hospital asap.

Here is an article on the new one they found in Tasmania:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-13/new-species-of-funnel-web-found-in-northern-tasmania/8441740

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2019, 04:23:08 AM »
Sicariid venom is MUCH nastier stuff. There IS an antivenin raised against Loxosceles venom (recluse), which ought to be polyvalent against Sicariid venoms in general.

BUT...it's made in brazil, and one needs to administer it within 12 hours, for a bite by the six-eyed sand crab spiders until recently classified as Sicarius, unlike most spider venoms, which rely on a neurotoxic venom, often ion-channel modulators that shift the desensitisation kinetics, or fuck with the resting potential for voltage-gated sodium channels, forcing the voltage-gated Na+ channels to depolarize at their natural resting voltage, for example, and locking them in an open-conductance state, causing parasympathetic hyperstimulation, as with Atrax/Hadronyche in delta-atraxotoxin, versutoxin, and missulenatoxin from the mouse spiders works in the same way.

These spiders, the Sicarius spp. (I'm using the old nomenclature, as it was only changed VERY recently to reassign S.hahnii and others to a third family within the Sicariid clade), the antivenom for a recluse bite needs to be given rapidly, these buggers live out in the middle of nowhere, usually, although they seem to be ending up in the pet trade too, apparently not too aggressive, but extremely hard to spot in a tank, as they camouflage themselves with sand and dig in, and they are lightening quick if they feel like it.

People aren't too likely to be bitten, but if it DOES happen, it really isn't pretty. Basically flays the victim alive, whilst causing their red blood cells to lyse and muscle tissue to break down, trashing the kidneys in the process, and progressing to DIC, the venom nature, is very similar to recluse venom, but the concentration of the flesh-rotting sphingomyelinase-D is orders of magnitude above what any Loxosceles species produces, and they are bigger spiders and can deliver a lot more of it.

Systemic involvement in recluse bites (I.e haemolysis, rhabdomyolysis etc.) is pretty damn rare in the case of most Loxosceles, although L.laeta at least, has caused fatalities, but where a recluse is pretty small, Sicarius spp. are about the size of a man's palm, known instances of human bites are rare, but out of two cases, one guy died, other one lost an arm.

At least with neurotoxic spiders, if it's treated, or if it doesn't need treatment, but the cytolytic venom is downright ugly stuff and will leave hideous messes behind that last a lifetime.

And I remembered the name....Illawarra, thats the bugger.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2019, 04:58:12 AM »
The Illawarra region is about 20 minutes drive from me.

Offline Bastet

• Psychotic Mentally Deficient Deranged Bitch
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • MeOW!
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2019, 07:12:59 PM »

I'm a little scared of spiders. Just like Americans have tornado drills at school and sometimes grow up scared of bad weather, we used to have a spider expert come around every year and teach us about the spiders that could kill us and what to do when we got bitten. A great way to produce a generation of kids with arachnophobia. It didn't always have the desired effect, one of my friends used to carry a deadly redback around in a matchbox, and take it out on a regular basis to tease it and make it try to bite him. Nobody did that with funnel web spiders, we were all well scared of those.

Stairs, I really don't like them.

My daughter is terrified of crabs. Mostly the little ones like soldier crabs.
.  Those things are terrifying to me. I hate having to fish out a utensil. I am so paranoid it will turn on by itself or some idiot will flip the switch by accident.
:kitten: OBSESSIVE AILUROPHILE :kitten:

It is far better for people to hate you for doing the right thing than for people to love you for doing the wrong thing. Never ever forget that.