Educational

Author Topic: Hand in your Geek Card. What movies are a must see?  (Read 3652 times)

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Hand in your Geek Card. What movies are a must see?
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2008, 01:30:02 AM »
any chance of taking the cinematic stand-off to the call out forum?

GalileoAce

« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2008, 01:37:22 AM »
Lucifer I don't think that's possible... Films and the enjoyment of them is so tied to opinion that there is little to no evidence to back up someone's opinion, therefore a call out would be nigh impossible.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2008, 01:46:23 AM »
good point.   :thumbup:

however, i do believe there's a way of defending one's opinion by arguing the merits (or not) of aspects of a film/book/play etc., which the argument above doesn't appear to do, not to me, anyway.

that's why words like "good", "boring", "brilliant" etc. are banned in my writing classes - they tell us nothing about the film/book etc. apart from a subjective opinion.  if someone can back up that opinion with reasoning, evidence and qualification, that's fine.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 01:48:39 AM by Lucifer »

GalileoAce

« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2008, 02:05:09 AM »

however, i do believe there's a way of defending one's opinion by arguing the merits (or not) of aspects of a film/book/play etc., which the argument above doesn't appear to do, not to me, anyway.

that's why words like "good", "boring", "brilliant" etc. are banned in my writing classes - they tell us nothing about the film/book etc. apart from a subjective opinion.  if someone can back up that opinion with reasoning, evidence and qualification, that's fine.

Yes that would be an interesting callout thread...Sadly I don't think many people on here are capable of such.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2008, 04:34:59 AM »
i am!  but then, what i know about films wouldn't take up much bandwidth.  :(

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2008, 04:41:49 AM »
Lucifer I don't think that's possible... Films and the enjoyment of them is so tied to opinion that there is little to no evidence to back up someone's opinion, therefore a call out would be nigh impossible.

My whole point. No need for further argument, IMO.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

GalileoAce

« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2008, 04:43:11 AM »
i am!  but then, what i know about films wouldn't take up much bandwidth.  :(

You're one out of...?

Like I said, not many.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2008, 05:44:13 AM »

Agreed! The defending of values and principle of such would I imagine get very heated and VERY funny for onlookers.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Grumpy Composer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2008, 07:31:59 AM »
Want a *serious* discussion about film? Get rid of the holier-than-thou attitude.

Or discuss it with somebody who actually wishes to discuss... unlike you. Go take a running jump, Odeon... it is you who made this an issue.

I'm not about to engage in a pissing contest with you as to who has seen the more films or not... talk about irrelevant.

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #84 on: September 26, 2008, 07:36:04 AM »

Hey, I was just suggesting a handful of films that I consider 'must see'... its Odeon who has the problem and caused one. Why he cannot just accept that I've simply posted what I have... I do not know.

Has he posted a 'must see' selection in this thread yet? I wouldn't have treated his selection like he has treated mine. Very ignorant and unnecessary of him.

GalileoAce

« Reply #85 on: September 26, 2008, 07:37:18 AM »
Topic lost

GalileoAce

« Reply #86 on: September 26, 2008, 07:37:46 AM »

Hey, I was just suggesting a handful of films that I consider 'must see'... its Odeon who has the problem and caused one. Why he cannot just accept that I've simply posted what I have... I do not know.

Has he posted a 'must see' selection in this thread yet? I wouldn't have treated his selection like he has treated mine. Very ignorant and unnecessary of him.

I believe it was the way you posted your must sees.

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #87 on: September 26, 2008, 07:40:14 AM »

Fine by me. I'm up for that so long as Odeon starts a thread with his rationale and I can actually read exactly what he is getting at. Otherwise its a bit of an open question for me and I might miss the matters he has the problems with.

He's the guy who has problems with my selection in the first place after all. If it is not important enough for him to do this, then perhaps in future it would be wiser for him to stay silent rather than launch into assumptions about my motivation in suggesting titles as 'must see'.

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #88 on: September 26, 2008, 07:43:50 AM »
I believe it was the way you posted your must sees.

Here's my original must see post...
Playing my Nerd card rather than my Geek card...

Everybody should watch 'Citizen Kane'.

Everybody should also watch 'Vertigo', 'A touch of Evil', 'Psycho' and 'Peeping Tom'.

I could probably list hundreds of other movies everybody should watch... but Nerdish rather than Geekish.

What did I do wrong?

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #89 on: September 26, 2008, 07:49:25 AM »
But that's the thing, chill out. I mean the Star Wars prequels were listed and most people jump on that shit and bag it out. Me personally, I like the films, they aren't the best films ever made or probably anywhere near it, but I enjoy the story, the characters and the universe it's set in. I'm a fan.

I think there are many different aspects of a film to appreciate and you don't have to like all of them. For some though, I guess any of these can be deal breakers and that's cool too, for them.

Sure it hurts when someone attacks something you like. It almost feels personal too, but that isn't a reason to attack back. It's time to agree to disagree or admit you like/dislike those films for different reasons.

(Edited to make more sense 'cos I can't type for shit obviously).
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 10:14:35 AM by Lord Phlexor »