Author Topic: Hand in your Geek Card. What movies are a must see?  (Read 3644 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Hand in your Geek Card. What movies are a must see?
« Reply #120 on: September 27, 2008, 01:36:49 PM »

Does "not a film buff" mean that you are not even aware which movies you bring up to talk about?

<clip>

right, so can we talk about shrek 2 now, please?  :eyelash:

:rofl:

Thank you. I needed a rofl
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #121 on: September 27, 2008, 01:57:42 PM »

Does "not a film buff" mean that you are not even aware which movies you bring up to talk about?

mostly i am, although not if i've been taken over by the pod people for the evening.  :P  ;)

did i mention a film about a train crash, then?   ???

<clip>

right, so can we talk about shrek 2 now, please?  :eyelash:

:rofl:

Thank you. I needed a rofl

you're welcome, and deserving.  :-*

GalileoAce

« Reply #122 on: September 27, 2008, 02:01:48 PM »
did i mention a film about a train crash, then?   ???

I was referring to the thread itself :P

But Unbreakable did.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #123 on: September 27, 2008, 02:43:25 PM »
I completely agree with you. Until the French turned up, Hitchcock was mocked because he was successful by these sorts of idiots. I completely agree with you, 100% on this. The amount of times great films (including those later recognised as great) are crushed by these people.

Hitchcock always knew how to make a good film, meaning *entertaining*, much like someone like Spielberg does. They know how to use the tools at their disposal. And that's really all that matters in the end, that when you sit down to watch, you are entertained. You are in good hands.

Thing is, the first time I saw Peeping Tom was probably twenty years ago and I can freely admit I didn't really understand it. I thought it to be rather slow and dull, in spite of the shocking theme. The drama to me now is much like Internet drama, as such rather tedious at best. ;) Since, I've had the opportunity to watch it again, several times, since it used to be a frequent rerun at my cinema. Apart from the colours disappearing, I found it to be pretty much what I remembered it to be. I still thought it to be disappointing, far from the horror it was advertised as, and never as shocking as advertised. Could be that I'm an aspie, could be that it's not my thing, but I never bought it.

I have never found 'Peeping Tom' to be either shocking or a Horror movie. Historically, together with 'Psycho' they are the roots of the 'Slasher' sub genre... though hugely better than many that followed them - undenyably significant in film history... and that alone merits that they be seen at least once by those interested in film.

Never found Peeping Tom to be much of a slasher movie, either. ;)

I love Psycho, though, not because of that shower sequence but because of Anthony Perkins' acting.

If 'Peeping Tom' is advertised as a Horror movie, then in my opinion it is mis-advertised and being wronged... just as the excellent 'Willard' remake was crippled by a misjudged advertising campaing and the original 'The Omen' almost suffered the same fate but was rescued. I have never thought of 'Peeping Tom' as a horror movie, but rather as a psychological drama which involves horrific elements. Perhaps this is the problem. Whilst you have every right not to like the film, perhaps your initial viewing was marred by the expectation of it being a Horror movie. Kind of like approaching 'A Matter of Life and Death' expecting a Fantasy Epic... bound to disappointment due to not meeting expectations.

Quite frankly I don't remember how Peeping Tom was advertised when I first saw it. I suspect I watched it on TV because someone suggested that I do it. I do remember that it was said to be "shocking".

The Omen I like, btw.

Yes it is slow compared the the fast editing of modern movies... but then 'Alien' was considered slow in its time. Studio Execs complained that nothing happened in 'Alien' for the first 20 minutes or so. 'The Vampyr' might also be considered slow... but I'd recommend that as a must see, along with both versions of 'Nosferatu'. I do not mind slow... Sergio Leone westerns might also be considered slow by today's fast paced breathless standards - yet their slowness permits them to breath and provides texture between the moments of sudden violence.

I really love the slow pace of the Nosferatu remake (assuming we're talking about the German film; can't remember how many remakes I've seen of the original silent film).

Sergio Leone was always a personal hero of mine, because of his story-telling abilities. Never considered his "westerns" to be slow, though, much in the same way I never saw Kurosawa's films as slow. Well, excepting some of his lesser pieces in modern settings.

Vertigo is a good film. Terrific, if you ask me. But I always found Harry more enjoyable. I laughed like a drain, the first time I saw it. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It made me feel good, and the film was so cleverly executed that it made me think *why* it made me feel so good. Which is why I analysed it, and picked it apart, because I was heavily involved in making films in those days.

Vertigo, on the other hand, is an excellent thriller but the ending pretty much destroyed it for me, with James Stewart cured at a cost. The symbolism was sickening to me. Don't get me wrong--the film's excellent craftsmanship. It's just that I didn't buy it, in spite of the build-up. It's typical Hitchcock but the conclusion wasn't satisfying to me. Which is why I would never list it as one of my favourites, in spite of the mastery of his craft.

I love down beat endings - lol. I love the ending of 'The Great Silence' ('Il Grande silenzio') greatly - lol. Can't get more downbeat than that. Watched David Lean's magnificent 'Doctor Zhivago' again tonight and that has a lovely down beat ending too. I love the fact that 'Vertigo' bucks the Hollywood trend of the happy ending. Its about destructive obsessive impossible forbidden love... and so, methinks, could not really end any other way. The final act is virtually one long drawn out soul-rape by way of agonising obsession.

I had no problems with Vertigo's downbeat ending--how the girl died, coupled with James Stewart's fear of heights, spoiled it for me, and because that happened a mere seconds before "The End", my disappointment meant more than perhaps it should have.

I have very mixed feelings about Dr Zhivago. I love the Maurice Jarre soundtrack, and the film, as anything by David Lean, is magnificent, but the film is a bit on the slow side. And I would have wanted everyone to speak Russian.

Great Expectations is my favourite David Lean film, along with Lawrence of Arabia.

I think 'The Trouble with Harry' is Hitchcock's most beautiful-looking film. And that opening sequence with the little boy playing in the woods, is absolutely fantastic... possibly my favourite Hitchcock opening. However, regardless as to how delicious a delight it is... I find it hinges on just one major joke... the very trouble with Harry. Sophisticated, but largelly singular and played out for the duration of the movie.

But that, to me, is one of the film's true strengths. Simplicity and precision. One joke is sometimes enough.

In the hands of a lesser Director, it would probably have run out of steam. It is, in the hands of Hitchcock, a magnificent dessert one can enjoy time and time again without it getting old - it was one of Hitchcock's personal favourites, and woefully underrated. It is just that, for me, 'Vertigo' is more of a main course and textured. I wouldn't say any of Hitchcock's films were typical Hitchcock, because he was ever so experimental in what he did. Even quota fillers like 'Dial M for Murder' have a touch of his genius about them... and are not typical. I do not think I could recognise a typical Hitchcock and I have 38 of his movies in my collection.

You've got a lot more of them than I do. I think I have around a dozen or so. :laugh:

Because of our argument, I re-watched 'Vertigo' again last night... trying to be with a more critical eye. The only real criticism I could find with it, is it tends to be a little bit on the talky side - quite a number of talking head sequences... which is causing me to re-evaluate where In put it in the Master's canon. It may stay in number one spot in my opinion, but I'm giving it some more thought. Its certainly got my second favourite Hitchcock opening with that magnificent rooftop chase - but an opening is just an opening - important but not the be all and end all :green:

Vertigo is a child of its time--lots of "talky" movies around that time. I don't know why that is, and it's certainly not a verifiable fact, just an observation of mine from having screened dozens of films from that period. Never bothered me, though. The dialogue is well-written.

Incidentally, most of what I ever will say on this board or elsewhere are just opinions. My opinions. As I said to Lucifer in an email just now, I'm an opinionated twunt.

No. You are more than entitled to your opinions. I'm very opinionated myself. I'd just sooner have had this excellent post of yours nearer the outset. This is a post I can really respect. Attacks on my motivations because my choice happens to go hand in hand with the PCs of some stuffed shirts, does not go down at all well.

Thank you for clarifying that for me--I didn't see you as a PC sort of person before this discussion, and so grossly misinterpreted what you said.

Remember what the critics say about 'Citizen Kane' and I'm not about to suggest we both rate that film highly because of some misplaced political correctness rather than our honest and informed opinions :eyebrows:

Citizen Kane blew my mind away when I first saw it. The acting, editing, the fast-paced story... I could go on. It's not my all-time favourite but it comes close.

Let's stop this, shall we? We both love Goldsmith, and that means a lot in my book. ;)

I quite agree. I'd far sooner have fun discussing movies than the sort of thing we were doing earlier.

Thank you for your excellent explaination of your position and reasons, Odeon. :green:

Thank you for listening.

I'll stop now cos people are turning green all around us. :P
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Grumpy Composer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #124 on: September 28, 2008, 06:27:25 AM »
okay, especially if you make candles out of your earwax.  :P

:o Have you been spying on me :o

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #125 on: September 28, 2008, 06:28:43 AM »

moi?  but of course, silly.

:witch1:

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #126 on: September 28, 2008, 06:37:23 AM »

Oh dear... I'll have to watch that I don't do anything embarrassing while you're flying overhead :lol:

PS... I like you're new Avatar :green:

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #127 on: September 28, 2008, 06:56:40 AM »

Oh dear... I'll have to watch that I don't do anything embarrassing while you're flying overhead :lol:

too late, but it's okay - there are loads of spam emails about lengthening your penis, you'll be fine.   :thumbup:

PS... I like you're new Avatar :green:

ooooooh, ta - two votes already.  :belly:

:laugh:

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #128 on: September 28, 2008, 06:59:12 AM »

I once had a debate on a film-making thread regarding whether 'Psycho' be included among the Slasher genre or not. I maintained that, although the Slasher sub-genre had not been recognised back then, 'Psycho' should be included in the sub-genre because it has all the distinguishing genre indicators.

With 'Peeping Tom' ;) ;) ;) I would agree that its not part of the sub-genre... but is more of an Impaler movie :green: (Part of the roots though - lol)

I love Psycho, though, not because of that shower sequence but because of Anthony Perkins' acting.

I totally agree. Perkins was amazing in the movie. I also like the fact that the principal character... who we identify with as an audience is killed off in the middle of the movie thus transfering the audience eye to the serial killer making him sympathetic. Making we into him. A stroke of pure genius doing that. I think if 'Vertigo' stops being number one among Hitchcock's canon in my eyes, only 'Psycho' could take that place.

My favourite sequence in the entire movie is Marion's car journey. A Director's complete trust in the abilities of his composer :green: Bernard Herrmann alone makes the sequence so brilliant.

Great Expectations is my favourite David Lean film, along with Lawrence of Arabia.

I really will have to revisit David Lean's 'Great Expectations'. My favourite David Lean has to be 'Lawrence of Arabia' beyond a shadow of a doubt... with 'The Bridge Over the River Kwai' as runner up.

Vertigo is a child of its time--lots of "talky" movies around that time. I don't know why that is, and it's certainly not a verifiable fact, just an observation of mine from having screened dozens of films from that period. Never bothered me, though. The dialogue is well-written.

Certainly agreed. However, it was the only fault I could find with 'Vertigo' when, as a result of our debate, I re-watched it with my critical eyes in ;D I suppose the abruptness of the film ending could also be added - which is shares with 'North by Northwest'... a sudden ending when perhaps a little of a story coda might have been preferable. It does finish too suddenly, I agree - especially in light of the pacing of the rest of the movie.

Citizen Kane blew my mind away when I first saw it. The acting, editing, the fast-paced story... I could go on. It's not my all-time favourite but it comes close.

'Citizen Kane'... shuddering at mirroring the common Critics line... is quite possible the best, or one of the best, movies ever made. It isn't my favourite movie ('Link' is), and I prefer 'Touch of Evil' as more enjoyable in Orson Welles' canon... but it is a truly magnificent piece of work worthy, I think, of the vaulted position it holds in film history. :)

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #129 on: September 28, 2008, 07:00:37 AM »

I once had a debate on a film-making thread regarding whether 'Psycho' be included among the Slasher genre or not...

etc.

and there was me, getting right into discussing your penis, too.  :(

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #130 on: September 28, 2008, 07:01:07 AM »

too late, but it's okay - there are loads of spam emails about lengthening your penis, you'll be fine.   :thumbup:

I'll have you know I got caught in the branches of that tree purely by complete accident. :-[

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #131 on: September 28, 2008, 07:03:50 AM »
...and there was me, getting right into discussing your penis, too.  :(

Shades of the chest burster scene from 'Alien' :o

« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 07:08:51 AM by Nocturnalist! »

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #132 on: September 28, 2008, 08:49:24 AM »
* Galileo The Hutt watches as this train becomes horribly derailed

See, this is what happens when you don't see a movie like War Games;)

GalileoAce

« Reply #133 on: September 28, 2008, 08:51:03 AM »
Hey I create intro videos for online role play, I think my geek card is quite secure :P

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #134 on: September 28, 2008, 09:48:41 AM »
Hey I create intro videos for online role play, I think my geek card is quite secure :P

Yeah, well.... CARN THE HAWKS!